Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

"Zeke"- '72 510 2Dr


  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 Tedman

Tedman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Harbor City, CA
  • Cars:'72 Datsun 510 (x2), '05 Xterra (VQ40DE Donor?), '62 Porsche 356 Coupe (project)

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

Well, it's not looking good for driving Zeke to JCCS.  All of the exhaust valves are leaky.  I tested first with the valves installed without valve springs. The head was inverted with valves and spark plugs installed and I poured kerosene into each combustion chamber and watched for leakage into the ports. All intakes were leak free but all exhausts leaked. Crap! Thinking that maybe the valve spring pressure would help, I installed the valve springs on #2 exhaust, and repeated the test. Same result. Looks like it's time for a valve job! I'll give Top End Performance a call Monday morning and see what they can do. They did the setup on this head.

 

I measured the valve stem wear and it is minimal (<0.002") on all valves. I repeated the wiggle test with everything cleaned up, and the exhausts are loose enough that I'm expecting the guides will need to be replaced. The intakes are still pretty tight, but might be best to just do them all.  Fortunately S.I. is local, so getting new valves and guides should be quick. Turnaround will most likely depend on TEP's work queue. Not holding my breath...


-Tedman

"Bolt it up and let it happen" -Anon

#102 Tedman

Tedman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Harbor City, CA
  • Cars:'72 Datsun 510 (x2), '05 Xterra (VQ40DE Donor?), '62 Porsche 356 Coupe (project)

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

Looks like I'll need some new valve springs, too.  These were the inner springs on #1 EX, #2 IN and #4 IN.  They all snapped in nearly the same spot, about 1 3/4 coils from the bottom.  Not sure what's going on here.

fF2BxEq.jpg

 

Thinking that they might be close to coil bind at max lift, I made some measurements and there's about 0.22" margin between length at max lift and length at coil bind. Not sure if that's ok or marginal. These are AmeriCam springs. Specs are:  300 #/in rate, nominal freelength 2.08", 110# seat force @ 1.70" installed height, 254# force at cam max lift of .480".   Cam is an AmeriCam O65 grind,  .480"/280deg advertised.

LEDZQDz.jpg

 

 


-Tedman

"Bolt it up and let it happen" -Anon

#103 Tedman

Tedman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Harbor City, CA
  • Cars:'72 Datsun 510 (x2), '05 Xterra (VQ40DE Donor?), '62 Porsche 356 Coupe (project)

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Today I picked up Zeke from TSR. Mario's stainless steel exhaust system is a thing of beauty.  Too bad hardly anyone will ever see it!  A few pics while Zeke was still on the lift:

6TrZJJC.jpg

x1ZLWKg.jpg

 

DVIgoNt.jpg

 

He also drilled a new hole on either side of the tranny tunnel for the foreward most tranny crossmember bolts, tack welded the nuts, and opened up the tunnel cutout a little more:

gRFvRvp.jpg

 

v2mhW35.jpg

 

The Comp clutch disc I was planning to re-use had some loose marcel springs so I ordered a new stock disc from Exedy.

Y5vXSmG.jpg

 

Glad to have Zeke back in the garage.  While the mock up engine is still in place, I think I will work on the engine wire harness,  fuel line, remote oil filter, and oil pressure sender plumbing, among other things...


-Tedman

"Bolt it up and let it happen" -Anon