Ok, today I took a look at caliper/tie-rod clearance. First, a review of the setup:
280ZX struts shortened for AW11 MR2 rear inserts
280ZX calipers and rotors
Stock '69 front crossmember
Ride height set at 6" at rocker horizontal surface aft of front wheel arch as measured at notch in pinch weld
Stock 510 Lower Control Arm w/ DP Racing monoball bushings
Stock tie rods
DP Racing 1" Roll Center Adjusters (aka Bumpsteer Spacers)
Here's a few gratuitous pics showing the ride height. Wheels are powder coated AR Libre 14x5.5 with some old 195/55 tires and 15mm spacers (front only). Keep in mind there's no drivetrain installed. I just adjusted the front coilovers to mimic something close to the final ride height. Like I said in a previous post, it keeps getting lower which is a good thing!
Now, back to the experiment. I have a set of worn Porterfield R-4 pads and compared them to the new R-4S pads. Total thickness was approx. 20.3 mm for the new pads and 11.4 mm for the worn pads. Pad material thickness was approx.10.6 mm for the new pads and 5.4 mm for the worn pads, so pad life was at approx. 50%. Comparison pic of the pads:
I installed the worn pads in the RF caliper and moved the caliper fully inboard such that the outer pad was snug against the rotor. Then I cranked the wheel full left lock. Here's how much clearance there was:
Full right lock was similar, but harder to photograph, hence no pic. It's hard to project the amount of clearance in the correct plane from the photo, but I'm pretty confident from what I observed that there will be sufficient clearance (>5mm) even with fully worn pads. In my case, I don't see a need to swap the struts side-to-side.
In other news, shortly after this experiment I loaded the car onto a trailer and took it to my buddy's shop for replacement of the damaged driver's side front floor, final fitting of the repaired LF Fender, and rolling of the fender arches. Really looking forward to getting the metal work completed!