My D21

hitch

85, JDM RHD

4x4 crew cab

1.8 Z engine, single plug 5 speed

Under 8000 miles

Now I need to get it titled in GA and find a tailgate.

It seems like the body is a cross between a 720, and Hardbody

The bed is early 720 and the balance is part Hardbody and 720

RuxlBdp.jpgADuMf8o.jpgRt4TfyK.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No 720 bed ever came with that distinct D21 body line in it.

It's just a utility bed with external tie downs, very common outside the US.  Super common on an Aussie built truck like yours.

Thanks Rjawm, so will any US tailgates work on it. I bought it in a blinding thunderstorm, so haven't spent any time with it yet.

Thanks Rjawm, so will any US tailgates work on it. I bought it in a blinding thunderstorm, so haven't spent any time with it yet.

I doubt any US version will fit.  Could find one out of Mexico though, they had that bed too.  That'd be the closest place to have one shipped from I would think.

BTW, I figured it went without saying, you got a very nice truck there, I'm definitely jealous :thumbup:

I saw the Craigslist ad for this truck awhile back, it was just too far away for me.

Here are a couple listings on eBay.au for a couple of the Nissan Navara D21 double cab, your truck, that you might try to contact about having a tailgate shipped to you.  It most likely will cost 2 times the tailgate itself for the shipping.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WRECKING-1987-NISSAN-NAVARA-D21-ALL-PARTS-WHEEL-NUT-ONLY-FOR-SALE-/261447295335?hash=item3cdf792167:g:5h8AAOxyBvZTQ3aP

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1989-Nissan-Navara-D21-Fuel-Flap-C132-/191887671899?hash=item2cad65825b:g:nAoAAOSwMmBVwZLL

• Like 1

Super Sweet Truck

8000mi  :w00t:

Rjawm is spot on about doubting any US version will fit.

For some reason Nissan made truck beds model specific but made tailgates year/market specific.

Sucks, might wanna go with a tailgate net until you can find a cherry D21 tailgate and modify it to work.

Damn that truck is clean.

How did it end up in GA?

Here is the importers web site

ottoex.com

It's still listed with lots of pictures.  I went to NJ and picked it up.  Still 6 hours from GA.

Thanks for the tailgate info!  Now I know what to shop for.

Wow! really nice find! Did they make a hard body in 85?

I guess they did late 85, I've been in contact with a nissan parts exporter on ebay.  He said it is a D21 (Hardbody) 85-89 parts are the same for international, and is sending me a tailgate, latch and the bedside latch stuff.  Guess I'll see what arrives.

• Like 1

Update:  The registration and title were easy, (ottoex.com) supplied all the required forms except the vin check required by GA.  I printed the form and stopped by the local Sheriff's dept and they had it filled out in 5 minutes. 

I drove it about 30 miles today, the sweet spot on the highway is about 62 mph, way buzzy and about maxed out on power past that.  There is also an annoying buzz alarm hidden under the dash that starts up when the speed hits 65, is that a JDM thing? 

Below, ready for the big tow!

20170303_145102_resized.jpg20170303_140919_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Small project last night, the raise and rear movement for better seating position and leg room.

148d89e.jpg

Now some stick on 3M hooks for the seat belts, now they won't get slammed in the door all the time.

29q1wlz.jpg

• Like 1

I drove it about 30 miles today, the sweet spot on the highway is about 62 mph, way buzzy and about maxed out on power past that.  There is also an annoying buzz alarm hidden under the dash that starts up when the speed hits 65, is that a JDM thing? 

Yeah, that's a JDM thing. You can cut it out of the wiring with no hassle, after you find it.

Those tailgates are a dime a dozen here, but as Rjawm said, shipping from NZ to the US would be a killer.

The new tailgate arrived from Greece, the ebay vendor really came through.  Color is a little off, but It'll do till I decide how to paint it.  I'm thinking about a Yellow, Hammer Grey, and flat Black like a end of the road barrier with diagonal stripes. 

6iqkaq.jpg

• Like 2

The new tailgate arrived from Greece, the ebay vendor really came through.  Color is a little off, but It'll do till I decide how to paint it.  I'm thinking about a Yellow, Hammer Grey, and flat Black like a end of the road barrier with diagonal stripes. 

6iqkaq.jpg

Looks awesome, glad you found one so quick that was at a price that worked for you.

If you want to sell the wheels you pulled off it let me know!

I'll be keeping the original wheels, the tires are in perfect shape, just 20yr old per the date code, and the  size was non existent here..  So found the taco wheels with new tires here locally.

Looks awesome, glad you found one so quick that was at a price that worked for you.

$320 shipped with all mounting hardware from Europe, 5 days shipping time.  Yep, I'm way happy.

• Like 1