Single sidedraft info only

Crashtd420

A stock fuel pump (Nissan brand) usually supplies 4 psi. Don't know about aftermarket pumps, but it sounds like your has too much.

It's important to distinguish between cheap and good quality fuel regulators. A cheap regulator (like the ebay kind with the large dial on it) will restrict fuel flow. A good regulator, like the Holley unit, does not restrict flow. If you get a Holley regulator, you will also need a gauge. Once you get the pressure set, you can remove the gauge if you don;t want to look at it.

And make sure you get the "low pressure" Holley regulator (1-4 psi).

Or you could spend the money elsewhere and get an OEM Nissan fuel pump.

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running some cheap mechanical fuel pump, not sure what happened to my stock one. I replaced it at some point trying to get an issue resolved. As far as timing.... I'm not there yet. My cousin in law is going to let me borrow his light, my crapsman took a crap. Wideband is going in tomorrow which should help with tuning after I find out where I set down my solder....

I'll make sure to contribute to this thread once I get everything lined out.

Should be within the next few days

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So i know I posted this else where but I will add it here... I am running a p4070 carter fuel pump... it was putting out 6+psi.. and recently I couldn't start my truck... flooded with gas... well after I installed a regulator and set it to about 3 psi the motor fired right up, the weber was much happier.... 24 hrs later started no problem... so having the correct psi seems to matter, at least I believe it does.. i feel it was causing a rich start and running condition... so know my question is how much was that effecting my air/fuel ratio?. I knew i needed to rejet but now i feel base line from the dyno is wrong from the extra fuel preasure...

i I guess the wideband o2 setup will be coming sooner than later...

• 3 weeks later...

Crashtd420- i want to know where u bought the fuel pressure regulator. i recently bought one but will not lower the psi bellow 9. This might be the cause of my car running rich all the time. Im running an l16 stock. i dont know what head it has. the carburetor is weber 48 on cannon manifold. trying to get my car to run right. I put a wideband 02 sensor yesterday and found out it is running really rich idle. i dont know how to adjust the carb to idle. just putting out there what my problems are

• 3 weeks later...

But I did just buy two ka24e engines for $150... so I might be running something different next year anyway

what?  

how could this be?  

were they exploded? 

where were the ka when i wanted one?  i had to buy a stupid sr.   pssshhhhttt 

One motor has a stuck valve, the other has a spun bearing.

So make one good motor, build the other for fun (maybe turbo)

Even came with a felpro complete engine gasket kit, ecu and wiring

I'm going to do some tuning tomorrow, try and figure out what's going on. It's running stoic all the way up to 1/2 throttle, then leans out and starts running like crap. I wonder if I'm running too much or too little advance

what?

how could this be?

were they exploded?

where were the ka when i wanted one? i had to buy a stupid sr. pssshhhhttt

I've been looking non stop for weeks, can't believe no one bought them before me. They were on Craigslist for almost a full day, some dude tried low balling him at $130, which he was going to take if it didn't sell by this weekend.... as if

Not sure timing will help with the air fuel.... I asked that during my dyno run... I was rich and I asked about adjusting the timing more? the guy at the dyno said it wouldn't matter to much till I adjusted my jets....

Might be time for you to look inside the carb and see what you have for jets, and even what size venturis.. my initial thought is to decrease the size of the air corrector..

20170517_081744_zps8c8ohbwn.jpg

20170517_081634_zps1galsdwz.jpg

Is it more throttle position related?

What about your rpm range your running while testing?

On the dyno I went wide open at 2500 up to 5000 for a baseline....

Aeromotive makes a low pressure regulator that actually works well, unlike the Holley setups that surge like crazy, but you pay for it.  The good thing is this regulator flows enough fuel to supply a Weber, where the Holley may have issues.  

Timing helps lean out fuel mixture, but only to a certain extent.  Jetting needs to be done as well.  I didn't see a post of your AFR and RPM from the dyno...

• Like 1

Willz didn't go, and my dyno run is almost irrelevant ( I thought I put it in this thread)... either way I had to much fuel pressure.

Afr ratio was ok at idle But basically at 2000rpm afr was up to 14, spiked lean when I went full throttle then afr dropped to about 9 or 10, then back up to 12 around 3500rpm till 5000rpm...

And so far I've noticed no surging with the Holley regulator, seemed pretty steady, dropped about 1 psi from idle to full throttle but stayed stable ....

How much does the pump matter? Maybe the type of pump and volume may make a differece to how the regulator performs not sure...

I'm running the stock fuel pump. Having issues with it stumbling on its face on anything more than 1/4-1/2 throttle. Not sure it's a fuel delivery issue or a tuning issue

Make sure your accelerator pump is squirting properly, there should be an adjustment to it, I know Mikuni does have it.

I actually backed the timing down a little bit and increased the idle mixture and voila! Runs a crap ton better.

Still not super healthy feeling, but it's not having the crappy stutter anymore and I'm not leaning out as much, sitting around 15.5 (lean) at full throttle now.

I'm going to pull plugs on my days off and regap or replace them as well as the fuel filter. I think I heard it making a weird sucking sound, couldn't pinpoint where the sound was coming from.