New to Datsun

Hello, I just turned 15 and am starting to look for my first car. I'm very interested in the Datsun 510. But before I buy the thing I want to know what I'm getting into, plus I don't have the money at the moment lol. I kinda just want to know the basics. My grandpa has a Datsun 66 (or 67 can't remember) wagon, so I kinda know a little about Datsuns. But I Just want to know what the pros and cons are pretty much. What's the avg. MPG for the 510's? Cost? Also, are they common/uncommon in central California? I hear a lot about engine swaps in the 510 is that something I should look into if I decide to get one? I really appreciate it if you took the time to read this and provide me the information and any other information is also very helpful! Thank you so much!!!

• Like 2
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't know a lot about car you will after owning a Datsun.

Pros and cons are a personal preference thing. Go thru some builds and some technical threads and youll get a good idea for what you like/don't like.

Avg mpg depends on driving style, carb, engine tranny and rear gear combo.

In central Cali you're going to be finding a runner driver for around $5k

Fairly common in California from Mexico to Oregon.

As far as swaps go stay away from a hack job, there are plenty of them out there. Don't buy so.eones half finished projects unless you are good with wiring.

Most common engine swap is L20b. This swap is a straight drop in as it is just a larger version of the factory L16/L18

Then there are plenty with a slightly newer Z series engine swapped in, could be carburators or fuel injected.

The KA24 swap is pretty popular, there are two versions of this engine, so gle came and dual cam. The single cam (ka24e) is a more simple swap and it can be carb. The dual cam (ka24de) is I slight power bump of the sohc and it's most always fuel injected.

The sr20 is another common swap, usually in turbo charged form (sr20det). This is almost double the factory horsepower so it's hard on the drivetrain.

Less common is the vg30, which is a v6. Roughly the same horsepower as the ka24 but about half again as much torque.

Hope that answers your questions.

• Like 1

If you don't know a lot about car you will after owning a Datsun.

Pros and cons are a personal preference thing. Go thru some builds and some technical threads and youll get a good idea for what you like/don't like.

Avg mpg depends on driving style, carb, engine tranny and rear gear combo.

In central Cali you're going to be finding a runner driver for around $5k

Fairly common in California from Mexico to Oregon.

As far as swaps go stay away from a hack job, there are plenty of them out there. Don't buy so.eones half finished projects unless you are good with wiring.

Most common engine swap is L20b. This swap is a straight drop in as it is just a larger version of the factory L16/L18

Then there are plenty with a slightly newer Z series engine swapped in, could be carburators or fuel injected.

The KA24 swap is pretty popular, there are two versions of this engine, so gle came and dual cam. The single cam (ka24e) is a more simple swap and it can be carb. The dual cam (ka24de) is I slight power bump of the sohc and it's most always fuel injected.

The sr20 is another common swap, usually in turbo charged form (sr20det). This is almost double the factory horsepower so it's hard on the drivetrain.

Less common is the vg30, which is a v6. Roughly the same horsepower as the ka24 but about half again as much torque.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks a ton! greatly appreciated.

If 15, no money and little mechanical experience get a Honda. You need something that will get you around cheap and not need fixing and maintaining. A car that any mechanic can fix and parts everywhere for it. Don't get me wrong, Datsuns can be very reliable but they need to be maintained and an owner with some experience with them or you'll be paying some idiot mechanic $80 an hour to learn how to rebuild your carb. That's right, a mechanic today knows about as much as you do about a 510 so why pay HIM to learn when you should be learning.

Get a job and save up for one. I imagine $5-8K now a days. Again you want a runner not a fixer-upper. While saving, learn all you can about the 510 so you wont over pay for something that needs more work than you are willing to do. Best thing, is one that is as complete and finished as you can afford. Don't buy one that is half way through an engine swap or needs any work or it will just sit by the curb. Don't try to restore one that can take years or many thousands of dollars. Know where all the bad short cuts are made by other owners who are selling. Know more than they do about what they are selling. 

• Like 3

I'd say buying the Honda or another beater with a heater, like Mike said, is solid advise. But you should buy your 510 too. Use the beater to learn to drive, do all the stupid hot-shoting that a 16 year old will naturally do, get in your first drifting wreck.... All the while fixing up your 510. Then after you have sometime behind the wheel bring out the Datsun.

Stay away from motor swaps for a while if other than the L20. Just enjoy the car. After driving it for a while and understanding how a 50 year old car handles than think about a sr20det or other. No kid should drive a sr20det for their first car. It will just get them killed or at least send the car to scrap

• Like 1

If 15, no money and little mechanical experience get a Honda. You need something that will get you around cheap and not need fixing and maintaining. A car that any mechanic can fix and parts everywhere for it. Don't get me wrong, Datsuns can be very reliable but they need to be maintained and an owner with some experience with them or you'll be paying some idiot mechanic $80 an hour to learn how to rebuild your carb. That's right, a mechanic today knows about as much as you do about a 510 so why pay HIM to learn when you should be learning.

Get a job and save up for one. I imagine $5-8K now a days. Again you want a runner not a fixer-upper. While saving, learn all you can about the 510 so you wont over pay for something that needs more work than you are willing to do. Best thing, is one that is as complete and finished as you can afford. Don't buy one that is half way through an engine swap or needs any work or it will just sit by the curb. Don't try to restore one that can take years or many thousands of dollars. Know where all the bad short cuts are made by other owners who are selling. Know more than they do about what they are selling. 

Thanks! It's funny you said that because the plan is that my grandma is gonna give me her 2004 honda, and I was gonna drive it then sell it for the datsun. I'm also gonna be working with my grandpa this summer for the rest of the cash. My grandpa, whom I'm very close too, is a big car guy and will be helping me with the car. Your advice is very appreciated Thanks a ton! 

I'd say buying the Honda or another beater with a heater, like Mike said, is solid advise. But you should buy your 510 too. Use the beater to learn to drive, do all the stupid hot-shoting that a 16 year old will naturally do, get in your first drifting wreck.... All the while fixing up your 510. Then after you have sometime behind the wheel bring out the Datsun.

Stay away from motor swaps for a while if other than the L20. Just enjoy the car. After driving it for a while and understanding how a 50 year old car handles than think about a sr20det or other. No kid should drive a sr20det for their first car. It will just get them killed or at least send the car to scrapath

Thanks for the advice! very appreciated!

I was 15.... a long time ago. That year my dad bought a one year old '64 Dodge (slant six) and the Chrysler Street Hemi was the hot new engine at Daytona. That's all I thought about for years. I didn't get his old '51 Chev but in '68 when I was working, I did buy that '64 off him and two years later I had enough for a new '70 Dodge Dart 340. Just glad I didn't have it when I was 15.

• Like 1

Don't buy a datsun for your first car.. unless you want to be late everywhere you go. At least until you know how to fix it. It's a tin can with 4 wheels.. and you WILL wreck your first car. Either hitting something.. backing into something.. or someone hitting you. It's just going to happen. It would be better for that to happen to a Honda where you can just get another one.

Seen it a bunch of times on here... over and over.

• Like 1

Somethings wrong here.

Polite - Check!

Respectful - Check!

Takes advice from us - Check!

Has a work ethic - Check!

Respects his elders (Grandparents) - Check!

Well done young fella, you can stay.

That shit right there buddy.

If you have someone who can teach you how to fix and maintain a vehicle then a Datsun won't be a problem for a first car.

• Like 1

If, and only if, you can find an original owner car with documented maintenance records, then have it checked out at an" Inspection Only" station!  They have nothing to gain if they push the test results to the repair status, or the DMV would have responded to the false high number of referrals.  I have 2 vehicles that have a high number of "sporty re--modificals" probable by stupid owners so have very much experiences in finding an appropriate inspection station!

Thanks! It's funny you said that because the plan is that my grandma is gonna give me her 2004 honda, and I was gonna drive it then sell it for the datsun. I'm also gonna be working with my grandpa this summer for the rest of the cash. My grandpa, whom I'm very close too, is a big car guy and will be helping me with the car. Your advice is very appreciated Thanks a ton! 

Like the others have pointed out. Keep the Honda, and save up for a side project. Then when you have both up and running you have a beater(daily driver) and a weekend car.

If, and only if, you can find an original owner car with documented maintenance records, then have it checked out at an" Inspection Only" station!  They have nothing to gain if they push the test results to the repair status, or the DMV would have responded to the false high number of referrals.  I have 2 vehicles that have a high number of "sporty re--modificals" probable by stupid owners so have very much experiences in finding an appropriate inspection station!

Thanks for the information!

I actually do have someone, Thanks!

FWIW, you have started on a really good direction, with, what is in written word, a very good attitude!

Assuming you are actually a 15 year old, kudos to you and your parents!

Dont fuck this up; Ratsun is not the place to do so (though im not suggesting you will).

Keep asking the questions; this site is a treasure trove of Datsun knowledge.

/lecturing from the grumpy old Straylian Datsun owner.

• Like 1