620 Starting Issues

Norcal Datsun 620

Turned out after I changed the head gasket I followed all the steps I needed to take I even watched the youtube video of h2theizzo put the truck back together and it wont start it turns over and there is fuel going into the carb but just wont start I'm starting to think my distributer is not working any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

re watch it again. Its simple..

take the center coil wire from the dist cap. this goes to the coil. remove that wire from the coil and place near the chassis. start truck. does it spark. if yes your OK. I NO. then recheck your wires , power ect......

motor TDC com stroke time to Zero on crank. Install the dist and where it locks down that should be called number 1 plug wire. now your timming plate should have enough adjustment to dial it in to run.

Unless you have all the valve lash so tight it wont fire cause you don't have compression.

Need spark and gas.

Pull any plug wire and put an old spark plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. crank engine over.... got spark????

Yes....

Set to TDC on the compression stroke (be sure) both #1 cam lobes should be upward at 10 (intake) and 2 o'clock  (exhaust) as seen from the front looking back. Look at rotor it's pointing to the #1 plug wire. Firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. Counter clockwise on the distributor.

If at TDC look through the cam sprocket and down to the cam thrust plate. The sprocket will have a notch on it and the thrust plate will have a small horizontal etched mark on it. It should look like this.... (with the exception that your L20B will be on the #2 hole on the sprocket)

motorLcamtiming.jpg

Distributor only goes in one way, can't be wrong unless the oil pump was removed.

Did you turn the cam at all when the head was off??????????

Well if the distributor wasn't out, the timing should not have changed. I suppose checking it's at 12 degrees BTDC would not hurt.

Check wires are 1, 3, 4, 2 firing order. 

The carb.... was it removed when the head was removed? Was the intake removed? Gasket leaking air, dirt stirred up in the fuel bowl blocking a jet. Vacuum hose off the intake. Idle cut solenoid not plugged in. Choke not plugged in.

Set TDC by turning the crank up to TDC in a clockwise direction only. Has to be the crank that is turned (not the cam sprocket), has to be clockwise. If you over shoot, back it up at least 1/4 turn counter clockwise and try again as many times as needed to get this right. Turning only clockwise is the only way to be sure all chain slack is removed from the tension side of the chain and get an accurate reading. Now...

Look through the cam sprocket and down to the cam thrust plate. The sprocket will have a notch on it and the thrust plate will have a small horizontal etched mark on it. It should look like this.... (with the exception that your L20B will be on the #2 hole on the sprocket)

motorLcamtiming.jpg

If the V notch is to the right of the line above it the cam is not timed.

have timming light?

let warm up if possible.

use timming light if you have to crank the dist all to one side to get running your most like off a tooth. but you can tell on that if you cant get it to run from 0 to +25deg BTDC. that is the movement on the distributor timming plate.

another quick methed is pull that 10mm bolt on the distributor and turn the dist and see if running better. this shows your off a tooth also.

• Like 1