tailgate brackets

86-720

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From another 720. Wrecking yard or abandoned truck. Another option is posting a want ad... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-body-and-interior/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc.... link at top of every page below the RATSUN.NET logo. Post a picture of what you want and the year and maybe someone can send you one.

As I've never had one, and not sure if it even applies here due to OP's truck being an '86, but could they be missing due to being an external latch bed?  Could the bed have been swapped at some point to an older model bed?  Without pics it's hard to know for sure.

Having never seen one up close or owned one I'm only guessing that they aren't needed since the external latch does all the work.

Just throwing it out there as a reason they could be missing.

BTW, I believe the official name for them is a striker plate, same (in name only unfortunately) as the door latch part.

I started doing some searching for the part and what I've found is that the D21 part is supposedly the same as the '86 720.  I've seen this before with other parts that aren't even close but this part seems like it might just work.  Might be worth picking up a pair from a junkyard if they're cheap enough just to test it.

This is a finished auction but it has good pics of the part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1994-NISSAN-HARDBODY-PICKUP-DOOR-LOCK-STRIKER-LATCH-BRACKET-90570-01G00-/401023585751?nma=true&si=NLO0VpRAJafY7ImxxizdEHVi7xo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

The lead in looks shorter but if the actual latch detent lines up it just might work.

This is the only other listing with promise I could find.  But you'd have to verify on your own.

https://www.factorynissanparts.com/parts/1986/Nissan/720/Sport%20Truck?siteid=214081&vehicleid=96594&section=BODY%20HARDWARE&group=TAILGATE&subgroup=TAILGATE&component=STRIKER

Good luck.

I tried a pair off of a d21 and they were different and won't work.

Good to know that info for sure, thanks.  It's always an issue when the only info you can find is some vague reference on an item description.

It seems to happen more with the parts listings for 1986 720's more than my 1985's.  The 1986.5 first year Hardbody screws up a lot of listings. 

The second link I posted was pulled up as being a 720 only part.  Availability may be an issue though, as I've come across many original Nissan parts listings for 720 parts, ordered them, only to receive an email later telling me my order has been cancelled due to the part being no longer available.  Kinda frustrating sometimes for sure.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind in my tailgate shopping. Very true Rjawm, I find this all the time when I say to a parts store "I want a (insert part) for a 1986 720, NOT a D-21 or hard body, and they give me D-21 parts anyways.

Good luck on the hunt 86-720.

Build dates from May through October of '85 were all '86 model year trucks

D-21 Hardbody.

Build dates starting November '85 and on are called '86 Mid Year trucks. I have a Hardbody '86 Mid Year FSM. In many cases a mid year truck is lumped in with the next full year in this case an '87.

Always refer to your build dates and be aware that an '86 could refer to a 720 or a Hardbody.

Build dates from May through October of '85 were all '86 model year trucks

D-21 Hardbody.

Build dates starting November '85 and on are called '86 Mid Year trucks. I have a Hardbody '86 Mid Year FSM. In many cases a mid year truck is lumped in with the next full year in this case an '87.

Always refer to your build dates and be aware that an '86 could refer to a 720 or a Hardbody.

It's not like we're the ones confused by it, it's the parts listings found on the interwebs that are incorrectly labeled or the low paid teen to 20-something behind the parts counter that doesn't give 2 shits that needs the help understanding lol.  Neither of these situations can be helped by knowing build dates.

Not once in the last 10 years have I found a parts store monkey that ever cared about a build date, or even would know what to do with the info if given to them, unless of course the computer told them to ask for it.  And all I really mess with is D21's and late model 720's, with an occasional 240sx haha.

My computers at work (O'Reilly Auto) don't care about the Nissan build date. They Do however care about 720 or d21. They are different choices in the list. Like rjawm said, most just don't give a damn to discover there were Nissan trucks before the Hardbody.

I just installed a tailgate with hinges from the wrecker via eBay. I bought the '85 with strikers, but no gate, hinges, or stays. I'm tempted to fab up some some stays from 1/8" x 3/4" strap. This was on eBay,

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Back-Door-Rear-Tail-Gate-Chain-for-Datsun-Nissan-720-Pickup-Truck-/182441871220?nav=SEARCH

but could someone please tell me if if half chain, like this aftermarket, is like Nissan OEM?

Strikers are adjustable relative to their fit on the body keeping the gate tight and correct in position. However, if you are inclined to fabricate, I'd be happy to draw my strikers in AutoCAD to share.

I just installed a tailgate with hinges from the wrecker via eBay. I bought the '85 with strikers, but no gate, hinges, or stays. I'm tempted to fab up some some stays from 1/8" x 3/4" strap. This was on eBay,

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Back-Door-Rear-Tail-Gate-Chain-for-Datsun-Nissan-720-Pickup-Truck-/182441871220?nav=SEARCH

but could someone please tell me if if half chain, like this aftermarket, is like Nissan OEM?

Strikers are adjustable relative to their fit on the body keeping the gate tight and correct in position. However, if you are inclined to fabricate, I'd be happy to draw my strikers in AutoCAD to share.

Not factory for any 720 I've ever seen in the US.

i put an 81 gate on my 83 and neither the hinge straps from the 81 nor 83 would work. the bolts holding them together are in different locations, so one set of straps makes the gate stick up when it's down, the other hangs it down too low, neither will fold up for the gate to close. right now i'm not running straps, but i'm thinking of using the spare tire chain threaded through a couple pieces of hose for now.

anyway, i have one of those brackets the OP is looking for, from the 81. it was missing one when i got it. you're welcome to it 86-720, but it might be a week or so before i get back out to the truck to pull it off.