I got it one piece at a time........

captain720

11 minutes ago, captain720 said:

I got the alternator business all figured out, lets just say everything that could be wrong with a charging system went wrong all at once. I don't like photo hosting sites anymore so I just make You Tube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4dUwdfaxKw

You can upload directly to the forum now. Cud’s are good too.. but better if embedded.

• Like 1
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Gatorade bottle is ratsunesque, most folks use cheap aluminum beer bottles (Coors screw top) but the clear plastic makes sense. The solenoid for the fuse panel doesn't make sense to me unless there are circuits that have a constant drain. A fuse that is below the rating of the supply wire should be located as close to the battery as possible.  Keep it simple and safe. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Gatorade bottle is ratsunesque, most folks use cheap aluminum beer bottles (Coors screw top) but the clear plastic makes sense. The solenoid for the fuse panel doesn't make sense to me unless there are circuits that have a constant drain. A fuse that is below the rating of the supply wire should be located as close to the battery as possible.  Keep it simple and safe. 

The solonoid turns the alternator and the choke heater on and off. both are a continuous drain if left unchecked and all the wires are larger than the fuse size. Everything overdone and safe. Factory wiring on a truck like this gets to a hopeless point and you just have to start making things work anyways. A water damaged fuse block is a nightmare.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Instagram hosting sucks after the first 24 hours then I have to click on the link to see the picture.

That's terrible, thanks for letting me know. It still shows embedded to me but it's my photo so that could be why

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

The Bearing on my power steering tensioner pulley got so bad the pulley actually flexed so far it would spark against the mount bracket when I tightened it up. I was able to find a napa pulley with the right size bearing and the machine shop pressed in my bushing for almost free.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Years ago, I had one fly apart on me. Sent the fan into the radiator about 1 1/2 miles from home. Good thing you caught it quick enough, mine wasn’t making a noise for long before it went. Looks like you might have a valve cover gasket issue as well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NC85ST said:

Years ago, I had one fly apart on me. Sent the fan into the radiator about 1 1/2 miles from home. Good thing you caught it quick enough, mine wasn’t making a noise for long before it went. Looks like you might have a valve cover gasket issue as well.

Yeah I knew I did not have long before that would have happened

• Like 2

Replaced the electric choke with a new one, really made a difference. The old one just plain got old and was opening too fast, I think the Weber has been on the truck for at least 150k. Here's a link to the video, I am now just doing videos instead of posting pictures of my stuff.

• Like 1