I got it one piece at a time........

captain720

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been keeping my eyes open for a good parts/donor truck for cheap because I find myself going junkyard hunting regularly, what years would make good parts trucks for my 1984 engine 1986/85 truck combination? Is an 83 too old? There a few early eighties Datsun 720s around and a couple Nissan 720s around with descent bodies and blown motors. Plus a ton of them on the West side of the mountains. What year would be best?

Thanks

Thanks, I will look into getting one of those tuning kits.

What would cause my headlights to be very dim? I just had my alternator checked at a local shop that does it for free and it was fine. Or are they just very dim on these trucks?

Also what kind of stuff should I put on connections when I clean them?

And my oil pressure sensor is very slow to respond, what should I check for that?

Halogen headlights dim over time. It may just be that. You can also check for voltage at the headlight connections. See if it's much lower than battery/alternator voltage.

Oil pressure gauges in these are typically slow to respond. Its normal. Does the light turn off quickly?

• Like 1

The oil pressure light turns off right away.

I tightened my alternator belt today so it charges all the time now :), that seemed to make my headlights brighter too.

Also am I supposed to use 10W-30 dello 400 and a FRAM oil filter? Is that what I hear? Maybe some Pensoil would be better? :) I used to use the NAPA WIX ones, but now I don't know. :)

Thanks. The wrecking yard has some 1999 dodge neon seats that they just got in, how much bracket fab would I have to do to make them fit? It looks like three of the four holes line up fine without any mods, how acceptable is it to only have three of the bolts installed?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting a large amount of wrenching done this week (spring break :thumbup: ) and I though it would be a good time for an update so here goes.

I replaced my front axle. (sorry that is the old axle coming out with new one on the ground there, I am bad at taking mid project oics as I really get into it).

IMG_20170329_105830312_zpslazyrsin.jpg

New headlights (I did install, I just dropped it off for new all terrains when I took the pic).

newheadlights_zpsipt495xe.jpg

I also did shocks, belts, dropped off one of the hubs from lockleaf to be drilled out and re tapped, and bought new rear shocks.

Also tomorrow I may be picking up a title less 720 for a parts truck. I will put more picks soon.

Does anyone know about overload leafs for these rigs? I always find mine riding low when I overfill it  :rofl: .

• Like 1

Nice truck and good work so far, more than a lot of people get done that quick! Myself included...

An add a leaf kit is simple and effective, it leveled my old truck out and stiffened up the rear.

Does any one have experience with the rock auto add a leafs? All I want is an increased load capacity, not a large ride height increase.

If I do get a ride height increase will I need a custom drive shaft to not burn up U-Joints?

I believe I got them off jcwhitney but that was over 6 years ago so I'm not sure what brand.

You really cant do much to increase the load capacity, but if you're trying to make it ride better with the load you could try air shocks. I think that'd be more bang for the buck rather than the add a leaf, especially if you don't want to raise it.

Any added leaf will make the ride firmer when empty, so expect that or don't go that route as it is not adjustable.

I added 2 extra leafs to my leaf pack from another 521 leaf pack, but I almost always have some kind of load in the flatbed, as it is my work truck, but every once in a while I fill it up with firewood, I installed overload air bags on the truck specifically for that, when ever I go get a load of wood I fill the bags before I leave, it's a rough ride getting there, but on the drive home my tires don't hit the underside of the flatbed, so it was worth the effort to install the bags, normally they have zero air pressure in them so they don't effect the ride, but when I load it up what little air that is in them does pressurize and it helps a little.

Air bags are the only thing I know of that has little effect on the ride unless you put air in them, I also have coil over shocks, it is a work truck and it almost always has a trailer connected to it, if I didn't have the trailer, I would likely remove the coil overs, if I ever do retire, I will likely remove the extra leafs also, it is a built for a purpose truck.

DSCN0407.JPG

• Like 2

What are you going to be carrying that you'll need more carrying capacity? If its an all the time thing then the leaf will help make it ride better with the constant weight, if its an every once in a while thing consider air shocks or bags like wayno as you can let the air out and use your stock suspension for everyday driving.

I think I will go with the air shocks/bags as I carry bark and wood and bricks and yard waste and just random garbage. Now I am trying to decide which 720 I will carry more heavy stuff with. :rofl: Also trying to decide if I need the fancy air compressors and if I can afford them. :)

• Like 1

Onboard compressors are nice, but if you have a compressor at home and will only be bringing these loads to and from your house they're not really necessary. Just route the air nipples by the license plate so you dont have to get under at all.

• 2 weeks later...