Hotspark L-series Distributor

So I bought one of these distributors, trying to figure out what distributor cap and rotor to use as a replacement. trying to get an answer from vendor is hopeless.

Anyone purchase one and what are you using for a replacement cap and rotor, distributor covers a wide range of L-4 motors, found 70 model years are closest, however these caps have a tab on them that interferes with rubber gasket at base of cap causing cap to sit cocked and rotor to bind.

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-HS-HIT4-Distributor.htm 

Have not hooked it up yet so not sure how it performs, so any comments is appreciated?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought there would be some respect on this web site for each other unfortunately can see that is not necessarily true.

So when you take a look at the P/N number posted on hotspark web site and do a search for it, it lists the application for a 521 pickup.

AS I MENTIONED TRIED A EARLY 70's DATSUN CAP FOR A L SERIES MOTOR AND HAD ISSUES WITH FIT DUE TO A TAB THAT PROTRUDES.

The cap I tried, covered the 521 pickup as well as the 510/610/620 L-16 powered cars applicable to the P/N provided to Hotspark.

So for all those that are having a bad day and want to lash out, please keep your comments to yourself unless you have something constructive to say.

Those that want to help, thank you ahead of time for your constructive input.

It also says z24 cap and rotor, and while i don't think those came in the US as 4 plug caps, a z20 did. Have you tried that? All L, Z, and (much) KA stuff is similar enough that it's worth the effort to try them all.

So for all those that are having a bad day and want to lash out, please keep your comments to yourself unless you have something constructive to say.

Oh, that was constructive.

Maybe practice what you preach.

Isn't there 2 sizes of L4 caps ?

Always thought so. Pretty sure my hoard of Accel caps are for the larger of the two.

stock L16 521 and 510 use a smaller cap.

after that it can be early 620s also then it goes to the bigger L20b type size. say after 75 Im pretty sure its a big cap.

I dont know nothing aboyt Hotsparl and which cap it uses and dont care right now

key is what mount does the Hotspark fit otherwise you wont be on TDC where it needs to be if wrong

maybe I should try one out one day

There are two sizes of caps for the L series.Early points distributors have the smaller cap.

And '75-'77 points and '78 EI L20B/Z20S and E 4 plug heads are the larger ones.

These are pretty much not worth the bother. This replaces the points with a magnetic pick up, basically a pointless distributor like a PerTronix conversion. The name Hotspark is hyperbole... It does not increase spark output like the EI matchbox ones from later L20B/Z20E or S. These say right on the link that they must use a 3 ohm coil.

Look like made in China.

The take away from this, is never having to replace, file or gap points again.

• Like 1

Yeah I think Rock Auto had them for $110 or so. You would need the 1 ohm coil to make the big sparks though. Or search around the wrecking yards for any '79-'80 L 4 cylinder.

Tons of stuff on the EI. Type EI distributor into the SEARCH function....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/50151-electronic-ignition-conversion-factory-datsun-matchbox/

Thanks Datzenmike for the input.

After getting the Hotspark distributor I wound up with a 78 620 camper, it has the electronic distributor you were mentioning. Unfortunately the distributor in this truck is toast and unusable, a Rockauto distributor is cheap enough like mentioned @ $110, however you still need to buy the ICM at $100-180 so this almost doubles the cost on the Hotspark.

Did receive a distributor cap and rotor in the mail yesterday that was ordered against a 70 521 pick-up. This cap did not have the tab that the other early distributor caps for L16 motors have that I had ordered for later 521 and 510's and wound up fitting perfect.

The L20 caps for the 74, 75, and 78 620 pick up I have did not work due to the difference in height for the clips to hold the cap down.

So if you get a hotspark distributor in the future, a very early distributor cap and rotor for a 521 pickup will fit it.

Interested and curious to see if there will be much difference in performance for this distributor versus stock or not. When I get around to putting it in and trying it out will make a post and let you all know if it is worth the time.

Not at all. If the Rock Auto distributor does not come with the matchbox 'module' you can substitute a $15 General Motors HEI module in place of the missing 'matchbox. The HEI unit will also work on the '78 remote igniter EI distributor in the '78. Wrecking yards are full of these and they fit in your pocket..

wiringHEI4.jpg

GMHEIconnections_zps93d18aa7.jpg

This is all covered in the search function. Don't throw that '78 distributor away, probably just needs an HEI module.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Wired hei module in, ran perfect with original ignition before upgrade. Now truck shuts down after a minute or two. On 3rd hei module with same results. Air gap is good. Checked and at .012. I'm at a loss. Have run this setup on other trucks no issue. Now this one comes along and shuts down. I can turn power off and back on and it will start right up run for a minute or so then die

Wired hei module in, ran perfect with original ignition before upgrade. Now truck shuts down after a minute or two. On 3rd hei module with same results. Air gap is good. Checked and at .012. I'm at a loss. Have run this setup on other trucks no issue. Now this one comes along and shuts down. I can turn power off and back on and it will start right up run for a minute or so then die

Coil not hot. Nothing getting hot. Does it with stock coil and a gm coil.

This is a well documented swap and there are no problems. So this is something unrelated.

Next time it quits check for spark. Did you check for spark??? Then change the fuel filter.