1972 datsun 1200 KA24DE SWAP

Rudde120086

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They (Datsun1200.com) have done l-series swaps on 1200's, which have the same motor mounts as K ans SR. I think you need a Ute member to start off with and from there is cutting the tunnle and making a tranny mount. From there self explanatory same as every other swap. probably really hard to fit

• 3 weeks later...

On my 1200 sedan project I was looking at swapping in an A10 crossmember. Honestly, It looks pretty straightforward. 

My plan:

Redrill the LCA holes in the crossmember to match what the 1200 wants. 

Redrill the frame mounting holes in the crossmember to line up with the 1200 frame holes.

Trim off any excess from the outside edges of the crossmember. 

Bolt into car. 

If you can find an A10 donor in the junkyard, you could also use the LCAs, TC rods, etc for later swapping in 280ZX struts/brakes. 

They don't make kits or motor mounts for a datsun 1200. They make kits for the 510s and trucks

Also, there are places that makes swap kits for 1200s, they just aren't in the US.  ;)

In Australia these cars are just as popular as 510s, if not more so. They know what's up.   B)

I have this crossmember in my car now, and a KA24 should be a straight bolt-in using this. 

http://www.maddat.com.au/fitting-kits/1200-b110/sr20-datsun-1200-engine-fitting-kit

WP_20150810_11_23_38_Pro%20(Custom).jpg

• Like 3

Also, there are places that makes swap kits for 1200s, they just aren't in the US.  ;)

In Australia these cars are just as popular as 510s, if not more so. They know what's up.   B)

I have this crossmember in my car now, and a KA24 should be a straight bolt-in using this. 

http://www.maddat.com.au/fitting-kits/1200-b110/sr20-datsun-1200-engine-fitting-kit

WP_20150810_11_23_38_Pro%20(Custom).jpg

So pretty. Then I look at the price  :o

• Like 1

So pretty. Then I look at the price  :o

Yeah, I just bought the crossmember and urethane mounts. Everything else I made myself.  ^_^

FYI, with the current exchange rate that's $910 US. If you want it, but aren't in a huge rush, I suggest keeping an eye on the exchange rates. They can fluctuate a lot.

I bought my parts from Maddat at a time when it was around 2-1, so the whole kit would've only been about $600. 

I watch the yen weekly because when it's down is the only time I order stuff from Japan.   :rofl:

• Like 2

Cute?.....ppppfffftttt. That right there is sexy.  If it were mine, I don't know if i would drive it or take it out back and have my way with it B).

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

I did the full swap 3 years ago.

Custom fabbed everything. It's a lot of work. You have to be creative to get it done but it's worth it.

'73 2 Door Sedan

KA24DR, Twin Weber 38/38 Sync.

Crower Stage 2 Cams / Supertech SS Valves

Forge Arias Pistons/ Eagle Rods

Eaton M62 SC 12 lbs. Boost / 175hp Progressive Nitrous

GM 2 Speed Poweglide/Transbrake 3500 Stall

Narrowed Ford 8.8 Posi 4.30 gears

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a draw through supercharger. I'm not a real big turbo fan.

The distributor is an MSD Chevy V8 using every other contact. It was fabbed by using the shaft of the stock KA and the upper half of the MSD.

Ran a 11.49 last week at Pacific Raceway in Kent, WA.

200hp shot of nitrous on top of 10 1bs of boost.