Datsun Dash Restoration Resource...say that fast 5 times!

Angela

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a dash pad for my wagon that I had them do.  They listed their price on their website, I then called them and they confirmed the price.  I brought them the dash pad in person, and they wrote me up with that price.  One week later, they called me and said the price was doubled.  I got the owner on the phone and exploded on him.  He says they were losing money but he would do my dash for the agreed price. 

They did a nice job, but the pebble grain is not exactly correct.  It is very close and very acceptable.

I like the dash, but would never use the place again. 

• Like 1

Goddamn that's fucked up to try and double the price on you. What was their reasoning? In the end how much it cost you?

I have a dash pad for my wagon that I had them do.  They listed their price on their website, I then called them and they confirmed the price.  I brought them the dash pad in person, and they wrote me up with that price.  One week later, they called me and said the price was doubled.  I got the owner on the phone and exploded on him.  He says they were losing money but he would do my dash for the agreed price. 

They did a nice job, but the pebble grain is not exactly correct.  It is very close and very acceptable.

I like the dash, but would never use the place again.

That really sucks. Very sorry to hear that. Since Datsun resources seem quite limited, I'd hoped to contribute something that might be helpful. Perhaps it's helpful to know 1st hand experiences to compare. Makes me Leary

I'm interested in DYI fixes myself. Curious if anyone has had much luck with dash restoration? I suppose that's probably an existing thread I haven't yet seen.

• Like 1

That really sucks. Very sorry to hear that. Since Datsun resources seem quite limited, I'd hoped to contribute something that might be helpful. Perhaps it's helpful to know 1st hand experiences to compare. Makes me Leary

I'm interested in DYI fixes myself. Curious if anyone has had much luck with dash restoration? I suppose that's probably an existing thread I haven't yet seen.

Keeper has done some stuff.

• Like 1

Don't be sorry, they did a very nice job.  This was 5 years or so ago, and as I recall it was $300-ish or so.  I'm sure they are asking $500 or more now, but check their pricing.  They really did do a nice job, but they are very spendy. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Finally slapped it on my car the other day.  It does look nice, but their customer service is really in the toilet..

cowldone.jpg

Hey, that does look nice. What's up with their customer service? Spend...AND rude?

• Like 1

I saw their site. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Been looking at a lot of different sites that people have DIy. Most use plastic welding rod. Then put polyvance dash filler over that to smooth it out. Then paint.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php%3F1865940-DIY-Cracked-Dashboard-Repair-Pic-Heavy&ved=0ahUKEwjVzt_C7b3TAhXizlQKHdHUAIkQFghWMAw&usg=AFQjCNEZ2CNf2DYQGwVRHOPgyi8O8kO33A

I'm going a different rout. I peeled all the vinyl off my dash and I'm going to use filler foam to fill the cracks. Then I going to figure out how to fiberglass the whole thing.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Hey there everybody,

I just stumbled upon this how to video for restoring a cracked dashpad. It's fairly intensive but the results are pretty nice. May be well worth the DIY project considering how much it costs to have it done.

I just might give it a try on my 521.

• Like 2

Hey there everybody,

I just stumbled upon this how to video for restoring a cracked dashpad. It's fairly intensive but the results are pretty nice. May be well worth the DIY project considering how much it costs to have it done.

I just might give it a try on my 521.

Most just do a 520 metal dash swap in the 521.

• Like 2

What's the difference?

Aren't they all metal under the dash cap any how?

Couldn't you just strip it and paint it?

Or do they fit wrong without the padding?

My cab is all masked off for paint or I would test fit mine without the padding...

520 dashes have metal dash tops rather than the padded 521 tops. They are a direct swap. You will need the 520 ash tray also, as they are slightly different sizes.

• Like 1

521 dash tops are not smooth under the padding, and some even have giant triangular holes in them while the 520 dash top is smooth.

Also the 520 ash tray is the same size as the 521 ash tray, but the 520 ash tray is made out of metal and is smooth while the 521 ash tray is plastic and textured like the 521 dash padding/dash face, some early 521 ash trays might be metal, but are textured, when you have a smooth dash top you just want the smooth ash tray to match.

• Like 2

520 dashes have metal dash tops rather than the padded 521 tops. They are a direct swap. You will need the 520 ash tray also, as they are slightly different sizes.

You can run the 521 ash tray in the 520 metal dash top if you use the metal rectangular ring from the 521 padded dash top.  This gives the 521 ash tray a tighter fit in the 520 metal dash top.