#21 JakeWard

JakeWard

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Cars:Want a 2 door 510... and I'm scouring the net for the right one

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Can you tell me what I did wrong here? Truck wouldn't start in the range that the timing plate allowed. Do I have the plate on upside down? Wrong pedestal?

https://www.flickr.c...7498@N05/6d6562

https://www.flickr.c...7498@N05/YK930R

#22 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 72,252 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

Do you have spark at the coil????

If yes.... check the timing while turning the engine over with the starter.

Posted Image

#23 JakeWard

JakeWard

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Oh it's started now. I took out both bolts in an attempt to mess with it until it started.

I just have no way to secure it in its spot because both bolts can't go back in.

#24 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 72,252 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

It's OK this can be adjusted back into the adjustment range.

Put that plate on the distributor properly so that both screws are holding it. Adjust roughly into the middle of the adjustment range.

Set carefully to TDC using the timing scale and notch on the crank pulley and see where the rotor is pointing on the cap above it. Where is the closest plug wire?... clockwise or counter clockwise??? Determine if you need the rotor turned clockwise or counter clockwise to get the rotor under any of the plug wires on the cap.

Lift the distributor out and look down, you probably will see this. (bottom picture) It's the top of the crank driven oil pump and distributor drive spindle. Take note of it's position. Unbolt the oil pump and lower it and the spindle (expect oil drips) turn and re-install it one tooth (clockwise or counter clockwise it's up to you) When the distributor is put back in it will have moved the rotor 9 degrees forward or back. Nine degrees closer to one of the plug wires. Just keep trying until the rotor is under a plug wire. Once you have it, this becomes the new No. 1 plug lead. The firing order is 1342 (counter clockwise) so if it needs changing, move all the plug wires around on the cap

distributortiming.jpg

You should now be within the adjustment range on the distributor.

Posted Image

#25 JakeWard

JakeWard

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Ended up replacing the 2 condensers for 13 bucks, and away I went.