Buying a car from out of state

Hello everyone,

I live in Southern California and I'm interested in buying a datsun located in Oregon. If i decide to purchase I'm planning on having the car shipped. I never bought a car from out of state without being able to see the car and talk to the owner in person and tow the car myself. this is a first for me, and I have several questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

How have you guys dealt with exchange of goods? Do you use an escrow service? Or PayPal/check and hope the car arrives, and the seller doesn't just take off with your money? What other options do I have to ensure a smooth exchange?

What's the best way to have the car shipped to me? What are some good and reliable shipping companies you all have used?

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a truck from Oregon.  I used uShip for the transportation.  There are some large shippers, which charge big money and some small independent guys that will do it around $450.

The independent guy I used, I gave the cash to his booker, who happens to be in Orange County and only 15 minutes away from my house,  he withdrew cash in Oregon and bought the truck and delivered it for me.

I can pass his info along if you're interested in contacting him.

• Like 1

I bought a truck from Oregon. I used uShip for the transportation. There are some large shippers, which charge big money and some small independent guys that will do it around $450.

The independent guy I used, I gave the cash to his booker, who happens to be in Orange County and only 15 minutes away from my house, he withdrew cash in Oregon and bought the truck and delivered it for me.

I can pass his info along if you're interested in contacting him.

So he bought the car for you after you paid the booker the shipping cost and the cost of the car? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I would be interested in contact info.

I used an online pay service through US Bank to buy a parts car out of state. In this case US Bank gives you about 30 days to file a dispute, sort of like PayPal backing up your purchase. They are there for either the buyer or seller to ask for problem resolution. In this case I was sending money directly to the seller as I planned to drive up later with a trailer to pick it up.

Also, what if I go buy that 411 before you do? ;)

• Like 1

I've bought two cars out of state. My first 510 I bought here in California, except the car had AZ plates. I had to get a brake and lamp check and take the car to DMV to get inspected. Then the DMV lady asked to see a Datsun emblem on the car to verify it was a Datsun.

I then bought a 510 goon from a guy from NV. Had it shipped using Mayflower. Don't use these ( )*( )! The fucking driver charged me $50 more because "I was out of his way". I can through rocks at the freaking freeway from my house! Anyway, I used paypal to at least assure myself that if the car did not show up, I was covered. I asked the guy who sold it to me to send me as many pics as possible. The car came pretty much as advertised. Hope this helps.

Had a car shipped to me. Not something I would like to go through again. The shipper had other used cars above mine. When I got my car it was covered from leaking fluids. Two days washing, rewashing, then used a clay bar(I now hate clay bars) then wax and buff it finally it started to look ok.

I've went and looked at cars on behalf of out of staters. Couple bux goes a long ways.. but I did it for free.

I would pay a few bucks to have someone look at it for me. Let me know if you or anyone else might be interested. The car is located about 15 minutes north of Salem, Oregon.

Thanks everyone! I've had several members help me out and put me in contact with different folks up north. I've been lurking on here for quite sometime, but haven't really post too much til now. The wealth of knowledge and support on here is overwhelming. Very happy to be among such great people.

• Like 1