Because Australia.

My understanding is that a few or some of the California fires were started when people "permanently camping" in wooded areas close to towns got cold when the weather in California cooled off, and there were high winds also.

There are those people who have not grown up with trees all their life, and think the best thing to do with a forest is nothing, let nature take it's course.   

Unfortunately, occasionally nature "clear cuts" with fire.

I have lived on some acreage for over 50 years, the same property.   Trees start small, grow, and sometimes die, and are always dropping branches.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a semi rain forest area and there's evidence that every 500 to 700 years there is a fire and everything starts over again. Not a total devastation just hundreds or thousands of acres randomly spread out in a patchwork quilt pattern. Old and new side by side. Now it's all tree farms with nothing much over 50 to 80 years old.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I'm in a semi rain forest area and there's evidence that every 500 to 700 years there is a fire and everything starts over again. Not a total devastation just hundreds or thousands of acres randomly spread out in a patchwork quilt pattern. Old and new side by side. Now it's all tree farms with nothing much over 50 to 80 years old.

Yeah the aboriginals would burn back way more often than the colonials and so you had less fuel for any big fires. 

• 3 weeks later...