Because Australia.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-24/101-year-old-still-runs-the-show-on-his-central-queensland-farm/8966944

At 101, farmer Max Hockey 'still runs the show' on his Central Queensland cattle operation

The average age of the Australian farmer is 56 — much older than the 39-year-old average Australian worker.

But a Central Queensland farmer, who is still working and expanding his cattle operation at 101 years of age, may have put a wrinkle in the statistics.

Max Hockey said there was no secret to his good innings.

"It's the luck of the draw — I have never been crook, never been sick much," he said.

Mr Hockey left school at 15 to join his father in the family's sawmilling business.

Timber wages paid for his first farm and he now has 14 cattle grazing blocks around the Monto area — totalling 10,000 hectares.

He has lived through the depression, two world wars and the cattle crisis of the 1970s and endured many droughts.

None of the droughts of the last 50 years rate a mention compared to drought years in the 70s — and the worst one of all.

"1946 was the worst," Mr Hockey said.

"We were getting truckloads of sugar cane and we were feeding it to our cows — if we had not fed that they would not be alive."

Like most farmers, Mr Hockey has a machinery graveyard.

It is a walk through nearly 90 years of farming history and includes many pieces of equipment which revolutionised agriculture at the time — including early tractors, and the iconic Australian-built Sunshine harvester.

Mr Hockey remembers paying 250 pounds for the harvester brand-new, which he said was "a gem in its day".

Mr Hockey's stepson, David Smith, is his right-hand man — but he insists his stepfather "still runs this show".

"He does whatever he wants and he just tells me what I've got to do and I've got to go and do it, and I wouldn't want it any other way — it's his, and I'm just his arms and legs," Mr Smith said.

Mr Smith said it was a privilege to work alongside a farmer who had witnessed so much change.

"He tells me stories about him and his father out cutting timber with the old steam engines and how they walked them up over the hills," he said.

"It's just unbelievable. Every day you get a new story."

Neighbouring beef producer Amanda Salisbury said she had learned a lot from Mr Hockey.

"It does help you go, 'Okay, people have been through it before so we can do it now.

"He's always played the long game and hasn't got carried away with fads. He just bided his time for the right opportunities."

Mr Hockey's wife, Kay, said her husband was still going because he adored his job and, unlike many farmers, was not a worrier.

"He says, 'What's the point of worrying? It doesn't get you anywhere, it makes you older'," she said.

"I guess over the years he's learned to roll with it all, as he's seen every vagary going."

Mr Hockey did not get to attend his own 100th birthday party last year because he was hospitalised the night before when his gall bladder strongly objected to a slice of pizza.

His friends and relatives celebrated without him.

This year, they asked if he wanted a 101st party to make up for the missed one, but he said no.

• Like 1

#prayforaustralia

Appeal to locate missing training ammunition, Coorparoo

Police are making inquiries to locate four rounds of police training ammunition which went missing at Coorparoo on September 20.

The four rounds went missing whilst police were travelling from Police Headquarters to Belmont to deliver firearms training at around 7am.

The training ammunition is described as being approximately 3cm in length and a bronze and copper colour (see pictured).

The training ammunition is to be treated as a dangerous item if found and members of the public are urged not pick up or handle the training ammunition.

Police are encouraging anyone who locates the training ammunition to call Policelink on 131 444.

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2017/09/23/appeal-locate-missing-training-ammunition-coorparoo/

• Like 1

#prayforaustralia

Appeal to locate missing training ammunition, Coorparoo

Police are making inquiries to locate four rounds of police training ammunition which went missing at Coorparoo on September 20.

The four rounds went missing whilst police were travelling from Police Headquarters to Belmont to deliver firearms training at around 7am.

The training ammunition is described as being approximately 3cm in length and a bronze and copper colour (see pictured).

The training ammunition is to be treated as a dangerous item if found and members of the public are urged not pick up or handle the training ammunition.

Police are encouraging anyone who locates the training ammunition to call Policelink on 131 444.

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2017/09/23/appeal-locate-missing-training-ammunition-coorparoo/

Wow there are more live rounds tumbling around in the door handle cup of my buddys Acura right now. Its weird to me that 4 rounds even get noticed as missing. How very American of me. :)

• Like 3

Wow there are more live rounds tumbling around in the door handle cup of my buddys Acura right now. Its weird to me that 4 rounds even get noticed as missing. How very American of me. :)

I have 4 rounds of 30-06 in the shifter boot of my truck and 5 more in the center console....and probably a couple on the floor. These guys are in a panic about 4 rounds of probably 9mm? Wtf straya?

I have 4 rounds of 30-06 in the shifter boot of my truck and 5 more in the center console....and probably a couple on the floor. These guys are in a panic about 4 rounds of probably 9mm? Wtf straya?

Paranoid Queensland Police and State Government currently overseen by the most insipid Commisioner since Terry Lewis (Google Fitzgerald inquiry if you want a good read).

They are shitting bricks that the ammo may fall into the hands of someone who will injure themselves and the potential lawsuit and bad publicity that would follow.

Pathetic really.

• Like 5

Some dodgy stuff going on down under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUy-8IUzH0&t=190s

guy talks about someone who he follows and this is that other video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxW_1GgBWg0

Looks like the feminazis that pussified the American male has reached straya :no: :sick: run, run as fast as you can, or kill them all, its a cancer that's trying to destroy manhood!