Because Australia.

Intended to ask this the other day. Have an aussie friend on another forum, Been talking about the the state has taken over all the ISP's making one big government run "National Broad Band" In doing so it knocked out phone service to small area communities. The woman is really pissed because she is use to using hard line phone to call for everything.

Yeah,the National Broadband Network (NBN) is a Private/Public Sector Business Partnership to build a fibre optics based nationwide internet and phase out all copper lines.

The the govt started this idea back around 2007 and the NBN paid the largest telco here (Telstra) $10 Billion to buy the right to retire all copper lines owned by Telstra over a period of time.

Then due to change of govt's the proposal of Fibre to the Premises  was abandoned and declared as too expensive and unneccessary despite technical information and consenus being that this was the best future proofing of the system.

So Fibre to the Node was adopted as a cheaper option by the then new and current govt.

Many are finding the NBN to be a hassle specially if you live in the rural areas.

Fibre to the premises means exactly as it sounds - 100 fibre optic cable right to all homes where the NBN exists,fibre to the node means fibre only goes to where there are built exchanges then after that the signal/s are sent via existing copper wire (same copper wire that was paid to be retired) to houses with the NBN.

Oh and the so called "cheaper option" the govt claimed it would be - cost blowouts and it's now at same and more level that the previous govt said it would be at when built as FTTP.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah,the National Broadband Network (NBN) is a Private/Public Sector Business Partnership to build a fibre optics based nationwide internet and phase out all copper lines.

The the govt started this idea back around 2007 and the NBN paid the largest telco here (Telstra) $10 Billion to buy the right to retire all copper lines owned by Telstra over a period of time.

Then due to change of govt's the proposal of Fibre to the Premises  was abandoned and declared as too expensive and unneccessary despite technical information and consenus being that this was the best future proofing of the system.

So Fibre to the Node was adopted as a cheaper option by the then new and current govt.

Many are finding the NBN to be a hassle specially if you live in the rural areas.

Fibre to the premises means exactly as it sounds - 100 fibre optic cable right to all homes where the NBN exists,fibre to the node means fibre only goes to where there are built exchanges then after that the signal/s are sent via existing copper wire (same copper wire that was paid to be retired) to houses with the NBN.

Oh and the so called "cheaper option" the govt claimed it would be - cost blowouts and it's now at same and more level that the previous govt said it would be at when built as FTTP.

Rdub has "intimate knowledge" about this.

To wet the viewing audiences appetite lets start with with the innumerable cabling pits (fucking big hole possibly outside your premises) which houses the pre existing cabling.

NBN says, new cabling required. Sub contractor to the sub contractor to the contractor that wins the Gubment contract to run the gazillion kilometres (do your own conversion Muricans) says, no worries, we will fix!

Pre existing cabling pits are made from Asbestos (bad shit down here).

3rd level sub contractor using Somalian workforce here on tourist visa (think im joking?) digs up bad flaky asbestos shit and dumps it on suburban lawn.

There is so much more to this that I cant even begin to think where to start!

• Like 3

Rdub has "intimate knowledge" about this.

To wet the viewing audiences appetite lets start with with the innumerable cabling pits (fucking big hole possibly outside your premises) which houses the pre existing cabling.

NBN says, new cabling required. Sub contractor to the sub contractor to the contractor that wins the Gubment contract to run the gazillion kilometres (do your own conversion Muricans) says, no worries, we will fix!

Pre existing cabling pits are made from Asbestos (bad shit down here).

3rd level sub contractor using Somalian workforce here on tourist visa (think im joking?) digs up bad flaky asbestos shit and dumps it on suburban lawn.

There is so much more to this that I cant even begin to think where to start!

I see why some areas are getting cut off all together, also gives reason why the project could not be done in the agreed to price.

Asbestos required hazardous materials clean up which is $$$$$$$ in the states.

• Like 1

Another case of wtf is going on down under???

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/36680260/australian-army-bans-male-recruits/#page1

Army, air force, navy bans men in bid to boost women

Nothing mate.

Everything is proceeding as normal down here; I have it all under control :)

It was April and the Aborigines in a remote part of Northern Australia asked their new elder if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. 

Since he was an elder in a modern community he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the tribe should collect firewood to be prepared. 

But being a practical leader, after several days he had an idea. 

He walked out to the telephone booth on the highway, called the Bureau of Meteorology and asked, 'Is the coming winter in this area going to be cold?' 

The meteorologist responded, 'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold.' 

So the elder went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared. 

A week later he called the Bureau of Meteorology again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?' 

The meteorologist again replied, 'Yes, it's going to be a very cold winter.' 

The elder again went back to his community and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find. 

Two weeks later the elder called the Bureau again. 'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?' he asked. 

'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever.' 

'How can you be so sure?' the elder asked. 

The weatherman replied, 'Our satellites have reported that the Aboriginals in the north are collecting firewood like crazy, and that's always a sure sign.'

• Like 5

IIRC Trump told our Prime Minister he was "worse than him" when it came to illegal immigrants.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing,here in AUS we have the same scenario where people born here need help and are not attended to sufficiently.

I am of the view that the problems in countries do need to be handled in isolation 1st and then after that country can say all it's people are ok,then handle others. 

• Like 2

I agree - when it comes to immigration,first allow the ones

that have skills the country needs,& then allow the ones that are willing

to assimilate to our ways/laws,& speak English.

Funniily enough, when I visited the States years ago a young african american gentleman in Burger King asked me where I was from.

When I told him he proceeded to question me about my accent and asked me what language we spoke!

• Like 3