Coolant reservoir/recovery ideas

Mike8199

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a spare one of those as well...

But you can use anything you like that holds water. Often used are cool looking alcohol bottles. Universal versions can be found on Amazon or eBay.

It's a coolant recovery bottle. Over pressurization from heat soak after shutting off on hot days, burps out and is saved. When the engine cools, the special rad cap allows the coolant to siphon back in keeping the rad full. I was constantly topping up my rad before buying the special cap that is on later Datsuns and Nissans. I just used a plastic water bottle with a hole in the top for the over flow hose. Now Maybe a cup in a year. 

Anything will work for the coolant recovery bottle. Keep if half filled and the hose down to the bottom and well submerged. Be sure to use anti freeze mix in it.

• Like 1

Gato's right, never just water. Buy come distilled water (that's free of dissolved minerals) and a quality antifreeze coolant. This will avoid crusty deposits in your rad and rust formation in the block.

Another thing that Z24 engines need is to have the head bolts re torqued at least once a year. Z24s are prone to blowing the head gaskets at 100K intervals.

• Like 1

They aren't torque to yield so breaking them is unlikely.

Agreed.  Cold engine is essential. Loosen ONE bolt and then tighten to 60 ft lbs. Go to next bolt, loosen and torque to 60. Two things... only one bolt at a time loose at any time,... and any order you like.

They aren't torque to yield so breaking them is unlikely.

Buddy of mine and I broke all but 2 just taking them off to replace the head gasket...happened on two z24 engines...they do break....and both motors were cold....we got them knowing the head gasket on both were blown :(

Rust issues from blown head? I've taken the heads off a few z24s and done the retorque on a couple others without issue. That is interesting that you've had multiple engines give you head bolt issues. I wonder what the cause was?

• Like 1

The vast majority of 720 owners are 3rd, 4th 5th ... owners. They bought them cheap and

a/ are used to low maintenance newer vehicles

b/ don't want to spend money on something they didn't pay much for

c/ are stuck with a POs decision on maintenance neglect.

This is not at all 'always the case'. If you are here, you probably have some interest in your truck and want what's best for it. It's always better to have a clean system with distilled water and antifreeze coolant in it. Always run a coolant recovery system so you don't have to top it up with whatever water is around and dilute your antifreeze.

• Like 1