Best Jetting for Weber 32/36 DGEV on z24i engine?

Letsurf

I have a Z24 that has been converted over to Weber 32/36 DGEV carb. The intake manifold is from the fuel injection engine so larger ports. I'm having trouble getting it to run right and have heard 3 different configurations for the best performance. Does anyone have any idea which one of these is correct?

Option 1:

Main Jet: 140/135

Air Corr. Jet: 165/160

Idle Jet: 55/50

Option 2:

Main Jet: 140/140

Air Corr. Jet: 170/160

Idle Jet: 60/50

Option 3:

Main Jet: 150/180

Air Corr. Jet: 150/180

Idle Jet: 65/60

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the proplem?  a lot of 32/36 run on 6 cyl motors so it should handle it.

No power at all. Seems to do OK at 25% throttle but when I hit mid and full throttle just doesn't have any umph to it. The RPMs can scream but no get up and go if you know what I mean. I've literally been through every component on the engine. 

Hoe old is the crab? There was a change made about 15 years ago that improved the primary to secondary transition. If it is stamped "5A" then it's the newer, improved version.

If you have an older carb, then there's not a lot you can do about the bog. If it's the newer carb, then it probably just needs some jetting.

Hoe old is the crab? There was a change made about 15 years ago that improved the primary to secondary transition. If it is stamped "5A" then it's the newer, improved version.

If you have an older carb, then there's not a lot you can do about the bog. If it's the newer carb, then it probably just needs some jetting.

I bought the carb new in the box a few years ago from a local mechanic. He had ordered for a customer and they didn't pay him or something. I'm pretty sure it's newer  but he could have had it on the shelf for 15 years lol. I think it is stamped 32/36 DGEV 172.

Keep in mind that the Z series are not high revving barn burners to begin with. They have low speed stump pulling torque that drops off around 4K, so don't expect it to keep pulling and slamming you back in the seat above this. It's all relative and you may be getting all there is to give.

Try running full throttle out on the highway for a couple of miles then safely pull over and stop. Pull the plugs from the exhaust (easy) side and 'read' them. Dark brown and black is too rich, light tan is perfec., Very light or (even worse) extremely white porcelain is very lean. Too rich will run ok but have shitty mileage. Too lean gives very poor performance.

If plugs are too light in color it's very possible the secondary jet may be blocked or part blocked causing a lean condition. 

Keep in mind that the Z series are not high revving barn burners to begin with. They have low speed stump pulling torque that drops off around 4K, so don't expect it to keep pulling and slamming you back in the seat above this. It's all relative and you may be getting all there is to give.

Try running full throttle out on the highway for a couple of miles then safely pull over and stop. Pull the plugs from the exhaust (easy) side and 'read' them. Dark brown and black is too rich, light tan is perfec., Very light or (even worse) extremely white porcelain is very lean. Too rich will run ok but have shitty mileage. Too lean gives very poor performance.

If plugs are too light in color it's very possible the secondary jet may be blocked or part blocked causing a lean condition. 

I called weber and they said that the 38-dges would be better because the large plenum on the z24i intake caused too much loss in velocity with the 32/36. I installed the 38-dges and it has a lot more power but it bogs out when I accelerate too fast. Also when I drive down the street then coast down to a stop sign and do a rolling stop and hit the gas it will almost die and then shoot forward with power. When I cycle the throttle with the 38-dges it has WAY more response like a little race truck now compared to how it was before. Just need to get this cutting out thing resolved.

I have literally tried jetting it from idle jets 40-60 and main jets from 135 - 160 and still can't get it to stop cutting out when accelerating too fast. Another thing to note is that on the 38-dges you can't turn the speed screw past 1/2 turn or it will expose the enriching ports. Well I can turn the screw completely out and the flaps at the bottom of the carb are completely closed and the truck still idles. It shouldn't run at all with those flaps closed right?

I guess banzai is on the right track. Did the truck run good before you took the original carb off?

There has always been a power issue with the truck but I think it was due to me turning the speed screw on the 32/36 too far in. I tested the vacuum advance and at 2100 rpm it was exactly 14.5 degrees which is where I think it should be. I have tried 8* btdc and 10* btdc which is what weber recommends. I have brand new coils, new plug wires, plugs, new distributor, all new wiring and connectors for the ignition setup...

Weber does not design engines I can't believe they said to increase your timing to 8 or 10 degrees. Factory setting is 3 degrees +-2 degrees for a reason.

You carb bog problem was answered on your other post about it and why you should only have one.