1973 Datsun PL620 build

sanitys

Well I got my truck in a few days ago from oregon. Drove it home from the port 30 miles, ran and drove good. Today I decided to pull out the old crappy seat and the floormat and give it a good scrubbing and check out what kinda rust it had if any. Overall the truck is in good shape. The drivers floor just has some surface rust. they passenger floor has minimal surface rust. I havnt has the chance to check under the truck yet. There are alot of things that I want to do just need to wait on funds. You can see the dent in the fender and the cracked grill. This happened while the truck was on its way to the port in seattle. I ordered side mirrors, they should be in tomarrow. I also test fit a Honda seat in the truck, looks like it will need some mods to the rails and make new mounting holes, anyone know any newer buckets that fit well? Well enough talk, I know you guys like pictures so here they are...

edit...Plans

Disk brake swap

ka24e w/ 5 speed

racetech seats (for now ill use a later model honda or the like buckets)

re-paint original color

wider wheels more than likely raguna, i made a post about them a few months back

would like to do full coil setup, but thats $$

install a sound quality setup. looking at eclipse cd7200 cd mkii, zuki audio amp, and still searching for comps, and a 10 inch sub

plan on making a fiberglass center console with the 10 inch sub inbetween the seats

CF door/kicks like bre510's 620

DSC00894.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

Edited by sanitys
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does this truck look familiar to me?

Good start man!

I bought it from someone in portland, there was a previous thread about it on craigslist/ebay here. It has washington plates tho. I bought it in June, and it got to hawaii Oct 20th. I was in DC when i bought it, got back out to hawaii mid july then had to move and going to a divorce and the title took forever to put in my name so we could ship it.

Good to know about the grill. Ill have to pick up another one. The guy i bought it from said he would send me a NOS fender but it looks fixable dont want him to have to eat the shipping to hawaii

oh, does anyone know why i have a hole in my bed with a rubber surround/gasket? I havnt seen other ones like that, just cant seem to figure out why its like that...I know a previous owner probably did it...

Edited by sanitys
Nice truck bro! I like that color green:D The rims are cool too:cool: I am not too keen on the hood tho. It sure is nice to find that clean of floorboards when you lift that mat.

The floor was gross when i lifted the mat, i tossed the old insulation stuff and scrubbed it all for about 30-40 min. I want to repaint the truck the same color. I had a choice on the stock hood or the fiberglass one. I couldnt have both shipped to hawaii with the truck as per the rules when shipping a vehichle. And shipping on the hood would be insanely expensive.

Those are some nice floors!!!

Does it have 2 gas tanks?

I dont think so, but do all datsuns have this switch? looks like its for the gas tank....Ill have to get under the truck tomarrow and see where its routed to. It says Gem Tank, and has a L, M, and R

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

Edited by sanitys
Nice Truck:D! The Dash looks very clean:) Cant wait to see the buildup:cool:!

thanks, The dash does have some small cracks, not sure im gonna redo it, or make a dash, time will tell.

Nice truck bro! I like the hood.:cool:

Many Datto's in Hawaii?

Thanks, I havnt seen too many on the road myself but i know of a few. Ive only seen 3 other 620's besides mine so far, but who knows how many are in peoples garages/fields

Nice truck, I like the hood, if you don't like it I'll trade you for it

Thanks for the offer, If i decide to get rid of it later on ill let you know.

Didnt have time to work on the truck today, but the UPS guy dropped off my mirrors, probably end up fitting them on wednesday, i when to go do it today but the drill battery was dead. These are the lucas repo mirrors. If i can get my hands on some cheapy seats it should be road legal by next monday.

DSC00911.jpg

picked up some s13 seats today. They arent the prettiest Ive seen, but they were cheap, and temporary till I have some extra cash to drop on some nice ones. I did a mock up and it looks like the rails wont be too hard to modify to fit. None of the bolt holes fit so Ill have to make new brackets for the rails to line up the seat and make it level. Should be able to tackle it this weekend and update with some pictures..

so today i started cleaning the driver side floor, i need to borrow my buddies welder tomarrow to make my seat brackets, here is what i used to clean up the floor, what it looks like, and as I type I have another "coat" of acid on the floor.

DSC00988.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

Sanitys: How does the "Prep-Etch" work? Is that a stripper of the rust or a coating to seal and protect?

2eDeYe;92893']Nice looking truck. Looks like someone clearanced the tranny tunnel for the exhaust already :D

Why do you say that? I don't see any differance in his floor/tunnel and mine.

Seriously, what am I missing?

Sanitys: How does the "Prep-Etch" work? Is that a stripper of the rust or a coating to seal and protect?

Why do you say that? I don't see any differance in his floor/tunnel and mine.

Seriously, what am I missing?

Jester the prep and etch can be found at home depot in the paint stripper section. I have used it when redoing motorcycle gas tanks that were really bad before I used the POR15 treatment. The prep and etch is phosphoric acid that "eats" and neutralizes the rust. Before using it you need to try and get all the scalely rust off, then you let it sit on the metal/rust and wait a bit for it to do its magic. I used a scrub brush to help it get into the little rust pits (wear gloves). Let it sit for awhile, i think the directions say you can let it sit overnight, when it drys it leaves a "film" on the surface that protects it from flash rusting. There are alot of products that work simular, I use this one because its easy to find and cheap. Oh and before you hit the nice rust free metal with self-etching primer, mix up some water and baking soda and put that on the same area the acid was on. let it sit for a minute or too and then rinse and dry and hit with the self etching primer.

The truck does have new exhaust, however I dont think my tunnel has been clearanced, just looks stock to me. Havnt looked under the truck yet, man i miss having hoists...

Edited by sanitys

so ive been waiting for about 5 hrs for the guy to bring by the welder...man that's irritating, I might just go buy one tomorrow...

Heres some shots of the floor primed. The floor still had "pits" but all the rust was gone.

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

Edited by sanitys