74 610 Goon

xdreaming

2r40w3o.jpg

My wheels are the correct offset that I wanted to run on my grandma's wagon. Sorry it doesn't appeal to you?

When the wheel fit's like this it not the correct offset.

163wpg.jpg

It'll fit.

Irs will deff help.

39890770322_a6ea435eeb_b.jpg

39890769642_befaa47bf9_b.jpg

Mad camber is not a fix for poor rim choice. Two wrongs do not make one right. Good luck with the tire wear, increased toe in and the poor handling. Stick with the solid axle and run flairs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

163wpg.jpg

Mad camber is not a fix for poor rim choice. Two wrongs do not make one right. Good luck with the tire wear, increased toe in and the poor handling. Stick with the solid axle and run flairs.

Lol the irs wagon has been driven thousand of miles. No issues. No tire wear. If youre good enough there are many ways to correct toe. Camber doesnt kill tires.

I don't think the owner cares mike. It's the owners car, let him make it what he wants and quit telling him how to do it, now if it were your car, do what you want that's all fine and dandy ain't nobody gonna bitch about it.

I don't think the owner cares mike. It's the owners car, let him make it what he wants and quit telling him how to do it, now if it were your car, do what you want that's all fine and dandy ain't nobody gonna bitch about it.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I thought it was obvious that I don’t mind criticism or others opinions for that matter.

• Like 1

Lol the irs wagon has been driven thousand of miles. No issues. No tire wear. If youre good enough there are many ways to correct toe. Camber doesnt kill tires.

No one, least of all me, believes this. The owner has a vested interest in denying it's a very bad idea. Yeah camber does wear tires or all cars would have it and not worry about adjusting it out.

Which would be fine if just tire wear. It also affects handling and stopping so it is a safety issue the owner has no clue of. If it were my car, simply put, I would do it right if going to IRS.

• Like 1

No one, least of all me, believes this. The owner has a vested interest in denying it's a very bad idea. Yeah camber does wear tires or all cars would have it and not worry about adjusting it out.

I have alot of camber on my truck up front. Ran the same tires for 2.5 years daily driven. Driven to oregon and everywhere i went. Yeah the tire wore down only on half of it. But since my toe was correct the tire ran down jist as if it was nice and flat on the road and i still have them in my garage in good conditions to top it off it was a 205 50 on a 15x11 lol

sorry Mike, but you’re wrong. Negative camber, proper toe, and proper caster has positive effects on handling. Maybe YOU should look into what auto cross and track guys run as far as their alignments go. I know my s2000 handles like trash with little/no camber. -2.5 of camber is the magic number with those cars. And 1/8” toe in. At least for when I auto cross.

And why would you bring up handling? This car isn’t a racecar. It’s my grandma station Wagon that is only going to get driven around town.

Ultimately you should do as you please. I don't hate you or your ride. The comments were for the pictured white goon with the crazy 15 degree camber.

Some tweaks to camber, toe and caster can improve handling depending on what you want and can live with. You can't even see 2.5 degrees on a rim. It's like  1/8" in at the top

It’s significant enough to notice but not enough to say it looks off to a non-car guy. I plan on running -3.5. Just enough to have some tilt to it. I have to agree with you though on Justin’s Wagon. I’m not a fan of his style but he’s a cool guy. He doesn’t drive it however.

Mocking up S14 full front suspension. So far looks plausible. Would just need customize the oem swaybar, or fab an s chassis one and caster arms.

I may go with S13 front suspension just because the LCA is shorter by aprox an inch.

2hodaas.jpg

Well I got my blocks in a couple days ago. Ran into my first problem. The hole wasn’t wide enough for the nipple to slip into so I had to bore out the hole. It was 1/2”. I bored it out to 5/8”. Simple enough. I just used my drill press.

2crrmgp.jpg

Second problem was this thing that holds the leaves in place (not sure what it’s called. Please inform me if you know) made the nipple too wide so I used my bench grinder to grind it flat so the nipple on the leaf would not be over 3/4” wide.

2vb3i43.jpg

I’m working on the second side as I’m typing this out and will post pictures. Probably after I eat dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been over a week since I've given an update as there hasn't been anything spectacular happening. Front end is still in the air. I'll be ordering a couple parts soon so hopefully I can update with that by next week.

Quick question though. I've read that 510 and 610 suspension is very similar. Are the tension rods and front LCA's the same? From what I've come across, the tension rod is, but I'm not finding any information on the LCA's. Thanks in advance for anyone that can answer this for me  :thumbup:

For a 710, the 510 TC rods were identical and the LCAs looked identical. As long as it's not a 68-69 510, the ball joints are the same too. If anything the 510 LCA could be a hair shorter, but I drove on them in my 710 and they are probably identical lengths. The front cross-members and motor mount locations are very different though.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I promise it isn't just sitting in my garage rotting away.

wphqo.jpg

The L20 was removed. I sold it to a (somewhat) local drifter for his B210 project. So I guess I'm really doing this whole SR swap now lol

t7irs7.jpg

Had a buddy cut and flip the cross member. It's just tacked together currently. Waiting on when he has time to finish welding it, but it's together.

2q1e9f9.jpg

121ra6a.jpg

GTX2 Front LCA's & tension rods to replace the old ones. I also had them install an S14 ball joint so I can convert to S14 hub/brakes/coilovers. There's so many more options for everything for S chassis. I could go 5 lug in the future easily, convert to Z32 brakes, replace parts by going to Auto Zone etc.

Been really thinking about repainting my goon the oem white inside and out while it's all taken apart. At the very least, I'll repaint the engine bay and the floor. One step at a time.