• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vectorsprint

vectorsprint

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

I have a pretty stupid question, but I want to avoid breaking anything. I recently got an '83 ZX Turbo, and it ran when I test drove it, then wouldn't start again. I checked it, and I plan on doing the GM HEI ignitor swap, but I also noticed one of the screws holding the distributor cap had it head twisted off. I want to get a pair of vice grips in and try to thread the old screw's remains out, but the rotor head is in the way.

Now comes the stupidity on my part- My FSM, which I got from Xenon S130, has no procedure to remove the rotor head. I noticed it has a mark that says 'screw' but where it points, is just the electrical contact. So, is there a screw under the contact? Does the rotor head screw onto the shaft? Or does it pull off like other rotor heads? I want to ask before I start yanking on things inside a 33 year old dizzy in the cold (brittle plastics are brittle.)

#2 bananahamuck

bananahamuck

S&S chicken/rice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts
  • Cars:It's a fucking anti-aircraft gun, Vincent.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Short screw ,, see the hole in this picture.

JR93.jpg

q-tip, on 06 Jul 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

I think they're the same casting for the housing its just whether it has a fan clutch on it or not, but don`t qoute me on that.

..........................I shall call it, narclops.

#3 vectorsprint

vectorsprint

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Oh wow, thanks. I don't know how I missed that.

#4 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 63,753 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

The turbo zx doesn't have a distributor, (as such) rather it has a CAS (crank angle sensor) This is a photo electric sensor and a wheel with 360 marks on it. The ECU uses this information to know precisely where the crankshaft is and compute and set the spark advance. Only the non turbo has a module like the matchbox.

Both the CAS and the distributor have a rotor and cap but that is where the similarity ends. The ECU on the CAS engines fires the coil.

Posted Image

#5 bananahamuck

bananahamuck

S&S chicken/rice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts
  • Cars:It's a fucking anti-aircraft gun, Vincent.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Uhm ,,  the crank angle sensor is INSIDE the distributor ,,,,,,,,,,, the thing that spark goes into the center of ,,,,,,,,,,, then rotor turns ,,,,,,, THUS distributing the spark ( hence the name "distributor" )  to the correct cylinder ,,,,,,, but yeah

Burp..

q-tip, on 06 Jul 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

I think they're the same casting for the housing its just whether it has a fan clutch on it or not, but don`t qoute me on that.

..........................I shall call it, narclops.

#6 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 63,753 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Yes it does distribute...

Both the CAS and the distributor have a rotor and cap but that is where the similarity ends.

but it is more accurate to call it a CAS. The OP plans an HEI swap which I don't think will work as the CAS doesn't have a module to replace.

I have a pretty stupid question, but I want to avoid breaking anything. I recently got an '83 ZX Turbo, and it ran when I test drove it, then wouldn't start again. I checked it, and I plan on doing the GM HEI ignitor swap, but I also noticed one of the screws holding the distributor cap had it head twisted off. I want to get a pair of vice grips in and try to thread the old screw's remains out, but the rotor head is in the way.

Now comes the stupidity on my part- My FSM, which I got from Xenon S130, has no procedure to remove the rotor head. I noticed it has a mark that says 'screw' but where it points, is just the electrical contact. So, is there a screw under the contact? Does the rotor head screw onto the shaft? Or does it pull off like other rotor heads? I want to ask before I start yanking on things inside a 33 year old dizzy in the cold (brittle plastics are brittle.)

Posted Image

#7 vectorsprint

vectorsprint

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

The HEI module is conceptually similar to the power transistor used in the Z's system. In either case it's just a solid state switch that's triggered by the CAS which lets the coil discharge. If it doesn't work, I'll spring for the power transistor.

#8 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 63,753 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Ah, wasn't sure. You're isn't working?

Posted Image

#9 vectorsprint

vectorsprint

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

Pretty sure it's hosed. Car started and ran, then wouldn't start again, occasionally with act like its trying to ignite the vapor. Feels like it's the ignition system. After a new battery, checking the voltage at the coil, ensuring the ecu has a light, reseating the connectors,  I cam to suspect the power transistor.

#10 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 63,753 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Pull plug wire and crank while looking for spark. Either yes or no.

That coil set up is also used on the Z24i and the D21 Hardbody.
Posted Image