Transmission Fluid and Differential Fluid Change

Seaway

Bought Redline GL-4 and 5 for my truck. I used the GL4 in my transfer case but my NEW output seal was throwing the oil out ;(. 

This oil is not cheap. Can I get away with 5 in the transfer case ? I have a lot of it left and I could use it for the transfer case. I believe my flange seal area was corroded just enough that it wouldn’t hold this slippery oil, but maybe seal was not correct either. 

See the wear on the seal area?

98-F4-DA85-AE2-E-4-BD0-82-E1-F36-AF4-E04

This is the seal that leaked

00-A24136-9-A3-E-488-D-9-C98-DF245-BD9-D

This a stock seal . I took the flange off this spare transfer case to use

9-AAE8-E07-F9-BC-4-ABB-87-DF-41-C80-D9-Fupload imagem

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see why you couldn't use GL-5 in the trans case. I don't think there are any copper alloys used in it.

Dress the seal surface with some really fine 500 grit paper or replace it. Definitely use a new seal with any synthetic. I learned this also.

• Like 1

Yep- new seal , but seal surface had micro pitting to allow oil out. Funny thing is that my brand new motor smoked at first and smelled like burnt oil. Well the smoke went away but the truck still smelled like burning oil. Well it was the gear oil being slung on my exhaust.

I dressed both and picked the best one , which wasn’t the one I had on. Ordering a Nissan seal.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Hey guys, I know you mentioned 80-90 GL4 is recommended for the transmission. My dad's mechanic wants to put GL5, but I said no, of course. Stalube only has 80-90 GL5 and 85-90 GL4. Would I be able to get away with 85-90? I'm not sure if this changes anything either, but the transmission has, give or take, 400,000 ish miles on his 81. Thank you   

I use Redline MT-90,75-90 in my 85 Nissan 720 4x4.I use the pump at Harbor freight.9.99 for pump.Awesome pump.I/2 drive to remove drain plug.Takes a hair less than 2 quarts.Amazon has 2 quarts for 40.99 with free shipping.I got mine their.When I removed drain plug no metal.I never grind my gears.

719nvofbSzL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

63588_W3.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Update: I went and got Sta-Lube® API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Gear Oil 85W90. This stuff is so hard to find now. AutoZone, Oreileys, and the local parts stores don't have it. I just ordered the gallon of NAPA so I could use the other half for my hardbody. It's raining in Cali here atm so I'll let everyone knows how the tranny shifts after the fluid change. 

On 12/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Read inside the green box. Non-synchronized manual transmissions...

well I missed that, its a good thing I asked hahaha. I am full of dumb questions as you guys have probably already realized 😆.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm about to order some Redline MT-90 GL-4 for tranny and transfer. But they only sell it in full synthetic. I know full synthetic motor oils can worsen leaks on older vehicles. I have first hand experience with this on my daily 94 accord. Do I run the same risk with synthetic gear oil?

Edited by IZRL

I put one qt synthetic engine oil in and right away the front crankshaft seal produced a drip. It went away on the next oil change to regular oil. On my transfer case the rear output began leaking, I replaced the seal and it was fine, then the front input from transmission began leaking, replaced and ok. The seals were $25 each! Haven't had good luck with synthetic. Your results might be different. 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I put one qt synthetic engine oil in and right away the front crankshaft seal produced a drip. It went away on the next oil change to regular oil. On my transfer case the rear output began leaking, I replaced the seal and it was fine, then the front input from transmission began leaking, replaced and ok. The seals were $25 each! Haven't had good luck with synthetic. Your results might be different. 

With my luck, I'll have the same outcome ha. I think I'm going to look for a non full synthetic option. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my accord incident. That oil change turned into replacing both front seals, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, oil pump O-ring, and serpentine belt. And since I always go with OEM parts unless they're discontinued. This cost me a pretty penny.

2 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Well, you don't need MT90 for the t-case. Any old gear oil will work there.

As far as it getting past the seals, on a motor, I might be concerned, but on a trans? Not so much. I don't know what the difference is. Maybe crankcase pressure?

The redline mt90 sells for $76 for 4 quarts on amazon. This is why I was just going to put MT90 in the transfer. Since it will take almost 4 qts to do tranny and transfer.

19 minutes ago, IZRL said:

The redline mt90 sells for $76 for 4 quarts on amazon. This is why I was just going to put MT90 in the transfer. Since it will take almost 4 qts to do tranny and transfer.

I use MT-90,I also get it from Amazon,best price.It is Awesome.

• Like 1