New guy with '74 620

AlexDeLarge

Hey guys just signed up and wanted to check in. I just got a 1974 Datsun 620 in really solid shape.

L18 engine with 120k, previous owner coated all underneath the truck and engine bay and has no rust

other than some minor surface spots on body and in bed. Truck has a 78-79 grill and painted front

bumper, but I have a new chrome bumper on the way and a mint oem early grill with beauty rings that

I will slap on it in the spring. Has Chevy wheels which I will eventually replace along with the mirrors.

I want to put some pictures up but I am not seeing a link to do it. I have a small oil leak under the truck

which I am thinking either a bad oil pan gasket or gasket on the oil pump. I am also going to replace the

base carb gasket this week as I have some air leaking around there causing a bit of rough idle. I am new to

the truck and not really a mechanic but am eager to learn a lot with this motor.

Couple of questions I have regarding body trim, was the side air vent on the white model truck originally a

silver/gray color? Mine are and have seen some pictures online that are the same as mine, but only on white

trucks.

Fender emblems: I know there are "Datsun" and "Datsun1600" emblems for the 72-77 models, but I have seen

a set on ebay advertised for the 620 which are "Datsun1500" which look just like the "Datsun1600" ones.

Did a 620 ever come with a "Datsun1500" fender emblem?

Anyways, I need a set of correct fender emblems for my truck if anybody has a set.

Will get some pictures up when I figure out how.

Glad to be here.

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Power wash the front. Get the oil pan and timing cover. Spray down with carb cleaner and let dry. Drive around and inspect daily for the source. Oil migrated downward and to an extent, can be forced backward by rad wind. Oil leaks are in rough order of frequency...

Valve cover

Front pulley crank seal

Oil pressure sender

Oil pan

Fuel pump gaskets

Timing cover

Rear crank seal

Dip stick seal.

Loose fram oil filter

You will need to get a free Photobucket account and upload your pictures there where they will host them for you....  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/  ...

I always thought the flow through air vents were black, it goes with any color. Never seen gray ones.

'73 had... DATSUN1600 (my personal favorite)

'74 through '78 had.... DATSUN

'79 had DATSUNby NISSAN

The '79 emblem marked the beginning of the (soft) transition from Datsun to Nissan by addition of the Nissan name to the Datsun emblem. The 'hard' change was around '82 when all badges were changed over to Nissan, sometimes having a Datsun  emblem or decal as well. The last Datsun emblem (I know of) was on the '86 300zx.

The DATSUN1500 was the J15 engine used outside N America... maybe south of the border.

• Like 1

The DATSUN1600 emblems are 521.

620s said DATSUN.

At least on American models.

'73 620s still said DATSUN1600 in the US/Canada.  Only that year. Emblems were unique to the US-market '73 620.

Datsun 1500 emblems were common in Asia, Europe, Central/South America, etc etc, and can sometimes be found on eBay sold through Thailand (probably cheap repros, though).

• Like 1

'73 620s still said DATSUN1600 in the US/Canada.  Only that year. Emblems were unique to the US-market '73 620. Ko

Datsun 1500 emblems were common in Asia, Europe, Central/South America, etc etc, and can sometimes be found on eBay sold through Thailand (probably cheap repros, though).

It wasn't the same script as the 521s, was it?

I don't think I have ever seen an original L16 620 before.

• Like 1

The DATSUN1600 emblems are 521.

620s said DATSUN.

At least on American models.

The 521 script was different .... DATSUN  1600  the 620 was tilted slightly DATSUN1600 and the 1600 was much larger than the letters.

I think I have a set of both.

• Like 1