Chevy rallye tire size/brand?

d.p

Got some 15x8 chevy rallyes w/trim rings for $120.  Will most likely PC them but in need of tires, I think the consensus is 195/50r15??  If so anyone recommend a tire? And goddamn tires are cheap in this size, used to paying $1000+ for tires.   

Will post pics soon.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 521. I used 195/65R15.

3" blocks and a few springs removed.

Bars turned and tightened in the front.

20151016_182005_zpssmfchpgf.jpg

A few people will jump on here saying the size I listed was too big.

I have proven it is not. 15x8 with my tire size is barely any different than OE diameter.

I like the way the fill the wheel well vs. running a smaller tire and needing to slam accordingly to make up for the lack of rubber.

I barely rolled the rear fenders. I more just flattened the lips. No stretch.

I wish I had a better pic. I think they fit, and look, perfect.

• Like 4

I have a 521 as well and both of those trucks look great.  I had saved some of your truck pics last night when was I searching. Jester you got a lower offset than most?  You guys rattle can the wheels or have them powder coated?  

30957011732_99b9ab9a72.jpg

Mine were PC.

How does it ride with the leafs removed?  I want to reduce the wheel gap on mine but not trying to sacrifice the ride completely to do it.  I figure 3" blocks and lower the front via the torsion bars (not low enough to have to reindex).  

225/60R15 BFGoodrich Radial T/As - old school with lettering out.  3" blocks and bars indexed.

Rubs all over the place.  :rofl:  Why wasn't I told this wouldn't work, dammit?!  But I still kinda like it.  Think I'd go 195/65 next time - like when I rub through a tire. Was good until I lowered.

26952017-9bd7-4d7e-9b0e-292118830996_zps

Well I got new shocks on mine but still don't want to be bouncing all over the place.  I guess without reindexing I can always just raise it back up.  

Tucson620 your tire 30mm wider with a taller sidewall which is way bigger than what I read is recommended (195/50r15).  

225/60R15 BFGoodrich Radial T/As - old school with lettering out.  3" blocks and bars indexed.

Rubs all over the place.  :rofl:  Why wasn't I told this wouldn't work, dammit?!  But I still kinda like it.  Think I'd go 195/65 next time - like when I rub through a tire. Was good until I lowered.

26952017-9bd7-4d7e-9b0e-292118830996_zps

After flattening the lips on my rear fenders, I don't ever rub.

If I was to haul a huge amount of cargo I could/would.

195/50 will fit, obviously. Too small for my eye-and a big enough difference that speedo will be affected-though, not by a lot.

I love the look of yours flatcat, but not sure I want to remove the leafs, just not at that stage in my life where I could put up with a shit ride.  If I just do 3" blocks and lower via torsion bars is the ride going to suck? If it won't I can go with a slightly taller tire to make up for the gap.  Tucson can you post a side pic of your truck?  And how did you lower yours?

• Like 1

Yeah I saved that rear picture last night.  

Not many old hard bodies anywhere around me on the east coast but I will see what I can find.  Can you use belltech lowering leaf springs for a 720 instead of the OEM + blocks?

• Like 1

Don't scared to remove a leaf or two.

My previous owner removed 3 and it rides OK. I'd probably do it again, if that matters.

Like I said before, my shocks are junk. KYB Gas-A-Just are on the post-Xmas shopping list.

Can always put them back if I don't like it.  

These what I am looking for? http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7698&gclid=CNnhhOz9htECFYdsfgodSAQBHw

Found them in the 520 forum.  

• Like 1