1982 Datsun 720 "Heavy Duty"

MattC280Z

Okay, sourced a rear axle on Ebay, its from a 95-97 Hardbody, its 3.545 ratio. will this guy fit my truck? I think he said it was an H190B, idk if the "B" means anything else or anything but heres the pics of it, if anyone can tell me exactly that it will work that would be awesome. He's asking $200 for just the diff+ shipping.

IMG_3422_zpsqxwm7fvk.jpg

IMG_3423_zpsj5fqy3g9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the headliner down to add some insulation for the summer heat thats starting to build, with my luck, I found a mouse sarcophagus up in there complete with a nest and shit! go me, lol

IMG_3426_zpslucc1myf.jpg

IMG_3425_zpsdjhquih1.jpg

Cut the insulation perfectly and it slid into the small slits like a glove. I used adhesive spray but probably didn't need to. 

IMG_3424_zps4onbx7ab.jpg

• Like 1

Tried to check the rear end fluid level today, but both plugs are knurled pretty bad, I'm going to spray then daily with PB Blaster and try again in a week or so, are they they same thread type as a 280Z differential plugs? i can't find them for my truck outright but R200 plugs are all over the place.

Okay, sourced a rear axle on Ebay, its from a 95-97 Hardbody, its 3.545 ratio. will this guy fit my truck? I think he said it was an H190B, idk if the "B" means anything else or anything but heres the pics of it, if anyone can tell me exactly that it will work that would be awesome. He's asking $200 for just the diff+ shipping.

IMG_3422_zpsqxwm7fvk.jpg

IMG_3423_zpsj5fqy3g9.jpg

The flange on that rear end is larger than the 720 H190.  Your drive line will not bolt up.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Good thread!  I just picked up an '85 720!  I'm wondering the same...how to determine whether or not the truck is a "Heavy Duty", MPG (is this a fuel economy version?), or I'm assuming the other option is what you guys are calling a Cab/Chassis model.

I'm in need of a new carburetor and I'm finding reference to knowing whether or not you have a Heavy Duty model or not.  I have the CA41 axle in the rear.  

What kinds of options are on the Heavy Duty model?

Automatics often used the 4.11 differential.

MPG models only came with the Z20 (S) engines.

Cab/Chassis are delivered without a bed or box on the frame. It's assumed the buyer will be installing a camper or commercial utility box on it. Most have dual rear tires and have a load capacity of 1,570 pounds (single wheel) and 1,700 pounds (dual wheels) rather than the stock 1,100 pounds. Find the engine tag on the inner right fender under the hood hinge. If it starts with E it's Heavy Duty or Cab/Chassis with dual wheels. Only 4x4 and HD/Cab/Chassis got the C-200 differential with 4.11 gears (CA41). All 2wd were H-190 axle and differential.

Thanks for the reply!! 

Interesting...I do have a 4X4 model.  It's a manual transmission (FS5W71B) with Axle CA41.  Is does not have dual rear wheels.

Which line on the engine tag should start with an "E" for Heavy Duty?

Mine says

"TYPE":  KNY720

"MODEL":  KNLY720TUFI51

"ENGINE":  Z24(S)

"TRANS": FS5W71B

"AXLE": CA41

If this is NOT a "Heavy Duty" and is not a "MPG", what could it be?  

I must have missed that it was a 4x4. Only 2wd are MPG option, Heavy Duty or Cab/Chassis.

It's a Federal emissions, King Cab regular bed 4x4 720 5 speed (there were no 4 speed or automatic Z24 4x4s) Only the first few months of the '83 model year had 3.889 ratio differentials....the vast majority of Z24 powered 4x4s were 4.11 gear rear ends and all were C200.

So you have an average 720 4x4.... sorry. Some amount of heavy duty is built into the 4x4 but it's standard. For example the Heavy Duty 2wd and 4x4 shock absorbers are the same.