Blinker Issues

0ver0range

I just developed a new problem with my blinkers after fixing my speedometer: whenever I flip my blinkers to the left, they work perfectly normal. But when flipping them to the right, they blink much quicker, lights are dimmer, and both back lights blink while the correct front one blinks. The hazards work correctly. When I apply the brakes and flip the blinkers to the right, the indicator arrow stays lit up and no ticking noise is heard; however, applying the brakes and indicating left works as normal.

I have since replaced the flasher relay and this has solved two issues: the issue of abnormal ticking speed, both right and left flash at a normal interval, and the issue of dim lights while indicating right. The other issues remain, though, and it's weird because this problem just started yesterday; unless I was completely oblivious to it. Perhaps someone has had an issue similar and can point me in the right direction, or just educate me on the type of thought process required to solve these problems since I am not a skilled car person by any means. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the bulbs on the right side at the back and if nothing check the fronts.

Your original flasher unit is load dependent the more current draw, the faster they flash. Newer flasher units are electronic and have a set flash interval. This is why the flash speed was corrected. One of those bulbs probably has a broken filament that has jumped over onto another.

• Like 1

Check the bulbs on the right side at the back and if nothing check the fronts.

Your original flasher unit is load dependent the more current draw, the faster they flash. Newer flasher units are electronic and have a set flash interval. This is why the flash speed was corrected. One of those bulbs probably has a broken filament that has jumped over onto another.

That's a neat piece of info about flasher units. I may put my original one back in just becausae it's louder and apparently is still working fine. 

All of the bulbs are fine; I even replaced a few. So that's not an issue. Wiring in the back also seems fine in matching up with diagrams. I discovered that while I press the brake down and indicate right, without a key in the ignition, the parking brake light and the fasten seat belt light will flash, not the indicator arrow, and a beep will sound. The flashing and beeping will slow down as I put the parking/running lights on, and then more so when I put the head lights on. This doesn't happen when I indicate left. So does this likely mean there's some funky wiring behind the dash? or could it still be a simple fix/ a result of a short somewhere?

I just developed a new problem with my blinkers after fixing my speedometer: whenever I flip my blinkers to the left, they work perfectly normal. But when flipping them to the right, they blink much quicker, lights are dimmer, and both back lights blink while the correct front one blinks. The hazards work correctly. When I apply the brakes and flip the blinkers to the right, the indicator arrow stays lit up and no ticking noise is heard; however, applying the brakes and indicating left works as normal.

I have since replaced the flasher relay and this has solved two issues: the issue of abnormal ticking speed, both right and left flash at a normal interval, and the issue of dim lights while indicating right. The other issues remain, though, and it's weird because this problem just started yesterday; unless I was completely oblivious to it. Perhaps someone has had an issue similar and can point me in the right direction, or just educate me on the type of thought process required to solve these problems since I am not a skilled car person by any means. 

You know you own a Datsun when ^^^