Setting timing on the L20B

Mike Phillips

Question: Which side of the engine is the timing mark tab supposed to be on for the L20B?

My L20B didn't have a timing tab on it, (bought used), but the L18 I removed did have one and it was on the drivers side of the engine.

Can I simply remove the timing tab off the L18 and bolt it onto the L20B and will this timing tab work for the L20B engine?

I'm trying to find Top Dead Center so I can find Number 1 on the rotor cap and then install the spark plug wires and fire this pig up.

If anyone reading this can help please feel free to call me on my cell to speed up this process as I'm burning daylight and I'd really like to fire the engine today.

949-533-0225

If the timing mark tab off the L18 won't work the I'm looking for a timing mark tab for a L20B if anyone has one.

Thanks

Mike

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link I'll watch your video.

Found a timing mark tab for sale on e-bay, not sure if it's the one for my engine or not.

Timing Tab on eBay

Have ordered a new valve cover gasket from NAPA so tomorrow I'll remove the valve cover and locate TDC

Once I have TDC I should be able to find Number 1 spark plug terminal on the distributor and then install my spark plug wires.

After that I'll try to static time the engine and then see if she'll fire up.

Thanks for the link.

• 1 month later...

***Update***

If found my timing tab, apparently I removed the timing tab off the L20B when I was cleaning it and painting it and then misplaced it. I got it running by guessing at the timing. While doing a Saturn Alternator Upgrade and I had the alternator off the engine I bolted the timing tab on as as soon as I get the wiring figured out I'll start her up and put a timing light on her.

For reference in the future in case this helps someone else...

The timing tab on the left is the one that came on my L20B, the timing tab on the right is the one that came on the L18 that was stock in my 1974 Datsun Truck.

TimingTabs01.jpg

The L18 Timing Tab bolts onto the Driver's side of the L18 Block, (this is a picture of my L20B engine I'm just using for position referencing).

TimingTabs02.jpg

And the L20B Timing Tab bolts onto the Passenger's side of the block here,

TimingTabs03.jpg

:)

Edited by Mike Phillips

I bought the L20B engine used so I don't know what year it is or what it came out of originally but from what I can tell from this page,

http://olddatsuns.com/620tech2.htm#TM

And this picture,

DatsunTiming.jpg

If I get the timing around the 10 degree to 12 degree mark after the engine is warmed up and with the vacuum to the distributor removed and the vacuum line plugged off I should be in the ball park?

It's been running hot and I guessed at the timing so when I put a light on it I'll check to see if my guess was off and it's retarded.

:)