Will these 18s work on a 521?

Diego Zuniga

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they will have to fit/be made to fit, as you already bought them. Gato is right about milling the centers out. I've heard of using a router for this. Offset is unknown. Rim may be too far in or too far out. Something else that should be researched before buying.

Vehicles are designed and have a certain aesthetic that relies on a certain size rim and tire. The 620s were 14" probably the 521 as well. You can go 15s but more, and the wheel doesn't look right in the wheel well. Not enough rubber showing I guess. Too large rims draw too much attention to themselves and away from the vehicle. You can do what ever you like, it's your vehicle, but just imagine your 14s on an Armada. There's no right or wrong..... but there is, awkward looking.

521s were 6:00 X14 that would be 175/70R14 today so 6.7" wide and 23.65" tall which is important to keep as it affects the speedometer and performance.

On an 18" rim you would want around a 165/45R18 which is 23.8" tall and 6.5" wide. You can go wider but keep the diameter (height) the same...

185/40R18 is 23.8" by 7.25" wide

• Like 1

I still don't understand the oversized wheels on small low riding vehicles.....unless you're going off roading or the "look"?, but then you'll need to lift it to pull it off, i don't get it :no:

It's OK, I don't fully understand the infatuation with small skinny steel wheels, balloon sidewalls, and "must have" dog dish hubcaps.  To each their own I guess lol

• Like 4

I say go for it. They do look cool.

If the offset is wrong, and you need to use a wheel spacer (or wheel adapter), it's likely you won't have to cut the center bore at all.

If you don't need a wheel spacer, instead of cutting the bore of the wheel, I'd cut the hub (depending on the amount of cut obviously) so that replacement wheels don't need modifying to fit.

• Like 1

Some rims are centered by the hole for the hub and not by the studs.

I still don't understand the oversized wheels on small low riding vehicles.....unless you're going off roading or the "look"?, but then you'll need to lift it to pull it off, i don't get it :no:

DON'T be this guy....

This is not what he's after (I hope) The wheel is still the same height,  there is just more rim and a thin rubber band around the edge. Like this...

159125d1278913987-19-wheels-tires-sale-t

Not for me but to each their own. Younger kids see more of these than the old school 14". looks 'normal' to them, seems odd to me on an old truck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the concern on how I spend my money guys,yes I would never make a big purchase without being sure they fit. However I picked these wheels up for a song so they were very well worth the risk. As for what looks right I agree its all a matter of opinion. We are a small 521 community we should be encouraging each other and helping each other to keep these bad ass little truck on the road not how 20 inch or 13 imch wheels look and who is right or who is wrong news flash there is no right answer. Hell I bought 18s and I am not sure if I will like them. I am a datsun enthusiasts and I enjoy looking at everyone's truck equally and I appreciate you all posting pictures and sharing.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone said how to spend your money and you did ask if they will fit without mods. Several points were brought up about fitment of the rim and a correct tire size to avoid disappointment but now you now say you were sure they fit before buying? Part of the fit is the 'look' I'm sure, and this may or may not have been 'overlooked'. Encouragement is all well and good but no one is going to encourage you to drive off a cliff.

An opinion by definition cannot be wrong, even yours. If you like, or think 19" is what you want and will work, you should go for it.

• Like 1

Hey guys started messing with these Nissan Armada rims on my 521. I keep hearing about fitting issues with the rim clearing the hub. My question is what does this mean are you guys talking about the little tabs that keep the brake drum centered? Also how do I tell if I have clearance issues? What am I looking for because I have the wheel on there with lug nuts and it seems to be fine and fit. Did I get very luck with no mods needed or  am I overlooking something?

18" should easily clear any brake drum or caliper. What about the center hole? Does the rim fit on and right back against the WMS? (wheel mounting surface) Is it the hole in the rim center or the shoulders on the wheel nuts that center the rim??