Help me select a header-L20b

KamakSun

Hey all

I'm about to put dual 45dcoe's on my l20b, but first I need to bolt on headers. Please let me know what would be best to run; the manifold currently on, the short header or the long one. The exhaust is completely rotted so it will be replaced most likely with 2 inch pipe and a muffler of all y'alls recommendation(I'm hoping for something that would have been used on the car in the late seventies or early eighties. Below are pictures of what I have.

Thank you,

Kamaksun

FB947C98-2F6A-467A-9160-3822896B4EA9_zps

7887012B-233B-473D-AB38-4186B0A96DFC_zps

53EF2B5B-28C2-4D53-AD89-0E6AA9345FF4_zps

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old hot rodders trick learned from the keeper; take a wire wheel to that stock manifold and get the surface rust off, then rub anti sieze into it, re-install and fire it up and let it idle till it quits smoking. Now take it for a blast, romp it pretty hard, leave the windows up as it may smoke again. It forms a nice matte grey coating that lasts better than paint if done correctly.

• Like 2

The cast exhaust you have is most likely from an L16 although the L18 also uses a similar one. It is used on 510s but not 510 specific. It was also used on the L16s used on the '70-'72 521 and the '73 620.

I have one on my L20B and have no problems with it.

hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

The only advantage to the header on the left is it is lighter. Otherwise it...

Rarely fits well, doesn't clear steering or suspension. The stock manifold is a perfect fit

Comes loose needs tightening at flange.

Rusts out, rarely lasts 4-5 years. The stock manifold lasts forever.

Noisy.

Expensive. The stock manifold is free.

Bitch to install. The stock manifold is already there.

• Like 2

Try for the largest muffler you can fit. If going to 2" pipe add 2.25" adapters and run a 2.25" inlet muffler. A 'turbo' style is ok with lots of dampening material inside. Don't go fart can... isn't necessary isn't worth, it sounds like shit. 

Don't go to 3" pipe either. just 1.75 or maybe 2" is more than enough. This keeps the exhaust gas speed up which helps to limit mid range torque loss from a too large pipe.

A 'nice' muffler and new pipe will get you more than a header will. Headers are useful if you have major head work (larger valves/cam porting) more compression and multiple side draft carbs but it really is hard to beat the stock manifold.

I have the dynomax stainless muffler on my car and it sounds great, good throat and not crackly like a flowmaster or cherrybomb or rice pipe.

If the motor has stock guts use the manifold but if it's mods you may see more top end from the long tube.

• 8 months later...