Valve Stem Seal questions...

BrandonS

Firstly I guess if you guys could double check my logic.  When coasting down larger hills in gear I'm getting a burning oil smell (much like if it was leaking on an exhaust manifold).  I do not have this smell during any other time of driving, only when coasting down large hills and it goes away fairly quickly after.  This leads me to think my valve stem seals are bad.

So with that being the case, I know the KD Tools 3087 is the commonly used tool. I am not finding one for sale so I went on a search for an alternative.  I came across this eBay ad for one for a Mercedes engine.  It looks to be the same type of design.  Do you guys think it will work?  I've never used a spring compressor of this nature or even opened up my 510's valve cover to have a visualization (I've only had it a week and google images isn't the same as seeing).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182326787756?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The valve seals only seal excess oil from running down the valve stem into the engine. They wouldn't be a significant source of vapors escaping the engine and besides the PCV system should contain and remove them

Check your PCV  system is connected and working. There is a block vent pipe coming out from the block on the left side through the exhaust manifold pipes. From there to a rubber hose to the PCV valve mounted on the intake between the two SU carbs. A small amount of intake vacuum draws blow by gasses, consisting of burned and unburned gas, oil and water vapors, from the crank case and back into the engine to be burned. For the air that is removed, filtered make up air is drawn into the valve cover through a hose from the air filter.  Under heavy load the blow by gasses can exceed the ability of the PCV valve to draw them into the intake and the extra will back up and flow out the valve cover vent and into the air filter,through the carbs and into the engine. It's a foolproof system as long as it is sealed.

Some people remove the hose from the valve cover to the air filter and put little blue air filters on the end. When gasses back up they spew into the engine compartment and can enter the cab.

Exhaust and oil smells are inevitable but should be out the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car. Check your rubber trunk seals rear door seals, rear side vent window seals or any other entry point for exhaust smells.

Yea my car just has the little filter on it from the PO.  I wasn't expecting the gasses to come out to smell like burnt oil so that's what threw me for the loop.  Some rubber hose and a PCV is cheaper than the valve tool so it's def worth a shot.  It looks like on mine the pcv system would go from the valve cover straight to the airbox, obviously with a valve thrown in here so that's easy enough.

Thanks for the logic check.

There's no valve between the valve cover and the air box. Filtered air is drawn into the engine most of the time. Under certain havy throttle loads the blow by is excessive and will back up and out the valve cover. Excessive blow by that escapes the valve cover is directed into the air box where the carbs suck it into the engine. I don't know why people take this system apart.

If you don't have the stock air box, direct the valve cover hose down beside the block below the starter and the fumes will blow under the car.

• Like 1

I see how it works now.  I found a diagram.  The crankcase fumes are, like you said, pulled out of the block into the carbs/manifold (the cloth looking line in between them like you said).  The filter put on my care is an "inlet" to allow that to happen, but will become an outflow when the system backs up during heavy use.

So i can just run a straight rubber tube where it's highlighted blue?

PjHcAmD.jpg

• Like 1

You can get more oil going past the valve seals and pistons going downhill due to the large amound of vacuum in the intake/ intake stroke of the engine. All engines with some milage do this more or less.

Makes for a stinky exhaust at the bottom of hills

• Like 1

^^ Correct.

High vacuum will pull oil right past worn valve guides and seals. Very typical. 

You can get the valve retainers off with even a HF overhead valve compressor. You can either compress the cylinder with air and your air compressor, or you can pull the plug and  fill the bore with a length of rope to keep the valve from dropping inside the motor. Put some rope in there, rotate motor to compress rope against valves at TDC. Make sure at TDC.

Yea the PCV system is there. I failed my safety inspection for the rubber hose not being there today, along with the car being too low. I'll put a piece of hose in there tomorrow when I'm raising the coilovers back up and changing out wheels to pass inspection.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably just replace the valve stem seals if the smell doesn't go away.

PjHcAmD.jpg

Correct.

Hainz is right that looks nice. I thought the Late L16SSS and the L18SSS had the 'tuna tin' flattop SUs on them. I have a set on a K14 intake.

That might be the case, but both 1800SSS (a third one had Mikunis) that I looked at had this style SU as well as all the 1600SSS. I thought the flat tops post dated the 510 SSS, unless maybe some of the very very late ones had them.

^^ Correct.

High vacuum will pull oil right past worn valve guides and seals. Very typical. 

You can get the valve retainers off with even a HF overhead valve compressor. You can either compress the cylinder with air and your air compressor, or you can pull the plug and  fill the bore with a length of rope to keep the valve from dropping inside the motor. Put some rope in there, rotate motor to compress rope against valves at TDC. Make sure at TDC.

That's good to know. I was thinking maybe a regular style wouldn't clear the cam because The video(s)/tgread(s) mentioned to use the cam hook style.

that motor looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what kind of spark plug wires are those????????? Like to get a set or 2

I can't find the ones with the metal heat shields, but they are this brand I think...

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search;_ylt=A7dPGOmGEEBYzyQA20NAPDh8;_ylu=X3oDMTBiaGxjcmduBHZ0aWQDanBjMDAy?p=%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89+510+ultra&aq=-1&oq=&x=0&y=0&ei=UTF-8&tab_ex=commerce&auccat=26322&slider=0

That might be the case, but both 1800SSS (a third one had Mikunis) that I looked at had this style SU as well as all the 1600SSS. I thought the flat tops post dated the 510 SSS, unless maybe some of the very very late ones had them.

These are the ones I have...

710carbs004Large.jpg

See the little red covered tube, that's the vacuum advance. Just to the left is some air tube that should connect over to the other SU with the adjustment screw. The hoses are missing for it. I was told this was some kind of air adjustment for emissions. If so perhaps a later SU set up? These tubes are usually plugged or removed here. Wouldn't mind knowing more about them.

Can't see your vacuum advance for the distributor.

I am by no means 100% sure the flat tops didn't come on the 1800SSS cars, but in the year it took me to find my car I can't recall seeing a car that had them on it. Maybe the round tops are just a common swap or something, but they seem to be on every car that doesn't have Mikunis or Webers swapped in.

All 3 of these cars are 1800SSS (the sedan may be a retro fit), every single one has the round top.

http://ucar.carview.yahoo.co.jp/model/nissan/bluebird/9270893225UC/?page=16#mnc

http://ucar.carview.yahoo.co.jp/model/nissan/bluebird/6425631614UC/?page=19#mnc

http://www.japan-vintage.com/stocklist/detail.php?stri=37345&stci=1204