Transmission Identification Help

ejydryd

Just check the position of the reverse lamp switch if you find a four speed for the front case. I've never seen it, but sometimes, maybe on the much earlier mid '70s? the switch is about an inch to the rear of all 5 speeds. Just check.

Here you can see the two bosses for this. This one has the switch to the front.

FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

This one was to the rear and was plugged and a new hole drilled and tapped to move the switch forward.

relocatereverseswitchfor5spd.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Internals between the four and five speed are all in the rear. The front bellhousing section is a very easy swap. Can be done on a workbench in about 20 minutes. But... while you have the front case off, you might want to pull the rear and re-seal the whole trans.

I'm sure there's a how-to on this site somewhere, but if you can't find it, definitely ask before you try (I have no idea about your mechanical skill level). There are snap rings and threaded holes that need to be siliconed, etc.

Ya im never sure of my mechanical ability either. I do pretty good. Even my motor build I got way outside my conform zone but I learn by taking things a part. Alot of notes and pics and measurements.. but that's gonna have to wait for now the info is great... I actually had the 5spd on ebay.. just canceled that. Now I'll just keep my eyes out for the correct bell housing and I'll have a good project upgrade once the trucks on the road. Right know I got a good working 4spd gets me on the road.... thanks to all

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have a 5spd transmission that says ZL71B what does it go to... I've been wanting to sell it but don't really know what it mates too to list it properly.

are you willing to sell it? I may need one. I have an 85 720 4x4 with the z24 transmission, if you have the transmission that fits my model.

The FS5W71B was used on at least 4 different types of engines L, Z, SD and CA, as well as two different lengths, so find out what it was designed to fit first. You have the Z series version 26" or 31.5" long for the 720.

Don't know about the 71A that was only used in the very early 70s on the Z car. After '71 the 71B 4 speed was used and after '76 the 71B 5 speed. Early 71B 4 speeds also had the reverse lamp switch in a different place than the later 5 speeds.

Well technically the 71a would have the correct bell housing to mate to an L series motor if they were used in the 240z cars. Weren't those a 2.4 L series ... either way I'll do a lot more comparing once I am ready... that's on my wish list. If the bell housing happens to become available sweet if not so be it for now. But thanks for all the input I poke around with the info in my spare time...

There was a Roaster 5 speed with a removable Bell. The early 240z car (I think in Europe) had this same Bell cast to fit the new L series bolt pattern so the older Roadster 5 speed could be used for road racing in the new Z car. It wasn't available on the N American Z car but you could import this adapted Roadster transmission for the Fairlady. It was a competition unit, hence the C in the name. (C=steel synchros)

FS5C71A

FS5C71AoptiontwoLseries.jpg

LRoadsterbell002.jpgLRoadsterbell003.jpg

My info shows the F4W71A used up to Aug '71 and the newer F4W71B from Sept '71 on.

The A has a shifter linkage similar to the stock 510 (monkey motion) Looks very much like the Roadster 5 speed mentioned earlier and nothing like the 71B

The B uses the same shift set of as the later 5 speed.

The 520/521/510  all had the lightweight J13 or L16 engines and only needed the F4W63 4 speed, the one with the removable oil pan on the bottom. The F4W63 was changed to the F4W63L around '72/'73 (I assume it was improved or strengthened) and was used in the '73 620 truck (L16) , the 610/710and the A10s with 2 liter engines.  No 71B was ever used in any 70s 4 cylinder car.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Don't know about the 71A that was only used in the very early 70s on the Z car. After '71 the 71B 4 speed was used and after '76 the 71B 5 speed. Early 71B 4 speeds also had the reverse lamp switch in a different place than the later 5 speeds.

So I put a wtb ad in the classifieds that i was looking for an lseries bellhousing for my zl71b transmission.. I recently got a response for my bellhousing swap, its from a 73 240z. It is a 4 speed. It looks right but I am told it has no markings that say 71b? How can I be sure it will work?

I know I need to deal with that one bearing is there anything else I need to be concerned with?

image1_zpsnew9qcep.jpeg

This front case will fit the 5 speed you have.

About the front cover. Take yours off and measure the bottom (counter bearing) diameter. If 56mm you can use your cover plate.

If 62mm.... two things. It won't fit that L case so you will need to pull it off and replace with a new 56mm one. You will need the matching cover plate for it.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx011Large.jpg

So definitely 62mm... so I'll make sure I get that cover plate with the L series bell housing.... and basically the 62mm bearing is the one I need to replace with the 56mm....

Can you also bore L series bell housing to except the 62mm bearing and use the matching front cover....

Bearing swap will probably be easier....

Thanks for the help...

So definitely 62mm... so I'll make sure I get that cover plate with the L series bell housing....

Yes.

...and basically the 62mm bearing is the one I need to replace with the 56mm....

Yes.

Can you also bore L series bell housing to except the 62mm bearing and use the matching front cover....

You can, yes

Bearing swap will probably be easier....

Thanks for the help...

Yes, easier.

'72 and up 240/260/280z and all 280zx (non turbo), 810 and Maxima, '77-'79 620, 80-'84 720, '80-'83 S110 200sx. '84 S12 200sx. These will all have the 56 mm counter bearing.

I would order one for a '78 280z 5 speed. The very earliest 240z used a different transmission and you don't want someone making a mistake. After '84 a 62mm bearing was used. Aim for the middle.

32219-E9000 under $20 at the dealer but I had one sent to me by an admirer that is made in Japan by NACHI  $12 CDN.