Ever seen A-Series crank fire ignition with 2 blades 180 degrees apart?

Tom1200

This may belong in electrical but felt it should be here:

In my hoard of A-series parts I have hardware for crank fire ignition; this includes a modified timing cover with a two wire sensor and a modified pulley that has two blades welded onto a small crank pulley. Clearly these are intended to fire every time a set of pistons 1/3 4/2 come up to the top of the cylinder (wasted spark).

Most crank fire systems run multiple small teeth, so has anyone ever seen a set up with just two blades/teeth?

I think the parts were with a batch of parts I got that were on a D-sports racer (read 10,000 RPM A13 motors in single seat racing cars) and likely were powered by an Electromotive ignition unit.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This may belong in electrical but felt it should be here:

In my hoard of A-series parts I have hardware for crank fire ignition; this includes a modified timing cover with a two wire sensor and a modified pulley that has two blades welded onto a small crank pulley. Clearly these are intended to fire every time a set of pistons 1/3 4/2 come up to the top of the cylinder (wasted spark).

Most crank fire systems run multiple small teeth, so has anyone ever seen a set up with just two blades/teeth?

I think the parts were with a batch of parts I got that were on a D-sports racer (read 10,000 RPM A13 motors in single seat racing cars) and likely were powered by an Electromotive ignition unit.

As far as I know Electromotive has always used the 60-2 trigger wheels. Bought my first TEC II system back in 1991

What you have there with the two wide triggers 180 apart sounds to me like someone adapted a motorcycle CDI to the engine. Zeeltroincs (and a few other company's) make programmable CDIs that will work with that trigger wheel setup. I'm installing a Zeeltroincs CDI on my dirt bike. Compared to others they are very inexpensive and can be tuned with a laptop or handheld programmer. Pretty cool and simple setup.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw you're ad for the dry sump parts and was planning on asking you if there were other bits you were going to sell off. I'll PM you.

On the ignition what MSD unit was it using? How was it wired up, pair of coils or 4 individual coils? I've been running the the standard electronic distributor but with revving the motor to 8200 it's on the outside edge of what it can handle.

Tom

I won't claim to be an EFI guru but the injector(s) just need some kind of signal. I seem to recall some of the guys just using the stock distributor and running a signal of of that.

Tom

yeah .... i just want it to appear as stock as possible .. maybe thats a option