New to Ratsun

logan66

Hey guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself and show and show you some oics of my car. Still haven't figured out why you guys don't say pics but whatever maybe one of you can enlighten me.  Anyways I picked up a 280z about 3 weeks ago from a guy selling all his Datsun stuff because he was moving away and didn't want to put it all in storage.  That being said, I know this should be posted to classifieds but I have a ton of 240 stuff sitting in my garage that I don't need B)   Anyways the car has a 2.8L in it currently that doesn't run, but I also got a 2.6L with triple webers that has a few more goodies on it that I plan on sticking in the car.  I will try to post on this showing the progress of the build.  I don't think it will be anything special and I don't know if anyone will care to follow it but I have been looking through the forum for awhile and everyone seems really helpful and there is a lot of good information out there.  I will probably be posting a lot of questions as well beings this is the first Datsun I've owned.  Anyways here's a couple oics!

overview%20pic_zpsodtmecus.jpg

2.6_zpswcnzndhi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oics origin....

A previous mod was drunk posting one night and tried to type 'pics please'. Missed the p and hit the o and posted 'oics please' It was good enough to keep.

Yes, better to post for sale items in the classifieds or people start asking questions, offers, etc We'd like to keep the forums clear for information sharing.

Welcome to Ratsun Logan.

• Like 1

oics origin....

A previous mod was drunk posting one night and tried to type 'pics please'. Missed the p and hit the o and posted 'oics please' It was good enough to keep.

Yes, better to post for sale items in the classifieds or people start asking questions, offers, etc We'd like to keep the forums clear for information sharing.

Welcome to Ratsun Logan.

This whole time I thought it meant original image content. 

• Like 3

Great looking Z! Welcome to the forum, the people here helped me tremendously with my 280z build that I started 4 years ago.

If you haven't already, make sure you get a copy of the Fuel Injection Bible and FSM from Xenons30. And I agree with Banzai, the fuel injection is great once you work the kinks out which is usually just old equipment (cold start valve, corroded connectors, etc). It's easy to tune and troubleshoot compared to carbs, a cheap multimeter will get you pretty far in the troubleshooting process.

Can't wait to see more photos!

I know a lot of you said to keep the 2.8 in there but I decided to take it out this weekend.  Hopefully next weekend I can get the engine bay all cleaned up and painted to get the webers in.  Then this build might start getting interesting. :thumbup:   for some reason pasting the photobucket url isn't working this time but ill try to upload some pictures of it later.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I feel like this is something super obvious but I can't figure it out.  I'm in the process of stripping the engine bay but i came across a problem.  So when I got this car some of it was already disassembled and I have no idea what this deal is right above the brake booster.  I tried finding it in the owners manual but had no luck.  Anyways it's a motor that pulls a linkage of some sort.  It has one hose connected to nothing(cut from previous owner) and one that runs down to some type of sensor on the side of the brake pedal. And there's the cable that's connected to nothing right now but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have anything to do with the throttle linkage right next to it.  Anyways I'm sure someone on here knows what it is right away.  I really just want to know if I need it or not for the swap. Thanks in advance.

wtf_zpsnr5g46ew.jpg

i have taken appart alot of z,s and never seen one of these 

I would also suspect aftermarket cruise control and brake cancels the set 

now look in the car for some kind of set switch 

Ok so I feel like this is something super obvious but I can't figure it out.  I'm in the process of stripping the engine bay but i came across a problem.  So when I got this car some of it was already disassembled and I have no idea what this deal is right above the brake booster.  I tried finding it in the owners manual but had no luck.  Anyways it's a motor that pulls a linkage of some sort.  It has one hose connected to nothing(cut from previous owner) and one that runs down to some type of sensor on the side of the brake pedal. And there's the cable that's connected to nothing right now but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have anything to do with the throttle linkage right next to it.  Anyways I'm sure someone on here knows what it is right away.  I really just want to know if I need it or not for the swap. Thanks in advance.

wtf_zpsnr5g46ew.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so after some careful consideration and advice from you guys I have decided to keep the L28 and go with that instead of the L26 with the webers.  Anyways to get to the point I have been offered a trade on CL for the Webers and Intake plus some cash for all the turbo components from an L28et.  I have looked into this for later down the road but since the offers on the table I may try and get it now.  I have tried to do as much research on this as I can and am still doing so but I don't have much time to try to get on this deal(if it is one).  So I was going to ask you guys how much money on top of the trade should I pay to try and get this setup that would seem fair for both of us?  I can't find much info on pricing for the turbo parts but he says he has everything needed. The wiring harness, ecu, intake manifold, etc.  I have also read a little about the compression ratio of the n/a and from what I've seen running stock boost on the N/a L28 is fairly safe.  So if anyone would like to help me out with what a good price tag on top of the trade would be and everything I need to check to see if he has for a complete turbo setup on the N/A( I know a little bit about turbo systems but have never owned a turbocharged car).  I'm going to keep researching but any info would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure he should be paying you. Before I bought my RB I had multiple price quotes for the L28et for $700-$1000 for the whole engine.

A set of triple webers+intake is $1750 from MSA if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I'm thinking the same now.  I saw about that same price on theZstore today.  I knew that the L28et was more rare than the N/A but I didn't know what that stuff would be worth all together for it.  Anyways I think I'll pass on the trade now.  Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I just wanted to update my thread since I haven't updated anything in awhile and wanted to share with everyone.

So I started out by cutting out the rust out under the battery tray including the tray itself.  Then I welded in some sheet metal (I know my welding skills aren't the best so go easy on me haha) 

rusty_zpsu73gp5kd.jpg

cut%20out%20rust_zpsgoxconru.jpg

welded%20tray_zps9yfcdevs.jpg

After all that I cleaned up the engine bay, sanded it all down and sprayed it, here's an oic!

painted%20bay_zpshlzg7zgp.jpg

• Like 1