Nitrogen bullshit exposed

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how air is 79% free nitrogen to begin with. How nitrogen molecules are smaller than oxygen so how do they not leak out through the rubber slower. How nitrogen tires (all four) are 6 grams (2 ping pong balls) lighter than air filled ones. That nitrogen and ordinary air expand about the same when heated.

• Like 1

Costco uses it here in my area and there is no up charge.

My experience with it is from racing and it was used specifically because it is dry, so when heated

the pressure does not rise as much as when using air and the moisture that is in it.

My bottom line is I would use it at the track but on personal vehicles I wouldn't pay extra for it.

• Like 2

"Dry" Nitrogen has no moisture, so the interior rubber surfaces of the tire [or God forbid the inner tube if you remember what they were]  will not rot as if it was exposed to moisture and heat,  With today's blends of synthetic rubber I do not believe that this advantage is as significant as it was when I ran my 1955 Chevy!  Yes, we knew of the advantages of a Dry Nitrogen fill way back in the dark ages, especially if you "inadvertently" got into an impromptu drag race.  Especially for the pinks.  Or if you were a cab driver.

• Like 1

Nitrogen was used in airplane tires, because water would sometimes condense out of the air in the tire, and at altitude, run to the bottom of the tire, and then freeze.  This chunk of ice would then take the tire out of balance, because the tire is not spinning until it hits the runway.

So, if nitrogen was needed in an airplane tire, it must be necessary for your car, and it is a advertising advantage for shops that have systems to use nitrogen. 

• Like 1

"Dry" Nitrogen has no moisture, so the interior rubber surfaces of the tire [or God forbid the inner tube if you remember what they were]  will not rot as if it was exposed to moisture and heat,  With today's blends of synthetic rubber I do not believe that this advantage is as significant as it was when I ran my 1955 Chevy!  Yes, we knew of the advantages of a Dry Nitrogen fill way back in the dark ages, especially if you "inadvertently" got into an impromptu drag race.  Especially for the pinks.  Or if you were a cab driver.

...and I remember nylon tires, then 'wide oval' tires then fiberglass and then steel belts. Then Radials. Not many remember that we didn't always run on radial ply tires. But just like my single master cylinder '64 Dodge, we lived in spite of those tires. The hot tire for '69 was the Goodyear fiberglass raised letter tire. They were standard on my '70 Dart 340 and I survived going a buck fifty on them... shake my head now. When my new '76 B-210 needed new rubber bands I bought radials. The difference was night and day.

• Like 1

Ah !! Yeah. The 'Good Ol' Days' 

Uniroyal 'Tiger Paws' on a mid 60's GTO. (Pontiac; not Ferrari)

Decades of living dangerously !!!

I had a set of those on a 94 gmc 

absolutely the worst tire I have ever driven on in the rain

• Like 1

50 year old tires? I should hope so. Likely they were nylon bias ply and not even radial ply.

nope they were radial uniroyal tiger paw piece of shits 

plenty of tread but hydroplane like mad 

• Like 1

...and I remember nylon tires, then 'wide oval' tires then fiberglass and then steel belts. Then Radials. Not many remember that we didn't always run on radial ply tires. But just like my single master cylinder '64 Dodge, we lived in spite of those tires. The hot tire for '69 was the Goodyear fiberglass raised letter tire. They were standard on my '70 Dart 340 and I survived going a buck fifty on them... shake my head now. When my new '76 B-210 needed new rubber bands I bought radials. The difference was night and day.

In 1960 I equipped my 1955 Chevy Bel Aire 2 door sedan with a very [for that time] unique set of tires.  They were radials, steel belted, and designed for New York City taxi cabs.  Straight cut grooves and fine cross "sipes" tread cuts for traction on wet or crappy ground. Got them through a friend who was a cabbie.  Drove across the USA and shipped the car to Japan.  Drove on atrocious perhaps gravel roads all around the Kanto area for 3 years.  Finally sold it in Japan, all lookie loos thought i had four new tires on the car.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Link I found explaining the nitrogen thing.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Even after reading this and some other sites, the difference is only a matter of grams.  I could see where over a long period of time this could make a difference cost wise on the rolling mass of an 18 wheeler.  But on standard cars I do not seeing it making a significant difference.

I did note where a someone posted testing this out with a large truck tire, for a differential result of 4-5 lbs on the tire.  But again we are are talking large rolling mass vs your standard 15" car wheel.

It was an interesting subject to research.

Thanks for starting this topic.

• Like 1

The more I learn about tires today, the more I wonder just how I lived thru the shit I did on Bias-plies in the 70's

You didn't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Matrix