Progress on 85 720 4x4 (Merged threads)

la_leo

You need specifically the short tail transmission, which was used almost (or perhaps completely) exclusively in 720 4x4 trucks. All other versions longer and would require modifying your intermediate shaft out to the transfer case.

• Like 1
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need any short tail 5spd out of a 1984+ Nissan 4X4 or you can use a 1985/86 Nissan 720 regular cab/short box model transmission, they have short shafts also, but they have a speedo drive when the  4X4 ones don't.

You need to pull yours out and then tear it down(take the front and rear cases off), it might only be a loose nut and it won't cost you a thing to tighten that except your time.

• Like 1

I will make this my priority after January is over. Right NOW, this is my priority lol. But next year my 720 will be used for my hunting trips! We only hunt public lands, so the roads can get rough. Not wealthy enough to afford a lease! 20170104_095004_zps5jk0g0x2.jpg20161120_102816_zpsbvzkuuq4.jpg

• Like 1

Thought it was the Kyushu plant but I see now that NMM is also listed for some of the '84/'85 production. Does NMM mean anything?

If I were to need a new transmission, aren't there 3 different FS5W71B models?

All you need is the Z series bolt pattern and the correct length. I believe only the Z series came with the 26" 'shorty'. You don't exactly have to have a 4x4 five speed, a 2wd will work just as well but will have slightly different 1, 2, 3 gear spacing and a speedometer cable.

• Like 1

Thought it was the Kyushu plant but I see now that NMM is also listed for some of the '84/'85 production. Does NMM mean anything?

All you need is the Z series bolt pattern and the correct length. I believe only the Z series came with the 26" 'shorty'. You don't exactly have to have a 4x4 five speed, a 2wd will work just as well but will have slightly different 1, 2, 3 gear spacing and a speedometer cable.

I've been curious about this as well. My tag says that my '86 was made in Japan, but I was under the assumption that after 1983 that 720s were built in Smyrna, Tennessee to avoid chicken tax and what not. What's the deal? Was it simply assembled here, and parts made in Japan? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update. Today I got my power steering prrssure line on. Put the fan shroud back on. All that's left under the hood is taking off the alternator and have it rebuilt. In the next few weeks I'll address the interior and stuck clutch issue. Oh aND does anyone know if the tilt steering column can be adjusted? The little bar that you pull on to adjust the tilt is very weak. I can put it in place and I can still move the steering column up and down. Kinda dangerous.

• Like 1