d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Word..will paint them up. 

On another note is my throttle trundel dohickey supposed to look like this?  Spring keeps popping off cause it really doesn't have anywhere to grab to.  I thought about drilling a hole on that arm to hook the spring to.  

29723324087_4e9cc64417_c.jpg

• Like 1

Ok need some help here.

I got 3/4 of those stupid air injector bolts piece of shits.  The 4th one broke in half and no I don't know what to do with that one??  And it looks like someone messed with this before because that 4th one looked cross threaded.   Also I didn't have any long tubes inside the manifold just the end of the bolts.  

Can I cut that last one down and just cover it with JB weld high heat?  Or try drilling it out?  

30811969648_39a2a77dbf_c.jpg

30811969548_de3f26a6df_c.jpg

30811969958_bc5e28343b_c.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

I believe the long tubes are still there, you have to remove the exhaust manifold to get to them.

Heat is your friend, you need to get the exhaust manifold glowing orange around that last fitting, then hammer around the fitting distorting the hole the fitting is in then turn it out, you do the same thing with a broken off stud, you nave to get it very hot, I would not do that while the manifold is connected to the block.

• Like 1

lol figures.  In the end I tried an eazy out and it didn't work so I am just going to drill and tap it tomorrow.  Tubes are still on the back side of the manifold (disconnected from the head) and not sure how to remove the tubes?  or does it not matter?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

30811969958_bc5e28343b_c.jpg

These are brake lines. For some reason the original ones that reach almost to the exhaust valve, have been replaced.

NO! These are what mine looked like too. These aren’t brake lines. The tube nuts compress the bubble flare in the EGR tubing up against the cup of the tube that runs down into the manifold. You have to remove the manifold to get the tubes out.

DP, spray the tubes with PB Blaster and just hammer them out from the head-side of the manifold. They should just pop right out.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

Ai

6 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

NO! These are what mine looked like too. These aren’t brake lines. The tube nuts compress the bubble flare in the EGR tubing up against the cup of the tube that runs down into the manifold. You have to remove the manifold to get the tubes out.

DP, spray the tubes with PB Blaster and just hammer them out from the head-side of the manifold. They should just pop right out.

Nice a voice of reason.  3 out of 4 ain't bad I guess.  That last one is a bitch though, i told crash I had to hammer (and eventually sacrafice) a 12 point 12mm deep socket on the two middle ones to get them off.  Ill drill/tap and hammer those tubes out tomorrow.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

If you have the manifold disconnected from the head, might as well pull the whole thing at this point and put new studs in the downpipe flange. You’ve already gone through most of the effort...

Its off the head but still attached to the exhaust and the down pipe.   I am pretty sure I would have to pull the whole thing off to get those studs out. Which I might as well do.  How the exhaust attached?  Hangers towards the rear?  And what size are those studs? 

Edited by d.p

Some Nissan part numbers.

GasketNuts.JPG

The nuts in the top of the picture are a special stainless steel.  I have used these nuts on my Datsuns since the 1970's, and I also used these nuts on the exhaust pipes on a VW dune buggy I had years ago.  I have never had these nuts seize on the exhaust studs in either Datsun or VW air cooled engines.   I also reuse these nuts with no problems.

• Like 2

Replaced 2 of the 3  manifold to down pipe studs and it looks like I didn't do it right cause it leaks now. New gasket too.  Only leaks around one stud but don't have the energy or will power to pull it all apart again.  I have another manifold which I will probably just swap over.

Nothing every easy with these trucks.  

the only thing I can think is that I tapped it a bad angle so now the manifold won't sit flush on the down pipe flange.  Not sure I can re-tap it?  Those manifold to down pipe studs are a bitch to get started straight.  Its leaking on the driver side, in between the two bolts which leads me to believe they aren't mating flush? 

Edited by d.p
2 hours ago, d.p said:

the only thing I can think is that I tapped it a bad angle so now the manifold won't sit flush on the down pipe flange.  Not sure I can re-tap it?  Those manifold to down pipe studs are a bitch to get started straight.  Its leaking on the driver side, in between the two bolts which leads me to believe they aren't mating flush? 

If the down pipe slides onto the three  studs it's fine.

And, yes, make sure you are not running out of threads on any of the studs or it won't torque down.

• Like 1

Think my downpipe flange is warped or munged up.  No idea how it got that way though.  

I pulled the downpipe/flange and mated it up to my spare exhaust manifold and pushed compressed air through it and it still leaked in the same spot.  Crash mentioned filing the flange down side flat but I dont have a big enough file nor the confidence I wouldn't fuck it up even more.  

30845306218_8650775251_c.jpg