1980 4x4 bearing lock nut

Huntin720

I'm trying to do the brake pads and rotors on my 1980 4x4 and I cant get the bearing lock nut to budge. I have the right spindle nut socket, ive heated it up but is just wont move. Is there a trick? I bent back the tabs on the retainer so that isnt it.

Also I noticed that on the drivers side the axle moves freely independent of the hub assembly. But on the passenger side they spin together. Is that normal and I'm being a noob? Or is something else likely broken?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So even after I broke those nuts free it wouldn't come off. I popped the  ball joints off and took the whole knuckles to my mechanic. Turns out the 1980 4x4 is different. The hubs have to be pressed on and off of the knuckle because the hub actually extends back through the bearings. He wants a stupid amount of money for it.  So fuck it. I'm throwing some pads and ball joints on it and I'll just wear out pads faster.

Maybe someday I'll swap in knuckles from a later model. Maybe manual locking D20 knuckles will fit?