dimple on exterior cylinder wall?

speedmonkey

Came across an L18 block that wasn't being used any longer from someone who had a few spares. It's just the block with the original main caps which is great. All looks well except that I just noticed a few tiny dimples on the exterior wall of cylinder #1 behind the freeze plug. Seems like it might have been from when the plug was removed at some point. I cleaned it up slightly to get a better look at it.  Do you think this will be a problem? Should I have a machine shop drop a weld on it. Was planning on putting the block to use if I could and would just overbore the cylinders .004 (1mm) to 86mm. What do you guys think?

dimple1_zpsn74zao6j.jpg

dimple2_zpsvkffgadl.jpg

dimple3_zpscsyvmlsa.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Came across an L18 block that wasn't being used any longer from someone who had a few spares. It's just the block with the original main caps which is great. All looks well except that I just noticed a few tiny dimples on the exterior wall of cylinder #1 behind the freeze plug. Seems like it might have been from when the plug was removed at some point. I cleaned it up slightly to get a better look at it.  Do you think this will be a problem? Should I have a machine shop drop a weld on it. Was planning on putting the block to use if I could and would just overbore the cylinders .004 (1mm) to 86mm. What do you guys think?

dimple1_zpsn74zao6j.jpg

dimple2_zpsvkffgadl.jpg

dimple3_zpscsyvmlsa.jpg

Might want to check your math:  ".004 (1mm) "  is not correct, 1mm = ( 0.040")  0.03937008" if you are a nit picker.

Leave it, it's just a leftover defect from the casting process.  Welding on it will just risk cracking down the road.

The casting process for these blocks was fairly imprecise so there is a large amount of extra material sitting around.

• Like 1