4 Door 510 from Finland

Japrnoo

Hi guys.

I've been dreaming about an old Japanese car with carbs for a long time, last winter i had a chance to buy a 4 door hakosuka but lost it. So when this car came in for sale i had to get it.

It's a 1970 PL510 1600 Deluxe. It has (for now) the SSS dual SU carbs and leather seats from the SSS model (according to the guy who sold it).

22794897048_7ecec354dd_c.jpg

Drove to buy it with Tesla Model S, jumping 46 years back in automobile history was kinda funny.

I had plans ready for the car atleast a year before i even bought it. Only thing that has changed is the color of the car. I was planning about to paint it with the same silver used in Hakosukas but now i'm planning to paint it back to the original white.

I'm going to keep the L16 engine and fully rebuild it. It's going to get two weber 40dcoe, new intake ofc and all new exthaust (manifold and 2" pipe with one muffler)

also looking for 5 speed transmission. I'm huge fan of OS Giken but i'm not sure is it worth it to pay 500euros from the clutch kit when you can get the basic clutch kit for 50euros next door.

I've allready stripped all the interior off, just got the steering wheel and pedals there for now. I'm going to paint the the interior with oem white again and its going to have two red Bride Zeta III seats and safetydevices roll cage.Some race steering wheel with quick rack also, got two options for that. Time will show witch one i buy. New VDO speed,rpm,gas,oilpressure and heat meters are going in on the oem dash.

30973626825_dd2b3cfd83_c.jpg

The engine bay is going to be cleaned, i'm moving battery to the trunk, hide windshield washer somewhere and going to make the engine bay as clean ass possible.

(Previous owner told me that the upper waterpipe coming from the radiotor blew up last summer, thats why the engine bay is all red)

30672178460_22fd6ba142_c.jpg

From the trunk im going to cut the spare tire space off and weld a piece of straight metal on it. Theres also going be a safety tank. (Hopefully i can fit it to the original space)

30857131482_479a7300db_c.jpg

For the suspension the plans are to get coilovers for the front (local rallyshop sells Bilstein kits that can be modifyed to fit the 510) and shorter spring with adjustable height and bilstein shock for the rear. All the suspension parts are going to be sandblasted and powder coated again. Im going to buy superpro poly bush kit for it too. The coilovers will have camber adjustment so i'm not sure yet that will i need adjustable lower control arms, time will show that. For the brakes im going to get a willwood kit for the front and if i can find a adapter for willwood kit to rear i'm also going to put disc brakes on the rear. Time will show that too. Im going to get custom made wheels for this, also know which ones but that im going to keep a secret till they arrive. I'm planning to buy 14x7 for the front and 14x7,5 or 14x8 for the rear. Just gotta do some measurements to get the perfect ETs

Yeah, there's some of the plans. Im going to keep the body as original as possible. Looking for the original chrome bumpers, these ones are from some Toyota. Then i need tha oem fender mirrors and BRE front air dam. I'm working with this project every week at my carage and for the next weekend my girl is going to be out of town for four days so that means four long days at the carage, hopefully the engine,transmission and most of the suspension parts are out by then so i can start to weld those few rust spots that i've found. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

15 hours in the garage this weekend and got something done.

Got all the suspension parts out, engine and transmission too. All i have left is the steering axle, pedals and some brake lines. 

31138333525_8679f90f13_b.jpg

I'm very happy that the floor are in good condition. Saves a lot of time in rust work so i can paint the interior sooner and start to work on the interior.

30770339570_a6e520e200_b.jpg

This is the only bad spot in the interior.

30770324000_a30c753fab_b.jpg

And here's the source of power. I'm hoping to get something between 125-140hp out of it, does someone have knowledge what it might be with dual weber 40, and 2" exhaust?

30331248563_cfe9456682_b.jpg

Tips are allways welcome, thank you banzai510 for the link. I've been a fan of old Datsuns for a long time but this is my first Datsun project so much of the L engine stuff is new to me.

Also got something done in the garage. Build new shelf for the 510 parts, now got more space to storage those new parts that will start arriving soon. I was looking for red steering wheel for a while but new im pretty sure that it's going to be black Momo Protipo.

• Like 1

You want a Roadster 2000 clutch kit 200mm. with the 650KG pressure plate.  the stock 510 200mm is 350kg

car looked good as is I would have just lowered it but some nice wheels and start enjoying/driving  it

I might go with the OS Giken clutch & flywheel setup, but thanks for the info. Now I have a plan B too.

Forgot to take the camera to garage this weekend but there's not much to show, got rest of the parts out from the body so now its totally empty.

Next thing Im going to do is cut the spare tire holder off from the trunk and place a piece of straight metal there.Then I will drill the original battery holder and windshield

washer fluid tank holder off from the engine bay. I will put the battery to trunk or behind passenger seat. (Shorter wiring) for the windshield washer tank I still have no idea haha.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I've had a lot of work so -> not so much time at the garage -> not so much stuff done.

But here's a little update.

32204682820_05c11760b1_b.jpg

My friend bought these SSR wheels for hes Toyota Cressida project, so he test fitted how those would like in Datsun when its ready. Cool, but im still gonna go with the Work wheels.

First thing was that i fixed the rust spot under the rear seat, its not perfect but its fine for me. It's been four years since I welded last time.
32583580775_9b14da81d2_b.jpg

Now i have been fixing spots at the inner side of the rocker panel, seems like that's always the weak spot, at least in 3 my last projects those needed to be welded.
32461054411_a8120d050e_b.jpg
32204660700_496e37c917_b.jpg
32430762642_d7c3bf5a99_b.jpg

And for the last, found used intake for dual carbs for 120euros. I think that it's good price, if you compare it to that the local carb store is asking 320euros for the same intake.

31739899904_ffb48a63e8_b.jpg

That's it for now. Next time i post i hope that i got the inner rocker panel ready and the trunk too so i can start to sand the interior for painting.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

It's been a month since last post, i have been at the garage like once a week so not much happened with the car, again.. (really need to get more time to work with this car if im going to drive it on summer 2018..)

I have made some plans for the brakes, i think that this is the final recipe.

-OEM brake booster

-Volvo 240 mastercylinder

-Volvo 240 brake calipers (front and rear)

-HEL performance brake lines

-EBC yellowstuff pads

-256mm discs

+ Adapter to fit volvo mastercylinder to datsun brake booster.

Why Volvo calipers? Front calipers are 4 pot, rear 2 pot, you cant fit them into 14" wheel and they are chep + you can get them from the local parts store.

Also got a tip that there might be a coilover set for the 510 for sale, called the guy and he told me story that he had bought this set for his datsun 510 but it was so rusty that the project never got ready.

So the fronts are made from Toyota AE86 shocks + Nissan 200sx camber plates welded to 510 hubs. Rears are made from the various BC racing parts.

32974793242_6c069da963_z.jpg

And today i got some welding done finally. only one spot to fix inside the car left + i have to cut of the spare tire holder from the trunk.

32286080074_7f2f68437d_c.jpg

32315899433_db6558a3f3_c.jpg

Thanks for the comments, i try to post more often (and build the car more often!)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, dont have much time to spend with the Datsun because of work and other issues but i do my best to get it ready in time! (13 months to go)

Got something done today.

Drilled old tank holders away and welded the holes, also did some reinforcement welds on the rear shock towers.

33382150781_06f9f82277_b.jpg

Yeah i have cutted a huge hole in middle of the trunk floor, already have a new piece of metal ready for that. Just waiting for a payday (nextweek) so i can order

new tank and make new trunk floor fit just right for the new tank. It's going to be 40 liter polished aluminium safetytank from Turboworks.

Also little update for the brakes. I figured out that Volvo rear calipers don't have handbrake so had to find a new solution to rear so i bought:

-S13 rear calipers with EBC redstuff pads,S13 oem discs,S13 handbrake wires and S13 rear dustshields for 70euros.

All the stuff is almost new or like new so got great deal in there.

Im also going to buy S13 handbrake and delete the old handbrake from the dashboard.

33382140201_999173fbf4_b.jpg

Next up my friend is going to make me bolt on brackets for the calipers. Anyone has blueprints for the brackets that they could send to me? It would be easier to me (and the friend who makes the brackets) if i could get the blueprints from someone.

• Like 1

Nice build so far, love the 510's, I think my 521s was that same color originally.... so did you get the motor built yet?... are you still deciding?...

just curious on your hp hopes.... your hopes seem a little high for at the wheel numbers but possible for at the crank....

I saw one guy post 104 at the wheels which means approximately 130 at the crank....

I've build my motor a bit and I'm showing 90 at the wheels, 105 at the crank... and I haven't even tuned it... hoping for another 10hp when finished...

Here's a couple charts....

Screenshot_20170321-083902_zpsmbctycb3.p

Screenshot_20170321-083915_zpsmufuibjw.p

FYI I love that you wanna keep and mod the L16, we are a select few... I love matching numbers for some reason that's why I chose to build my L16 over a motor swap... I'm surprised someone hasn't told you to swap the motor yet... seems to be the trend. I will say getting all the extra power out of an l16 takes time and money but it is possible....

So do you not like SU carbs? I hear you can make good power with them.. just wondering... I have a single weber 40dcoe on my engine, really nice carb, but I never even held and SU, nevermind tuning one....

Anyhow you mentioned some sss stuff, what head is on the motor?... that's gonna be the biggest key to making power with the L16...

Pm if you'd like more details or for any extra info I learned while building my motor. Or I can respond here but I didnt wanna clutter your build post talking about my stuff....

Keep up the good work...

• Like 2

FYI I love that you wanna keep and mod the L16, we are a select few... I love matching numbers for some reason that's why I chose to build my L16 over a motor swap... I'm surprised someone hasn't told you to swap the motor yet... seems to be the trend. I will say getting all the extra power out of an l16 takes time and money but it is possible....

So do you not like SU carbs? I hear you can make good power with them.. just wondering... I have a single weber 40dcoe on my engine, really nice carb, but I never even held and SU, nevermind tuning one....

Anyhow you mentioned some sss stuff, what head is on the motor?... that's gonna be the biggest key to making power with the L16...

Pm if you'd like more details or for any extra info I learned while building my motor. Or I can respond here but I didnt wanna clutter your build post talking about my stuff....

Keep up the good work...

Hi!  

I have kept my focus on the body and the suspension for now because there is still lots to do with them but i will get to the engine finally when i get the bodywork done (summer).

My first love to old japanese cars started when i saw a hakosuka with triple webers on the internet and i was damn i gotta get something like that. All my friends have told me that "You should get ca18det or SR20DE" but for this car i really wanted to keep the L16 and see how much i can get out of it. This car is going to be a street legal historic trackday car so i dont need to get 200hp out of it because im only going to compete with myself.

I think that there's a stock L16 head on the car, only SSS mods that the car had we're the seats and dual SU's.

I met a Finnish Datsun enthuast who has like six 510's and he has rallycar with L18 and 175hp from crank, he told me that with the right mods you can get like 160hp from L16. 

At the moment my plans with the L16 are:

Complete rebuild, with new head, dual weber 40's, 2" stainless steel exthaust (manifold is going to be normal steel)

Definitely possible, sounds like you have the right guy to help you out. My only advise would be talk to him about your total engine build before buying things.. i made a couple mistakes which in the end where to my benefit for power but took a bit of time to clearance everything to make things fit....

Love the car and the progress, will be watching this forward ! :)

The hako you mentioned in first post, was it a red 4 door used as a work / company car ? Was watching it myself, and me and a friend were seriously thinking about taking the trip to finland to buy it.

If it's that one it ended up in trondheim in norway actually, member of "toygarage" that has it. Picked up some toyota parts with a friend, and got to see his hako

Love the car and the progress, will be watching this forward ! :)

The hako you mentioned in first post, was it a red 4 door used as a work / company car ? Was watching it myself, and me and a friend were seriously thinking about taking the trip to finland to buy it.

If it's that one it ended up in trondheim in norway actually, member of "toygarage" that has it. Picked up some toyota parts with a friend, and got to see his hako only one in norway as i've understood.

Seems like you've got some more of the models in Finland that are super rare and awesome here in Norway ?

Anyways, love the 510 and looking forward to see the result and the way there :)

Yeah we are talking about the same hako. I've heard that there was like 71 of those LHD hakosukas ever build and 47 of those we're sold in Finland. Most of them are in the yunkjard at the moment..

Thanks for the great comments! I'll be working in Sweden for the next week so nothing happens before i come back. I have made new floor to trunk and my new tank and inner doorhandles arrived.

I will post more about them when i come back!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got something done finally.

Hi all, I was working with the car allday yesterday and i was planned to get the trunk 100% ready for painting but things didn't go as fast and i expected.

I made some reinforcement plates between the trunk and rear seat, this was a first time for me so those pieces ain't perfect but good enough for a race car.

33298964234_20afe709c3_b.jpg

Also mentioned that i made the new trunk floor ready, I havent welded it on yet because its easier to work with then trunk when you can sit in the middle of it.

Here's how it gonna look like. That big square is the place for the tank. Im going to weld 3mm thick metal plates on the places where the tank bolts in.

33330239623_a0c5c76287_b.jpg

Rear brake upgrade is also getting forward, Im waiting for my friend to get back from his holiday so i can take those parts to him and he can make me

the carriers for the calipers, this is the last chance ! If someone have 3D blueprints for those carriers please help me out to save some money.

33298931534_4a86204cfb_b.jpg

So yeah slowly getting closer everyday.. Rollcage is arriving at July. I hope that the bottom, inside and engine bay are getting painted at august so i can get all the suspension and interior parts back to the car during fall and rebuild the engine at winter. All that takes a ton of money so i have to find the balance between working at the garage and at work hah.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Little update, for the last weeks i've been scraping the old undercoat away and now I have only the transmission tunnel to do. My three week vacation starts on Friday so then i finally have the time to make the trunk ready and sand the bottom of the car ready for paint. I have also been working a bit with my daily Audi S3. I use to have polished Rotiform NUE wheels on it but i sold those and bought BBS CH wheels for it. Those wheels are currently at the paint shop and they should be ready today. Gold wheels on blue car cant go wrong!

Hello.

Quick update, i'm almost done with the undercoat project.

34455838650_c6e8d813dc_c.jpg

Also i've been burning away the old rubber bushing from the suspension parts.

34802630656_6f63ba0656_c.jpg

Also the 40liter aluminium tank and new front door handles arrived, i still has to finish the undercoat project atleast from the trunk area before i can weld the new trunk floor in and fit the tank there.

34841965715_89fb0e3119_c.jpg

34455843110_2f4aae8839_c.jpg

• Like 1