R160 LSD Ebay Conversion Kit?

Grimlid

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these kits or heard anything about them. Ive been looking for a CLSD as I hear the VLSD is not really worth the troubles..... Not a lot of luck as most of the lsd I am finding are VLSD but the sellers dont seem to know the difference. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-510-R160-Limited-Slip-Differential-Conversion-Kit-/251634234795?hash=item3a9691b5ab:g:gyMAAOSwnDZT9CVj&vxp=mtr

Made in the USA but would it definately seems a bit good to be true......

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If something is too good to be true.... IT IS

This is NOT and LSD. What it does is force the side gears against the case by severe spring pressure and metal to metal contact. Does it work? Apparently drive force is transmitted but for how long can this be kept up? The side gears and thrust washers on the ends of the axles are not intended for this, and why removable and replaceable proper plates and clutches are used. This company was also called Phantom Grip in the past also. Every now and then the name changes and the gullible buy into this farce.

If you can't run away take a taxi but get away as fast as possible from them.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/6744-phantom-grip-2-way-lsd/

• Like 1

Ah, the old 'Jam-a-Block' farce.........

And they don't work for long, and destroy the trust surfaces on the diff gears.

I bring in the AP Racing SureTrac LSDs from Japan when I can find them.

They are excellent LSDs, and unlike the clutch style, they are not locked up until your wheels produce enough torque to break the friction of the plates, then hold less...

(Simple physics, sliding friction is alway less than stationary friction.)

This is why clutch pack LSDs are a bitch to drive in the rain.

The AP LSDs lock up more as one wheel tries to over run the other.

Suretrac.jpg

suretrac%20internal.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these kits or heard anything about them. Ive been looking for a CLSD as I hear the VLSD is not really worth the troubles..... Not a lot of luck as most of the lsd I am finding are VLSD but the sellers dont seem to know the difference. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-510-R160-Limited-Slip-Differential-Conversion-Kit-/251634234795?hash=item3a9691b5ab:g:gyMAAOSwnDZT9CVj&vxp=mtr

Made in the USA but would it definately seems a bit good to be true......

Heard lots about them. Basically, read what DM has posted as this sums them up as well as what I could.

Pooh, yuk, rubbish!

If you want a poor mans LSD, far better you break out the welder and build yourself a locked diff.

I ran a locked diff for years in a 510 rally car I had. Bitch of a thing for slow cornering on the tarmac but worked well enough on the dirt to make it worthwhile. Only othrt thing with a locked diff I found was the additional strain it placed on the halfshafts. Good quality universal joints and an agressive driving style through corners fixed this though.

RW's $1.50 worth. Do not, I repeat do not waste your money on the Egay rubbish!

Strictly speaking an LSD isn't really needed on a stock car. Not enough power made that one wheel spins uncontrollably. Maybe if you drive in snow/ice, but even then there are problems caused by the gripping of both wheels on curves or cross fall roads that you have to be on your toes for. Mud would be a good place for having LSD on any car. 

Put an sti diff in it. That seems to be the hot swap nowadays.

I love detroit lockers, open when your off throttle going into corners and locked when you have heavy throttle. Wish they would make it into jdm diffs. One of these will be making it into my 8.8 soon.

If something is too good to be true.... IT IS

This is NOT and LSD. What it does is force the side gears against the case by severe spring pressure and metal to metal contact. Does it work? Apparently drive force is transmitted but for how long can this be kept up? The side gears and thrust washers on the ends of the axles are not intended for this, and why removable and replaceable proper plates and clutches are used. This company was also called Phantom Grip in the past also. Every now and then the name changes and the gullible buy into this farce.

If you can't run away take a taxi but get away as fast as possible from them.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/6744-phantom-grip-2-way-lsd/

this is exactly what i have heard

• 2 months later...

The Subaru sti R180 LSD is great, but pricey considering they are 27 spline, not 25 like the 510. They require custom billet stub ends that run $500. When you consider the Quaife ATB for an r180 is $1200 though, the subi dif is a relative bargain. Anything under 130hp in a 510 you'd be better off spending money on great tires and sticking with an open fid.

• Like 1