Single Weber 40DCOE on L16?

510Goonies

Pretty much stole this off CL. Dude didn't really know what is was for but I recognized the intake manifold layout and knew it was for an L series four banger Datto so i went and grabbed it. It's a Weber 40 dcoe 149 5C with a lynx cross flow manifold. My question is anyone running one of these on an L16? Researched a little bit and seems like a love it or hate it type of deal but then again i don't know if a lynx crossflow as used or if that even matters in tune-ablity as it was supposed to help correct the leaning out of #1 and #4 cylinders. Still researching around for jetting numbers n such, so don't go to hard on me. Any pointers would be welcome. My L16 is stock with an A87 head and electronic ignition.

20161110_171812_zpsaeceh98s.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If one and four run lean(er) it can't be much. Certainly not on a stock engine. If one side draft is better, dual side drafts would be best.

Side drafts have less bends that a downdraft so slightly better performance from this. It isn't bend free like a dual side draft though. It is totally tune able much more so that a stock down draft.

It's a nice score! Probably sounds better too

• Like 1

1. My question is anyone running one of these on an L16?

2. Researched a little bit and seems like a love it or hate it type of deal but then again i don't know if a lynx crossflow as used or if that even matters in tune-ablity as it was supposed to help correct the leaning out of #1 and #4 cylinders.

3. Still researching around for jetting numbers n such, so don't go to hard on me. Any pointers would be welcome. 

Hi Goonies

Search up the Ratsun site...

1. Here are a few Ratsun-ers running single side-draft DCOEs. Mostly I see the 45DCOE in a single setup,but not always.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14764-sidedraft-weber-40-dcoe-help/

Hooligan did a Lynx on a 45DCOE 

engine_zps761fb433.jpg

2. YMMV... Some report success using the single DCOE, some report just the opposite. I think it depends on alot of things; quality of the carb (good or not), motor state (good or not), frustration level (good or not)... you get the picture. :)

3. At the top of this forum (Engine) there is some Weber info.  Specifically this page that shows a 40DCOE on a 610. Bigger engine yes, but it lists a 40DCOE on a single manifold... It looks like you have some more research to do.

WCp169%20Conv%20Kits_zpshkq3exzu.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I am planning the same carb set up. New 40 dcoe set by weber on a lynx intake.

20150811_183258_zpssirvt4zx.jpg

This is going on an l16 bored to 84mm with a W53 peanut head... hoping to get it running by the end of the year.

Here's some things to think about.

weber side draft don't have a port for the vacuum advance. I have one drilled hole but i dont think its correct for vacumn advance so you'll have to adjust your timing to suit.. Screenshot_2016-11-30-10-20-56_zpsgbfoo0

Next you may wanna think about your pcv system the lynx intake does not have a pcv port. I have breather filters on the valve cover and crank vent tube for now.. maybe that one port was for a pcv but I think I'd rather tap both runners to get equal vacumn to the pcv.

Last check the diameter of the intake runner on the head... make sure the head isn't smaller or you may wanna smooth out the transition. The reason I went with the lynx intake was my head was the same diameter

The main reason I don't like a single sidedraft is because of the lack of a plenum. A tuned 32/36 on a modified stock intake will make the same amount of power as a single sidedraft and usually better low to mid torque. The torque comes from the plenum.

Lack of a plenum on a Lynx manifold is going to make using a PCV virtually impossible. If you drilled and tapped into one side of the manifold, the idle would be off as a PCV is essentially a controlled vacuum leak.

If I were forced to run the Lynx manifold, I would make some kind of a balance tube that ties the two runners together. Hooking a PCV to that balance tube would be the next logical step.

Vacuum advance can be ditched in favor of a modified mechanical advance curve. If you're not familiar with adjusting the mechanical advance, you should send it out to someone who is and have them re-curve it. Rebello Racing will do this for very little money.

I run a single 48 on my L20b and she's very torquie and responsive on the throttle, you need to have it tuned properly and jetted correctly, its not rocket science to tune it but it also isn't easy if you don't have the knowledge with this setup, look for hairline fracture/cracks on the back of your carb and both ends of the many, that would cause the lien effect on pairing cylinders also.