A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

I guess I need to look at what I used... whatever I did use was used very sparingly... and yes I made sure there were not tight bends... 

Might just buy a new one and see how long this one lasts.... the outer case was questionable.... 

Its been a while, since I bought a speedo cable, but last I did I just got it from NAPA for a pretty reasonable price.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Side note for you two-- on MA inspections have either of you gone through since the new cameras? I need to get the car up here so I can have someone look at it and tell me what wont pass... worried about the small holes at the corner of the trunk... and other random holes since the interior is gutted. 

I just got my sticker in may.... they didn't check a damn thing... and he even mentioned the new camera system.... 

So I'm probably not the one to ask.... 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, demo243 said:

Also been working with @B^2 to get his 510 up and running.

If you guys need some help let me know, I'd love to poke around with a 510. I can usually escape on a sunday... but if my son hears the datsun fire up I instantly have a 6 year old passenger wondering where we are going... so If either of you have kids to keep him occupied while we work i can come around on a  Saturday or Sunday for sure...

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

If you guys need some help let me know, I'd love to poke around with a 510. I can usually escape on a sunday... but if my son hears the datsun fire up I instantly have a 6 year old passenger wondering where we are going... so If either of you have kids to keep him occupied while we work i can come around on a  Saturday or Sunday for sure...

I think were both pretty tied up the next few weekends... but yea we should definitely get together. 

Always happy to lend a hand wrenching too if you need it.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, demo243 said:

I think were both pretty tied up the next few weekends... but yea we should definitely get together. 

Always happy to lend a hand wrenching too if you need it.

Whenever you have time or need the help let me know...

Thanks for the offer too.. I'm at the point I'm just doing little things to keep driving ... after spending the last 4 plus years working on it I have very little desire to work on it lately, I got a burst of desire about a week ago and knocked out a bunch of little things... just been enjoying driving it.... I'll get some other things done this winter, mainly

Rear axle seals and 5 spd swap... I assume those will take a moment to do... I'd rather not do that while the weather is good enough to still drive the truck.... I plan on trying to drive it till the first snow or the temp gets really cold....

• Like 2

So I had a choice..... 

Not drive the datsun till I get the time to Drain the oil, remove and reseal the oil pan and put new oil in.... or just change the oil and drive it....

Well I have to much going on getting ready for an atv trip with the family next week and decided just change the oil and drive it.. the leak is minor so I'm just gonna add it to the list of things to deal with this winter... 

I was happy to see nothing shiny in the oil and filter..... there was a tiny bit of sludgy something on the drain plug magnet which I assume is normal after breaking in a motor, but that was it.... 

Gonna focus on a few cosmetic things, mostly in the engine bay for the Japanese car days show coming up...

• Like 1

Just got back from a local car cruise at the ice cream shop, nothing to much going on... got rained on twice going there but it stayed clear once we got there..... 

Oddly enough I was happy to actually have to use the wipers and not get wet inside..... 

However the damn driver window regulator broke, no pics still stuck in the door, but  basically the pivot fell apart.... apparently I did a poor job fixing it before.... 

Originally my driver regulator gear was stripped.... the arm was good and all I could find to buy was a passenger side. The arms are different but where the crank handle goes its the same just flipped...

anyhow I swapped the arms welded a washer over the end of the pivot pin  to reattach the arm. My theory was right it worked properly but my weld failed...

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie I'll let you know.... gonna give it one more attempt to fix..... 

I just didn't have the welder set right, it held the washer but I didn't get good penetration to the pivot pin.... 

I'm thinking I could also drill and tap a hole in the center and hold it together with a bolt..... 

I have fun fixing things like this.... I just dont always succeed the first time....

• Like 1

Not fixing things "right" the first or second time is a learning experience.

My posts may look I know what I am doing, but trust me, you are seeing the second or third or tenth time I redo something, in many cases.

I also have extra 521 door window regulators, if Charlie does not have what you need.

• Like 1

I got time to repair my window regulator today.... I decided to try to use a bolt and washer this time....  

First I drilled and taped an m6 hole into the pivot pin.....

20180826_101852.jpg

20180826_102415.jpg

Worked out good.... the pin wash flush with the arm so once assembled it was nice and tight, and still worked,  nothing bounded up....

20180826_102642.jpg

20180826_102904.jpg

Ground the threads down flush and then welded the bolt on to the back.... now all the weld needs to do is hold the screw from rotating out.....

20180826_103602.jpg

Installed back in the truck, problem solved.....

• Like 2

Took the family out for dinner and ice cream at a local car cruise .... 

In order to get me my wife and kid in the truck is a tight squeeze. Good thing hes only 6.. i had installed a racing harness in the center and was able to use his car seat to keep the shoulder straps properly orientated.... hes nice and tight and secure..... 

20180907_173637.jpg

When we got there and they parked me in between a vette and a dodge.... I felt a little small, I think I could fit my datsun inside that dodge..... 

20180907_183303.jpg

Then the vette left and in rolled a 79 b210.... got him parked next to me....

20180907_192048.jpg

All original Florida car, ac car too... apparently the plan is SR20 swap and bagged....

20180907_192054.jpg

Good connection was made, the guy I was talking to owns a body shop and said everyone wants a datsun now.... 

He has a friend who drives around to different states to find them.... has like 6 or 8.... 620, 720, 210s and some 510s.... 

Not sure what else, but I'll keep in touch with him..... 

My wife really liked the 210 so I'll have to convince her she needs one since eventually we wont all fit in the truck... would be nice to take 2 vehicles and everyone to the shows.....

• Like 1

I was surprised how much attention the truck received.... it got its picture taken a bunch of times when I wasnt around, my wife said she kept seeing people taken videos and pics.... even as we were leaving some kid rushed to the street to video us leaving.... this was the first car show the wife really went to and I was surprised how much fun she said she had...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I was surprised how much attention the truck received.... it got its picture taken a bunch of times when I wasnt around, my wife said she kept seeing people taken videos and pics.... even as we were leaving some kid rushed to the street to video us leaving.... this was the first car show the wife really went to and I was surprised how much fun she said she had...

They're always a lot more fun when you receive that kind of attention. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

B-310 or simply 210 but not B-210

I honestly dont know much about those or the 510 modela vs numbers...  I get all those confused.... I was going by what the driver said or I may have heard wrong..

So are you saying b310 because I said 79?

I looked up the b310 and that's not what it looked like, it looks like the 73-77 b210.. 

• Like 1

20180907_192054.jpg

Feb '78 (just over half way into the '79 model year) was the first 210 (B-310) Stamped into the cowl behind and above the valve cover it will say something like....  KHL B310 RSFV

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a B-210 (July '73- '78) and looks nothing like the later 210 (B-310)

• Like 1