A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And those are factory tie rods... center cross rod has the adjustments.. these are fixed left and right hand...

20161206_193357_zpsgrv8k8k1.jpg

The pic actually shows two driver side tie rods.... wrong part packaged in the correct box.... got lucky with a warranty exchange bought almost 3 years ago... never opened.. problem solved..

• Like 2

What about the gear shift. .. ?

Let's all understand this is an L16 in a 521.. it's exactly where it's supposed to be... this is a view from the back perfectly gap all around to the crossmember...

20161212_230029_zpsoexnty5e.jpg

My transmission is level and everything is in line in the frame.. so what's the problem .. I don't know what everyone thinks they see....

• Like 1

Hi Ratsun folks..

So why do these Datsun motors appear to lean towards the passenger side?....kinda reminds me of the 1960's "Slant Six" that Mopar built so many of back in the day...

Just wondering out loud...

MikeC

They are leaning, as Daniel said to clearance the intake/exhaust manifolds, and the Z block which is nothing but a larger L block in the 720 trucks is leaning to the driver side to clearance that huge intake manifold they have on the passenger side.

A lot of members on here use the Z22 block/engine to make a larger engine for are Datsuns, as there is no substitute for displacement, we put an L block head on the Z block engine, put the timing chain cover from an L20b on it, and we put all the L16 mount hardware on it, use the appropriate oil pan(truck/car?), and now we have a larger engine/more power, there is a little more too it, but that is basically what we do.

• Like 1

What about the gear shift. .. ?

Let's all understand this is an L16 in a 521.. it's exactly where it's supposed to be... this is a view from the back perfectly gap all around to the crossmember...

20161212_230029_zpsoexnty5e.jpg

My transmission is level and everything is in line in the frame.. so what's the problem .. I don't know what everyone thinks they see....

That looks exactly like it should to me, I wouldn't worry about anything anyone's said, pictures can be deceiving.

• Like 2

Nothing much to speak of... working on some of final pieces to fire the motor.

Radiator and alternator are going in... working on power and the fuel next.. Got a little slowed down. We got hit with snow this weekend. Got all the way down to 1 degree the other morning. In my garage it was about 30 takes a bit longer to get the temp up from there to work.... hopefully some more pics soon and if I am luck I will have video of the motor firing in about 2 or 3 weeks....

• Like 2

Why the spacers?

Just rubber grommets and new nuts and bolts here . There were just holes where my radiator mounts. I got a 3 row radiator for a manual transmission. A bit thicker than stock. Tight fit on the fans. My plan is to rewire everything as hidden as I can. I have some stuff to heat shield the fuel line and some wiring if needed..

• Like 1

everybody uses spacers on the Chinese 3 core rads. It will smash the wires that are behind it in the core support. Stock rads the surface hole mount is offset so the rad is not up against the core support. Why they didnt do this I dont know. My Rods (NOT SO ) Discount 3 rad recores are exact as stock and fit well.

My Rad had a cunt hair leak so I put Prestone Rad seal in it. I didnt want to do this put it seemed to work( I only put in a 1/4 of the bottle)

• Like 1