A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

On the same day I was trying to removed the rims from my trailer, tires are junk,  and I'll be dragging it 3 hours north to go atv riding with the family...

So I decided new rims and tires would be worth it.... well I couldn't get the studs to break free, it kept trying to roll the trailer froward.... so I figure I'll fire up the compressor and get the impact gun out.... well they started to move then stopped... I was thinking rust so maybe if i tighten and loosen a few times I'll get it.... well when I went to tightened the stud out it comes.... oh... LEFT handed threads...

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

So a little while ago the oil pressure gauge I installed failed.... I broke the terminal on the sender and that made the gauge extremely unhappy. ( still have the factory idiot light)

The oil and the volt gauge were both white analog faces, while the rpm and air/fuel had blacked out faces.... so I decided to get a digital oil and volt gauge to match.... 

Well as I'm putting the gauges together I noticed something.... so I powered up the gauges and saw this.....

20180803_181319.jpg

Are you kidding me.... 

What brand of gauges are you buying?

22 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

This is what Mike is talking about.  Tdaaj might have these if you are missing them.

L_Motor_Break_Down_Oil_Pan_Reinforcement

I've seen those before.... probably easy enough to make too....

I'm opting for this method....

Screenshot_20180805-093909_Amazon.jpg

I think I got the idea from stroffgren, but I'll only say that if it works..... the write ups and reviews seem promising....

I'll either make a huge mess or seal it up...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Clearly cheap Ebay crap.... the worse part is I didn't even need a voltage gauge... only bought for the look....

Also Amazon. Flimsy and easily broken but cheap and they work. I have an oil pressure one but maybe the +12 source should be changed... When I turn on the headlights the oil pressure drops from 65 down to 43. Oil temp seems unaffected from the same source?????

• Like 1

I  tried a thicker wire to the sender... no change. Must be sensitive to the power connection. Both headlights are on separate relays with their own fusible links that I made myself. It's an HID setup so 40 watt X 2. I don't get it. I should try this and turn on the heater and see...

• Like 1

Well regardless of gauge quality, I got my gauge pod reassembled and mounted back on the dash... 

20180805_155208.jpg

Since I had to run a new wire to the oil pressure sending unit.. (this one had a ground and signal wire) I used the old wire to hook up my reverse indicator..

20180805_155254.jpg

I also finally wired these 2 blue LEDs to the fuel pump and fans... this just tells me they are on.... both are controlled by a sending unit.....

20180805_155308.jpg

For some reason I had the house to myself for a few hours so I kept at it....

Removed the gauge cluster and speedometer cable... I had forgotten a gasket between the glass and the metal frame, found it cleaning up the other week so I finally got that all fixed... i figured I would clean and grease up the speedometer cable while I was there....

And last I finally hooked up the defroster vents and tubes, need that for the mornings lately..... 

Door windows will be handy too, I have everything ready to go back in, hopefully this week.... 

• Like 1

Got the driveside done today.... ran out of time, still needs a slight adjustment... but I think the glass setting tape was getting in the way... I didn't trim the ends when I assembled them.. hard to see, but I was able to peal the ends back a little and remove the excess so it wasnt getting stuck in the felt track.... I'll probably check the passenger side too.... 

Still need to do the door seals to make things water tight, but atleast now I can drive it when there is a chance of rain... and when the morning gets cool again It will be much warmer....  

• Like 1

Got this delivered today, and offset ratio adapter for the speedometer....

20180809_170223.jpg

Of course when I went to buy it the damn price went up.... basically $145 +15 shipping... really wish I had time to go for a ride, but that will have to wait till tomorrow  ...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

It's mostly driving around leominster and trips to worcester for work, so far..Well if no other way you should try to make it to this.... I think mainer311 will be there too, he has a 521 and a roadster... dont know which he will take, he brought the 521 last year.... 

Screenshot_20180808-081513_Chrome.jpg

And your more than welcome to come by on a Sunday and check it out and drive it if you want. I'll get some burgers and beers ready if you like... any ratsun member that is close would always be welcome at my house.... 

Maybe we could even get a meet going some where.... see who else might wanna show up and find a central point for us all to meet....

• Like 2

Well it's been either hot and humid or raining for the last 2 weeks... been missing driving the truck.... it was a nice cool morning and should be ok going home later, so I took the datsun to work... it's nice to have windows in the door... 

With the ratio adapter installed the odometer seems to be tracking accurately, and cleaning and  greasing the speedometer cable seemed to get rid of the needle bounce I was seeing at lower speeds.... I may have to try and calibrate the speedometer if possible, that seems still a little off, shows me going a couple mph faster than the GPS... the ratio adapter did get it closer, but its correction are more about the odometer reading.... 

Next up is its first oil change, which needs to happen soon ... I'm at the limits of leaving the break in oil in the engine... 

Hopefully this time around I can seal the oil pan... only other good thing about having to remove the oil pan is I can give a good visual inspection of the bottom end of the motor.... 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, demo243 said:

Subb'ed hoping to bump into this truck at some point now that I'm in MA.

Demo, come to Japanese car day! I’ll be there with the truck again. It’s usually a nice cool day in October.

A few years ago I brought the roadster and it was 30 degrees out that morning. My wife and I were bundled up so much we looked like eskimos. By the afternoon it was 70 out.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

It's mostly driving around leominster and trips to worcester for work, so far..Well if no other way you should try to make it to this.... I think mainer311 will be there too, he has a 521 and a roadster... dont know which he will take, he brought the 521 last year.... 

Screenshot_20180808-081513_Chrome.jpg

And your more than welcome to come by on a Sunday and check it out and drive it if you want. I'll get some burgers and beers ready if you like... any ratsun member that is close would always be welcome at my house.... 

Maybe we could even get a meet going some where.... see who else might wanna show up and find a central point for us all to meet....

1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Demo, come to Japanese car day! I’ll be there with the truck again. It’s usually a nice cool day in October.

A few years ago I brought the roadster and it was 30 degrees out that morning. My wife and I were bundled up so much we looked like eskimos. By the afternoon it was 70 out.

Planning on making that one! My car is still down in CT at the moment since I dont have a garage to keep in here yet... but the plan is to bring it up for that weekend.

Also been working with @B^2 to get his 510 up and running.

Side note for you two-- on MA inspections have either of you gone through since the new cameras? I need to get the car up here so I can have someone look at it and tell me what wont pass... worried about the small holes at the corner of the trunk... and other random holes since the interior is gutted. 

• Like 1

Hopefully you used a speedometer lube like graphite powder or anything with molybdenum di-sulphide in it. 'Grease' is too thick and ten times worse when it gets cold.  Try for loopy curves and no bends or kinks. If the outer sheath is damaged replace or electrical tape it up well. If water gets in it will rust and next winter it will freeze and snap the cable. (ask me how I know)

52 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Side note for you two-- on MA inspections have either of you gone through since the new cameras? I need to get the car up here so I can have someone look at it and tell me what wont pass... worried about the small holes at the corner of the trunk... and other random holes since the interior is gutted. 

My roadster just passed a couple weeks ago and it has holes in the rockers. I think it depends on where you go. 

There's a "place" that I take my old cars to, and a place that I take my worry free newer cars to...if you catch my drift.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Hopefully you used a speedometer lube like graphite powder or anything with molybdenum di-sulphide in it. 'Grease' is too thick and ten times worse when it gets cold.  Try for loopy curves and no bends or kinks. If the outer sheath is damaged replace or electrical tape it up well. If water gets in it will rust and next winter it will freeze and snap the cable. (ask me how I know)

I guess I need to look at what I used... whatever I did use was used very sparingly... and yes I made sure there were not tight bends... 

Might just buy a new one and see how long this one lasts.... the outer case was questionable....