A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It takes the same vacuum line from the carb... just like a normal vacuum advance on any dizzy.. I was actually gonna add a vacuum line and see what it tells me....

I have a single sidedraft so right now I don't have a vacuum hooked up..

The dizzy is digital and programmable so for now I have anything related to vacuum turned off... it's set up with just mechanical advance... I think I have it set to 14 initial - 34 total.

Temp I believe is read through the dizzy body itself. So not really sure the accuracy of that vs coolant temp..

the Bluetooth is integrated into the dizzy it's not separate so no ports...

• Like 1

Well didnt even wanna admit this to myself or anyone....

so I was putting the engine bay vin tag back in at the same time I was putting new spark plugs in and realized the damn engine number doesn't match.... WTF....

Even now I am walking back to make sure I am an idiot. Yup i am. I have no idea what number I thought I saw when I first started this project. Oh well....

Why couldn't someone have swapped an l18 or l20 in there for me.... nope still the l16.. lucky for me i still love the motor i built...

So on to the fun stuff....

20171025_170203.jpg

Got me a ratsun sticker too..

And a "build not bought" plate..

20171025_160555.jpg

1636 is the extra displacement

The date is the day I started the motor for the first time...

And RNH Garage is my family's initials...

Remy. Neil. Heather.

RNH is also an anagram for "Raise N Hell"

Which I thought was cool....

• Like 2

Well getting closer fixing the doors ... I still hate body work but has to get done.....

As I've probably said before can't really use the compressor and listen for and watch my kid so in between i've been making some little parts....

Made a small bracket to hold the brake tee.. nothing special but functional..

Screenshot_20171030-101115.png

And now no more brake line leaks ....

Still need to rebleed....

And then I made this to cover then opening at the windshield wiper motor...

20171029_143458.jpg

20171029_143434.jpg

Just a piece of rubber...

20171029_143450.jpg

And installed....

20171029_150854.jpg

Does the job... incase your wondering why the slot on the plate vs just a hole... just made it easier to install around the wiper arm from the motor....

• Like 1

Since it is rubber you could have just drilled the hole and made one cut to the hole, then just spread it apart to get it past the shaft.

I have a perfect rubber piece that goes in there, and it likely could be sent to Clauss Studios to make replica pieces, but only a very few would ever buy them, so it doesn't seem like it is worth the effort to even see if he would be interested in making them.

Wayno .... I wish pieces like that were available.... even less available in my area....

And the rubber wasnt the issue.. the piece I cut the slot in was actually metal... I used the metal piece to keep the rubber flat and in place.. but i couldn't get it in place because of the contours of the firewall.....

• Like 1

I was wondering, but my eyes are not what they used to be, you said rubber so I assumed all the photos were of the rubber piece even if it didn't look like rubber to me.

You know that the arm comes off the wiper motor fairly easy, you just have to make sure to put it back in the same spot.

Clauss Studios specializes in rubber parts, but you are maybe the second person in several years that has even mentioned this piece.

• Like 1

Well i got bothered by a friend today to help make some mounting brackets to mount a brushguard on his truck....

This was the same friend who tormented me about not having a proper bed for my datsun.... so since I was able to find a bed last year and he was over we figured why not see how it fits....

20171104_151918.jpg

20171104_152514.jpg

Looks good.... I think i need to raise the front a little bit now about an inch.

i already did 2" blocks in the rear but the front is about 24" to the bottom of the fenders And the rear is 27".. I still want the front to be lower than the rear but not that much... also the way I mounted my gas tank to the frame not the bed became an issue ... one of the reinforment ribs under the bed was sitting on the gas tank.... I'll need to deal with that and the filer neck now....

Eventually I'll strip it and repaint it but that will be after it's on the road again....

Also figured out all the wires for brake blinkers reverse and parking lights are working.... and my old gas tank sending unit actually still works too....

I think that's it...

oh ya I need to re arrange my garage now.... I have these foolish doors that swing in not out, now the datsun is a little longer with the bed and getting the doors closed almost became an issue...

• Like 1

See if you can find a set of Datsun/Nissan 720 4X4 leafs, they are the best way to lower the rear, you get around a 1 1/2 inch drop plus they are firmer so you don't bottom out as easy, and that is what you want.

I hope you are short, as those bucket seats will work for a short person, but I am 6' and that would be very cramped leg wise for me.

• Like 1

Thanks Wayno for that info... I need to adjust what I have for the moment .. again once I'm on the road I can look at other mods like a spring swap or even 4 linking the rear... I still need to build my 5 spd...

My goal is to get on the road first... then I a can deal with the little things....

And Wayno you'd be surprised how well those seats fit... I'm 6 foot also.. there is plenty of head room and leg room...

• Like 1

Maybe you have short legs.

I got real tired of it and gave up and made my 1969 Datsun 521 and later my 1966 Datsun 520 into kingcabs, the work truck is the only one that is still a regular cab, but I only go to and from work in that truck(work truck), and it has a very thin back rest/springy seat base, I can actually straighten my legs(one at a time) if I get my butt back and my foot up high on/near the firewall, or scoot sideways so I am at an angle and to the side of the steering wheel.

You know the 521 actually sat very high stock off the show room floor, but on this forum everyone is into lowering their trucks, not really low, about half way between stock and really low, about where the air between the top of the fender and the tire is almost gone like your front tires, but you still have around 4 inches of air over that back tire. :lol:

• Like 1

You guys will luv this....

When I bought this bed it had a plastic bed liner that didn't really fit right so I wasn't about to keep it... needless to say under that was this...

20171104_194632.jpg

Incase your wondering those are handful wads of bondo all over.....

Of course the pieces just pop off which will make it easy to remove it all....

I popped off a piece of Bondo to find the tiniest pin hole ...

20171104_195203.jpg

The beige piece you see is the Bondo piece i chipped off... and you can see the size of the hole.... quality repair there..

• Like 1