A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ummm.... maybe.... i felt small compared to some ive been seeing off the tailgate.

It kind of goes back to the whole build vibe of the truck ...

I actually had a 93 pathfinder... I cracked the frame and then where it was parked some one decided to new york strip it.... the only think left was that damn wing..

I also had a 2001 suzuki had an accident with the bike still rideable but the mounts for the Mirrors was destroyed, so I kept the stock mirrors and rigged something to work.. as my friends test driving it he is hit by a drunk on the cali 5 highway.. he was fine bike was done...

So yes I have a 93 pathfinder wing on my 1972 datsun 521 with suzuki katana mirrors going on the door....

This truck Will be unique when done....

• Like 1

Also There is a spot for a 3rd breaklight....

Just need to find a light to fit there. I've seen some that even do turn signals and brake... so the taller cars can see.

Not sure we can be friends anymore  :(.  

I had a 96 pathfinder SE and my brother had a 91 SE when they first came out.  They were the shit back then except for the tendency to break manifold bolts off in the head.  

• Like 1

Well i am not so lucky to have a junkyard or parts truck around.... so I had some fun fabricating....

Putting the door hinges together one part I am missing is the clip or spring that holds the door open....

I had only one..... so I'll keep the original and I made 2 more.....

Currently i am cooking them in my grill and quenching them in water to strengthen them.... so far so good.... they seem to fit and work on the hinge...

20171013_130623.jpg

That's the one original I have... and the 2 pieces of metal I cut to make 2 new ones.

End result....

20171014_143540.jpg

• Like 2

Ya the door stop is built into the hinge... These tend to break. I'll bet if you took your door hinge apart where they attach you would find the flat piece in there broken off... that's why I'm keeping the original as a patern....

They click in place with the hinge in my hand I am curious if they will hold the door open like they should ....

• Like 1

They are home made so Who knows.... only time will tell.... I've only seen one pair of oem one for sale ever on ebay.... I'm sure people with parts trucks have them but the way they break I doubt any one would give up their extras.

As far as making more ... maybe if your lucky when I have some time I can bend up a couple more...

• Like 1

No .. didn't even know that spring steel is a thing... maybe I'll look into that and make 2 more for dp and see who's don't break ..

This was a First attempt i was curious if I could bend it the way I needed....

It's basically some metal I had in my garage that was the same thickness.... I was hoping the heating and quenching would do something to strengthen it but I was really just guessing at what would be best to do... I figured if it broke I'd try something else....

• Like 2

The original pieces are likely made out of spring steel, that way when the door gets closed instead of bending the metal out of the way the spring steel flexes out of the way but returns to the original shape when the door is opened again to hold it open.

Regular steel will either just bend out of the way and stay there when you open the door, or it will fold/squash it to a new shape out of the way, either way it will not do what it is supposed to do.

• Like 2

Yeah neil so when you make mine use spring steel ok?

In all seriousness I admire how much work you put into this thing, I don't have the patience to do all that.

I'll see what I can do, i need to look into if it bends easy and if I need to heat treat it too.... maybe Santa will be nice to you....

• Like 1

Ya that's close, and a good though buying a piece like that, then I just need to trim to length....

Actual measurements were

1 1/8 width

About .065 thick.. ( I think 14 gauge)

And a piece about 5 1/2 long....

I'm gonna test the 2 I made when I test fit my doors before I paint the doors and the fenders.

First I need to see if they function like they are suppose to, more proof of concept then anything....

Then I'll deal with strength and/or using different material.....

• Like 2

Well doors are coming along.... all the holes are welded.... just need to grind smooth and get the last bit of paint off...

In between working on that I found a leak on my front brake tee.... closer inspection revealed it was cracked on 2 ports....

20171023_173643.jpg

Replaced with a steel one.... no leaks...

20171023_173634.jpg

Just need to make a small bracket to mount it....

• Like 2