A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya... he had the good life... i extended his life by 12 years, he was on his way to a bad shelter when I got him....

He would chase me down the road and climb in through the rear window if I left him behind.... he even would ride with me on my gsxr sport bike, he had his own goggles called doggles for his eyes and a special harness so I could hold on to him...

• Like 1

So driver seat fit good... just under the rear window where I wanted it...

20170711_180407.jpg

They will eventually be reupolstered, but for now they will work... actually comfortable to reach the pedals and my knees aren't up in my chest....

Still need to clean up and brace the brackets but I have the dimensions I need to finish both sides....

• Like 2

The stock bench seat is the best option for the 520/521, it has a thin back yet is still comfortable, I have seen no other seat bucket or bench that does the job better in a stock cab for a 6' person, now if one is short(under 5'6'??) maybe a bucket seat would be more comfy.

The lower the seat is, the less leg room you have, but if you tilt the seat back by adding spacers under the front, you get more leg room, but your upper legs/knees are more bent/closer to your chest, tall people will always be cramped in the 520/521 unless you make more room, or buy a 620 kingcab, there is only so much room in a 520/521. 

• Like 1

Flatcat I got them from a 96 - 98 Chevy 1500.... they were on what looked to be factory brackets but I don't think they were stock seats. It was the only one that had them. i had told a friend I wanted some low back buckets and he just happened to go to a local pick and pull and said he just saw them, paid 60 for the pair.. seemed good..

And Wayno I can agree with everything you said... i wish I kept the stock bench, when i first got my datsun the bench was so disgusting I pulled it out, I should have at least kept the frame .. I'm 6" tall and the old buckets I had were an awful fit. These actually gave me excellent ergonomics for the driver position.... no reaching not cramped just right.. got lucky.... you never know till you get and fit things....

I am hoping when I go to reupolster them i can extent the frames alittle and create a split bench so my wife and son can both fit....

• Like 1

Is that the outside fabric or the inside.... i think your talking about whats inside.... either way if your looking to do yourself maybe add a thin piece of foam over the inner padding for added comfort and then reinstall the outside. ... if your trying to redo the outside that requires a bit more skill.. I'd go see an upolstry shop and see what they say.... they should have foam Nx fabric available too...

• Like 1

That's actually easy to do.... there are a bunch of metal rings that holds the cover on.... you'll need hog ring pliers and new hog rings, just easier than reusing the old.... pull the cover get some thin foam, secure with glue or something then reinstall the cover..... didn't once one my old pathfinder.... wasn't bad....

• Like 1

Got the passenger side brackets cut down... brackets dont sit perfect in all 4 corners.. i have a little wiggle, I guess my floors aren't perfectly level....

Oh well nothing a washer welded under one corner can't fix.... hopefully I can finish them this weekend...

need to finish weld and paint the brackets then drill the floor to mount and should be good...

20170714_165138.jpg

• Like 1

Trying to make some forward progress before I get back to having to paint again....

If I get the seats done this weekend I can move on to getting the brakes finished up and working...

Not exactly what I was hoping for by August but if I can take it around the block I'll be happy....

• Like 1

Atleast i got the seat brackets done ...

20170717_125421.jpg

Seats look the same as last page just secure. I was able to bolt the seats in for now..

Still hoping for a joy ride 2nd of August, just need to get the brake hard lines done..

My co-pilots (who past) old collar location ...

20170717_150727.jpg

I left the $2 hook and screws I use to hook him up to in the truck

• Like 1

Well things are moving along....

Modified my shifter, nice and tight and I was able to pin the handle to I doesn't move.....

20170723_162202.jpg

Got all the brake hardline bent and all connected.... all boring pics....

I also installed my prop valve....

20170722_135503.jpg

Need to bleed the system and I should have working brakes...

So I should be on track for a joy ride on August 2nd...

Should probably get the seat belts installed since I won't have any doors on it... don't need the wife falling out on our anniversary, that won't get me laid..

• Like 2

Well i think i ended up will all the brake fluid on the floor before I stopped all the leaks... had to tighten just about everything, and one reflare...

I Finally have working brakes.... still need to adjust the proportioning valve, and see how good they really are with some speed.... I was able to drive around my house for a test and it stopped but I wasn't moving that fast so....

• Like 1

Well its bad when you wonder how the hell 93 pathfinder seat belts were ever installed in my 521....

Previous owner did some stupid stuff to make them work. Not at all safe...

Oh shit I'm the hack previous owner....

Damn it.... I guess seat belts with be on the list of things to order....

Along with a new oil pan gasket.... never sealed properly after I fixed my timing cover issue.... I hate leaks... then I went to my garage last night and drivers rear brake line leaked... one more line to tighten.... luckily it still had fluid in the master, but I will probably bleed the system again regardless....

• Like 1

So maybe a day late but today was fucking awesome.... got rained out last night for the joyride on my anniversary....but today we Took it around the block about a half mile round trip.... it was all I could do to not keep driving, but the last thing I need is to have it impounded ....

Motor was worth all the pain and effort, I stomped on the pedal and couldn't believe the power, even impressed my wife.... what a difference from before... the airfuel ratio seemed pretty stable between 12 and 14.... but I haven't even touched the carb other than to set the idle.... I can only imagine once I start tuning it.....

Couple pics as the truck currently sits,

20170803_133615.jpg

20170803_133555.jpg

and yes we drove with that 2 gallon gas can on my battery for the gas tank....

My awesome little L16.. 84mm bores, 10.7 to 1 cr.. w53 head, Schneider cam,

Single 40 for weber....

20170803_133631.jpg

Today's ride definately got me fired up to push forward on this build...

Alot of finish work to do now.....

I guess it's time to get back to painting...

my realistic time line now is to be driving on the road legally this spring.... see how that goes...

• Like 3

Thanks.... I can't believe how much fun it was to drive.... we passed by the trash collectors, first guys had a wtf look on his face, younger second kid I swear took a pic... but damn i think i am still gitty over driving it... cant belive its been all most 12 years since it drove it on the streets.....

• Like 1