A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Son of a bitch... new parts and things still don't work. But I finally figured it out.. Damn timing cover was to blame.. stroffregen you said the right thing in your last post .. turns out on the block i was missing a locating pin on the bottom left.. made a pin from a 5mm drill and everything went together like it should. Oh well one hell of a learning curve on that one....

And yes I was able to line up my old spindle shaft with the other what should have been new crank gear so the whole replace as a set theory I guess doesn't really apply and yes I can't return the new stuff...... gonna use the new oem ones and I guess I have a back up set now... only good thing is I didn't waste my time draining the motor and taking the cover off but I didn't need to waste money on the new parts.... oh well..

• Like 2

75 posts later and finally solved. That's good news.

I know it sucks being up there in the northeast all by your lonesome. I feel it here in my shop too. Since I work alone, I have to bounce my ideas off others in the industry. Working alone sucks sometimes.

Good job.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the help ideas and support.. I guess I shouldn't be to mad at myself. This was the first motor I ever built.. did a couple head gaskets but never something to this level.. now I can back to where I was 2 weeks ago.... glad I found the problem but all that for a damn 50cent dowel pin.... oh well... still need to reassemble only mocked up the parts last night...

New date to fire the motor at the dyno shop will be February 12th. I will have plenty of video to share after that day.

Thanks again to all....

• Like 1

I guess I learned something here, from the photos on here I learned that if the wrong spindle or gear are supplied, either the spindle will not even be close to going into position or it will drop in so easy that either the teeth will not engage at all, or they will barely touch.

And if the front cover goes on even a little off, it will feel strange when trying to install the spindle, and all of us except one will be clueless.

It baffles me how all the holes holding the front cover on the block/head lined up, especially the two small 10mm bolts on the front of the head that go down into the front cover, it seems like they would not have lined up, that is what the dowels are for, to make sure everything lines up.

• Like 1

Wayno you wouldn't believe how close it was. I was beside myself. Even before I pinned it how slight I moved the cover and the problem went away..

This may be a good piece of info to pin somewhere else. Mostly about the 2 pins. Make sure they are there. They definitely are important to the alignment of the oil pump spindle..

• Like 1

Just got the timing cover on correctly with both dowel pins installed this time..

Oil pump and distributor installed.. got good oil pressure on my gauge when I crank the motor and distributor is sparking....

Radiator and new plugs going on tomorrow..

One more step closer to starting the motor..

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome!!! I'm in Southern NH own a `69 510. We have got to meet up this spring fer sure. I'm driving to Canby Oregon in June for the Canby event with a bunch of guys from, VA, MD, IN, ILL, MT. So if we can we should meet up prior to June. You give me an address and possible day "weekend prefered" and I'll bring the beer 8>) We can work on the truck if you'd like I owned one in high school '70-'74 and was a Datsun mechanic at Sun Datsun '76-'79 in Whittier Cali.

Lou

• Like 2

Awesome!!! I'm in Southern NH own a `69 510. We have got to meet up this spring fer sure. I'm driving to Canby Oregon in June for the Canby event with a bunch of guys from, VA, MD, IN, ILL, MT. So if we can we should meet up prior to June. You give me an address and possible day "weekend prefered" and I'll bring the beer 8>) We can work on the truck if you'd like I owned one in high school '70-'74 and was a Datsun mechanic at Sun Datsun '76-'79 in Whittier Cali.

Lou

We're going to Canby from Pasco, WA, about 240 miles from Canby. Leaving Friday morning.

If our times are anywhere near sync'd up, caravan with us.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...