Project Hondatsun

SteadFast

I really need to learn how to weld!  Life would be much easier.  I realized that my header only has one o2 port, and I need two (wideband and narrowband).  So I pulled the header and off the the welder to add an additional one.  What I've completed recently:

cleaned up wiring

mounted dash

mounted driver seat

mocked up the s2000 gas pedal

Pictures to come this weekend!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welding is simple, welding pretty is a bit harder.

Pick up something like this.  Cant really go wrong, or snatch up a cheap craigslist one.  Its not as hard as you think.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/tweco-fabricator-141i-multi-process-welding-system-w1003141?gclid=COqU3oCtu9ICFUxWDQodoOUHCg

Not an issue for mine. I've been running that sti R180 set up for 5 years now and it works real nice. One thing I ran into was the shaft coupling flange on my dif was a bit to large in diameter to fit through the cross member opening. I pulled it off and replaced it with a Z 5 speed flange and it was off to the races. 

So the rear end is going in this weekend.  I understand what you are saying about the flange being too big.  I've already removed it, but would it make sense to install the diff without the STi flange, and then bolt the STI flange back on after it passed through the cross member?  I like the idea of using what came with the diff, and not something from a questionable Datsun rear end that I have no history with.  

Time for a good update.  I got the diff and brakes/clutch line installed today.  The seat mounted.  The cluster mounted and installed.

NYvDVOEl.jpg

uVCTYyZl.jpg

zwE3Agrl.jpg

3ocIYasl.jpg

WPTlQ38l.jpg

jdAVO4il.jpg

FRGxgwHl.jpg

The last picture looks a little funny due to the panorama I was trying to take inside car.  I can assure you it is straight! The vinyl is also what I'll use to wrap the hood/roof/trunk.

The STI R180 diff, and the driveshaft shop axle kit are a match made in heaven.  I did decide to use the OEM Subaru flange.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry that my friend doesn't know how to turn the phone sideways. But she lives!

Something is wrong with my brakes though. I've never had manual (unassisted) brakes, so I'm not sure what they feel like. Anyone in the Bay Area want to come over and give me their thoughts on them? Up front I have wilwoods with wilwood brake cyl, and on the rear I have 280zx brakes.

Next steps:

1)Install radiator fan

2)Get an alignment

3)Start the process of working out bugs

• Like 3

I just learned that you can bleed the brake cyl. I've never had to do that before. I'm going to try that tonight and hope for the best. If not I'm going to lean on the community for help. I'm just not happy with the feel. It feels spongy and am able to press the pedal (hard) to the floor.

Nice to see this car finally coming together.........

..............been following it on Instacrap for a while then.........

......poof.......

.......here it is.....

Nice work!! :thumbup:

Are you bleeding with second person?

If you bled at the master, all 4 wheels have to get done again as well.

pedal is? :

quickly sinking to floor

slowly sinking to floor with decent resistance but just sinks

slowly sinking with so so resistance

help us help you :)

Edit:  Sorry just re-read above.  Spongy, but hard. 

Sounds like air to me.  Its gonna have a bit of squish at the first inch or so, but it should harden right up/ not sink.

Are you bleeding with second person?

If you bled at the master, all 4 wheels have to get done again as well.

pedal is? :

quickly sinking to floor

slowly sinking to floor with decent resistance but just sinks

slowly sinking with so so resistance

help us help you

Edit:  Sorry just re-read above.  Spongy, but hard. 

Sounds like air to me.  Its gonna have a bit of squish at the first inch or so, but it should harden right up/ not sink.

I was bleeding with a friend (the normal 2 person way). Got all the air out, no more bubbles after checking 2-3 times. The peddle is spongy but can be pressed to the floor and bottom out with a little force.

• 2 months later...

Time for a long overdue update. I was plagued with brake issues. First the bleed screws on the rear were junk, then a brake line was leaky, then the MC went out. I then went through two MCs that were bad out of the box. I now have everything fixed and the brakes are great. I've made a change in the seats and switched to Kirkeys. I've installed two of them and custom trans tunnel. So far I've finished:

Finish up wiring the brake lights and head lights from scratch

Install turn signal switch

Fix brakes

Get alignment

Install new seats

Fab tranny cover

Install rear window

Install front grill and radiator fan

A few random photos:

7KeblVRl.jpg

X8Gle3Ol.jpg

jaiGDx6l.jpg

All that is left is to somehow spruce up the interior a little. I'm thinking some quilted leather. I did this on a past project:

QXoPYOgl.jpg

And install the hood and wrap the hood. Then off to the dyno!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...